Author Topic: Barbury Bash 1st July  (Read 1070 times)

Barbury Bash 1st July
« on: 06 June, 2012, 04:56:55 pm »
I am promoting Didcot Phoenix's Audax events on 1st July. There is a choice of either a 110 km or 210 km ride. Both involve stunning Oxfordshire countryside and the iron age fort of Barbury Castle. Entries to both events are most welcome.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Barbury Bash Sun 1st July
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2012, 01:58:27 pm »
Anyone seeking details of this fine event can read the threads from prevous years e.g. this one:

A very quick report...

...just to say had a marvellous day out, thanks to superlative organisation, kind weather, a lovely route and excellent company all day in the form of Phil D.

Huge big up for mattc and helpers for organising this ride so well.  He really does push the boat out ensuring comfort and care for the riders.  Whilst I don't mind shoestring events, it was a real treat to have loads of food available at the start, masses of cakes and bananas and drinks at the roadside controls and a veritable feast of stuff at the finish, anyone would think we were on a £25 sportive!  Phil and I had a scoff at all of these and didnt need to go to Marlborough for grub or stop at any of the countless pubs we saw en route.  Thanks matt, it helps make the ride a bit of a special one  :thumbsup:

Official page and entry is here:
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/12-494/
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Barbury Bash 1st July
« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2012, 04:51:12 pm »
Routecheck report:

No proper issues with the route or the instructions, but I have a couple of 'advisories':

- Just after GREAT BEDWYN:
"After 2km R no SP"
...should really be 1.5km. (This SP disappeared in the last 12 months - I guess it will return one day).

- About 5km after the Rainforest control, there was a road closure at Quick Hill. If it's still closed on Sunday, just follow the "Pangbourne" signs. You'll meet the routesheet again at:
"L at T no SP
Then R at mini RA onto A329
"
Easy-peasy, I promise.

Road surfaces were very good indeed. Until Chute, anyway ... They get rather agricultural until Thatcham. And then they're very good again!
The single worst road is Hyde Lane just after Ecchinswell. With hindsight, the route would be better to skip this, taking the next right instead. I can't officialy recommend this, as I don't have a verbatim routesheet update for you; but if you have a GPS you might want to reprogramme it. I suspect this road was in OK condition when the event first ran (many years ago now).

Finally, do pay VERY close attention between Chute and Ecchinswell - I have now gone off route 2 times out of 3 on this section! But I'm still 99% sure the routesheet is correct.

As Ian mentioned in the other thread, he's still taking entries ( Paypal is probably best):
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/12-493/
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/12-494/

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: Barbury Bash 1st July
« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2012, 07:55:03 pm »
Thanks to last minute entry, this was a great late decision for me having copped out of Peacocks & Kites the day before.

Thanks to the controllers at Barbury Castle, Chute Causeway and Living Rainforest.  Most especially to Ian for his hospitality and the most welcome cup of tea on finishing.

Also good to meet mattc and discuss audaxes versus sportives as well!