Author Topic: Strictly Come Dancing  (Read 26703 times)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
Strictly Come Dancing
« on: 10 October, 2009, 08:42:35 pm »
How many people on this forum right now are only here because they're hiding from Strictly Come Dancing, a hideously dull programme which will dominate many livingrooms on Saturday nights from now until Christmas?

Me for 1 >:(
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Re: Strictly Come Dancing
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2009, 08:51:57 pm »
I have X Factor to contend with.  Made even worse (if that is possible!) due to the theme for this evening being Robbie Williams' songs  :-X

Not long now hopefully until the house extension is finished and I can sit being grumpy on my own in a room far removed from people who are happy.  ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2009, 08:53:27 pm »
Mrs Z watches both  :-\
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Really Ancien

« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2009, 08:58:01 pm »
We're going to settle down and watch my DVD of Network.

Damon.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2009, 09:00:48 pm »
I can tolerate and even enjoy to some extent, Strictly Come Dancing. Good food and wine are an essential accompaniment of course. I have to say though, that I have never watched it in the early stages before and some of the rubbish dancers are just embarrassing. It's just too long, an hour would be much more comfortable.

/edit

We have just got to the bit where they decide who is going through and I really should add that this is really tedious TV. I might have to open another bottle of red.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #5 on: 10 October, 2009, 09:04:42 pm »
It's on now. I sit at the computer with headphones on and drinking cider.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #6 on: 10 October, 2009, 09:23:01 pm »

Damon.

Followed up by Broadcast News?  ;D

Just another night where the TV doesn't get switched on unless I want to watch a DVD.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7 on: 10 October, 2009, 09:32:21 pm »
I have X Factor to contend with.  Made even worse (if that is possible!) due to the theme for this evening being Robbie Williams' songs  :-X
No, it's rock legends night. Poor Stacey who is very good had to sing a Coldplay song, which offended me greatly as they are a dull boring snoozefest, not rock legends. I predict John & Edward to go out tonight as everyone hates them and the crowd booed the minute their names were mentioned.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 10 October, 2009, 09:49:39 pm »
I predict John & Edward to go out tonight as everyone hates them and the crowd booed the minute their names were mentioned.
I'd rather like to see them do (I'm Gonna Be) 500 Miles
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9 on: 10 October, 2009, 09:52:41 pm »
....I predict John & Edward to go out tonight as everyone hates them and the crowd booed the minute their names were mentioned.

That's nice.   ;D

« Reply #10 on: 10 October, 2009, 09:53:12 pm »
Mrs Nutty is a strictly fan.

This year I'm being less antisocial so watching it too*.

I was hoping that after strictlygate they'd take it off air, but as Ian Hislop said on Question Time the BBC are particularly proud of Strictly, and so this doesn't appear to be a likely happening.

* I did have to make an emergency supermarket trip during the coverage, and also cooked the evening meal.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 10 October, 2009, 09:57:54 pm »
I watched a television programme this week. It was the More4 play about Cameron & Johnson at Oxford, with some story about a pot plant being chucked through a restaurant window, Boris spending a night in the cells, and a hint that it was Cameron that threw the plant.

Other than that I'm struggling to think of the last time I watched the box. I've just had a demand for £142 for a licence. I certainly don't get value for money from it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #12 on: 10 October, 2009, 10:06:14 pm »

I'd rather like to see them do (I'm Gonna Be) 500 Miles

Eeek no. Pop twins can be divided into two categories.

Good pop twins - The Proclaimers

Bad pop twins - Bros, John & Edward

I wouldn't be surprised if they're our next year's Eurovision entry though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #13 on: 10 October, 2009, 10:22:27 pm »
Mrs Nutty is a strictly fan.

This year I'm being less antisocial so watching it too*.

mrs_o is a fan too, so I tend to "watch" it every now and then, albeit that comprising occasionally looking up from my book/laptop to catch some snippet or other.  Tonight's snippet made me wish for a program to be commissioned called "strictly come boxing" where the judge/participant roles for Clive Whassname-Doodah and Joe Calzaghe could be reversed (would probably be nice to have Bruno Whoosit on there as contestant too).  I think I was influenced by "prior art" from my youth where a comedian (or, just possibly a friend of mine, i don't rightly remember) suggested Pro-Celebrity boxing.

After "strictly", the televisual scheduling in the O household went downhill (yes that is possible  :o - mrs_o started flicking between X-Factor, Oliver Twist and Sex and the City, none of which would be my idea of a good night in).  I am therefore, antisocially  :-\,  off to bed with my Iain Banks book (Transitions) and a large malt. :D
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #14 on: 10 October, 2009, 11:40:15 pm »
I am a closet Strictly fan.  :-[ I've no idea why I like it. I usually hate these shows.

I did always love Fred and Ginger when I was little, but this is hardly the same...

Really Ancien

« Reply #15 on: 11 October, 2009, 12:14:03 am »

Damon.

Followed up by Broadcast News?  ;D

Faye Dunaway v Holly Hunter, an interesting contest. As a fan of tall redheads, Faye's ahead, but I admire feisty little Southerners, so Holly's coming up on the outside.

Damon.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #16 on: 12 October, 2009, 08:27:11 am »
Bring back Arlene Philips.

Nothing against Miss Dixon but just because she won one year does not make her an expert. No, that's my job.

H

Si

« Reply #17 on: 12 October, 2009, 09:50:51 am »
I normally hate any celeb based reality type contest show, but for some reason like strictly.  Dunno why, perhaps it's because, unlike that jungle thing or BB, they actually have to achieve something (apart from JS) rather than just sit there venting their spleens at each other.
And I don't mind watching a bit of dancing now and then.

However, Brucey does make me cringe a bit (even more so than Jo(e)'s dancing).  Normally he's just crap, but his joke about Jo's marital woes wasn't very nice.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #18 on: 20 November, 2010, 08:20:21 pm »
Is anyone here watching this year ? (Besides myself and Mrs C obviously !)  I've just phoned in our votes for Kara, Matt, Scott and Pamela.   This week I award the Sex on Legs Trophy to Aliona, the Charlie's Angels Cup to Tess, and the Car Crash TV Dented Hubcap to Ann.  In fact Ann's performance tonight was so bad she gets it for keeps.   Time for an exit !
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #19 on: 20 November, 2010, 08:25:37 pm »
SWMO tries to watch it most weeks and I haven't found a suitable hiding place for me.  This evening our daughter visited and "disturbed" our viewing.  Caught some acts but missed most comments.  Aliona is the one this week.

« Reply #20 on: 21 November, 2010, 02:51:21 pm »
What's not to like about strictly? Clunge everywhere. Perfect early evening entertainment before going down the pub of a Saturday evening.....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #21 on: 21 November, 2010, 04:19:50 pm »
What's not to like about strictly?

Bruce.  And AW.  other than that (thank heavens for iplayer and the ability to skip) it's all good :)

« Reply #22 on: 21 November, 2010, 04:34:36 pm »
Who or what is AW?

I can tolerate Bruce just as long as I know Dawn will be strutting her stuff after he's shut up....

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #23 on: 21 November, 2010, 04:39:43 pm »
Who or what is AW?

Ann Widdecombe.  At least her 90 seconds on the dance floor gives you a good opportunity to go and make a cup of tea and you can take advantage of the bits when they interview her to do something more interesting or engaging, such as cleaning out the cat litter tray.

« Reply #24 on: 21 November, 2010, 04:42:12 pm »
Oh! Yeah, I usually go to the kettle or fridge when she comes on...