Author Topic: Members Fixed Gear & SS  (Read 331765 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Members Fixed Gear & SS
« Reply #925 on: 03 June, 2013, 11:45:12 am »
I see luggage...is there a bike under there?
Oh yes ;)
The green bits that aren't weeds are probably bike ;D

What front rack is that?  I was looking at a Blackburn one.  Interested to hear views.
Salsa 'Minimalist' - mainly there in case I need to carry Extra Stuff in an emergency; I can lash stuff to the top using a couple of luggage straps or similar. Whether it makes the cut into the 'final' kit list remains to be seen.

I assume you're trading gears for reliability on the Tour Divide.
Yep - that was the thinking behind fitting a White Industries freewheel. The other alternative is to run a single sprocket on a cassette hub.

The (current) ratio is 32/17, which I find comfortable(ish) on draggy climbs. If all else fails, I'll just get off and push - after all, who's gonna see me? ;)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #926 on: 03 June, 2013, 11:48:04 am »

What front rack is that?

the horizontal one,which appears to be secured to the head tube?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #927 on: 03 June, 2013, 11:49:39 am »

What front rack is that?

the horizontal one,which appears to be secured to the head tube?
Bazinga!

Well played, sir.

« Reply #928 on: 05 June, 2013, 01:21:02 am »

My 99 Orange Evo2

now featuring:

34:16 magic gearing - velosolo 1/8 chainring and spacer kit
Trigon rigid carbon forks
spa wheels and Onza Canis 120tpi XC tyres
Avid Elixir CR brakes

A complete hoot, and the old front mech is now doing duty on my flat bar LHT

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #929 on: 06 June, 2013, 03:46:37 pm »

Singlespeed by dibdib2, on Flickr

And yes, I know the chain's a bit slack.

Loosely based on a 1987 Raleigh Criterium I bought last year from the Salvation Army, with a few changes. In fact the only standard things left are the frame, forks, headset and handlebars. The old Weinmann cantis have been replaced with modern Sora dual-pivots, contact points have been refreshed with new bar tape, a Charge Spoon saddle and SPD/platform pedals. Wheels are new with cassette freehubs and a VeloSolo singlespeed kit, and a VeloSolo front chainring on some Sturmey Archer cranks. Gearing is 44/17 for a 69" gear.

It needs a bit more work though, including some minor frame surgery to lengthen the driveside dropout and give some adjustment room.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #930 on: 06 June, 2013, 04:02:53 pm »
Looks nice :)

Until you feel like fettling out the right dropout, I'd just fit a tensioner (or an old rear mech) and get out riding :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #931 on: 06 June, 2013, 04:26:24 pm »
Looks nice :)

Until you feel like fettling out the right dropout, I'd just fit a tensioner (or an old rear mech) and get out riding :)
Chain tensioner's fine if you're planning to run singlespeed - doing it with a fixed transmission will not end well.

Any framebuilder should be able to replace the rear dropouts with either longer horizontal dropouts (Zeus/Campag style) or track-ends, but then you'll need to get it resprayed too. Deciding whether or not its worth the expense is a judgement call, though.

Or you could use a half-link chain.

Oh, and the chain's a bit slack ;)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #932 on: 06 June, 2013, 04:30:01 pm »
I might go fixed one day, so I'm thinking of the frame surgery route - the left dropout is longer and there's plenty of metal on the right to extend it to match the left so I was planning to carefully file it out then touch it up with some hammerite :)

LEE

« Reply #933 on: 06 June, 2013, 04:34:32 pm »
I might go fixed one day, so I'm thinking of the frame surgery route - the left dropout is longer and there's plenty of metal on the right to extend it to match the left so I was planning to carefully file it out then touch it up with some hammerite :)

Should have just bought my Pinarello last week for £250, used the White Industries Hub Wheel and re-sold the Pinarello with your existing wheel for £210.

Not sure I can recommend buying a £170 hub for a Sally-Ann bike.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #934 on: 06 June, 2013, 05:04:38 pm »

Should have just bought my Pinarello last week for £250, used the White Industries Hub Wheel and re-sold the Pinarello with your existing wheel for £210.

Not sure I can recommend buying a £170 hub for a Sally-Ann bike.

The problem is that I would have intended to sell the Pinarello, and never actually let it go. It's a very pretty bike, and my wallet can't take another hit like it!

On the other hand, if the Raleigh hadn't already been in the garage I probably would have bought the Pinarello. C'est la vie.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #935 on: 07 June, 2013, 11:15:19 pm »

Is it the right size for you? The height of the saddle and bars make me think not, but it's all very personal.

I think I still have a half link chain that's never been used. If it would help, let me know. If so, I'll search and you can have it for the price of postage.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #936 on: 08 June, 2013, 08:41:30 pm »

Is it the right size for you? The height of the saddle and bars make me think not, but it's all very personal.

I think I still have a half link chain that's never been used. If it would help, let me know. If so, I'll search and you can have it for the price of postage.

Yes, pretty much. I just need to fettle it a bit. It's been on a workstand in the garage for the best part of a year, fitting wasn't high on the list :-)

« Reply #937 on: 14 June, 2013, 08:11:56 pm »
Here's my fixed, converted from my old Olmo, and long since sold via the Bay of Shame. To be honest, I wish I'd kept it geared.....

More on my Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/houseofsparrowfall/with/4269395806/

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #938 on: 27 June, 2013, 07:01:49 pm »
Behold ... the TrailMonsterTM

This is a 'remix' of my formerly Alfine-equipped 1x1, now rebuilt as a fixed-gear as God intended :) Actually, it's a Dingle-speed - 17/21 Dingle cog at the back, 38/34T chainrings up front; one gear for the road, one for the trail - it's geared pretty low since it is meant as an off-road machine.

Needs a bit of work done on the brake hoses (rear needs shortening, front needs a longer hose) but it's quite rideable and, shall we say, 'interesting'.

Its currently in 'road' mode, meaning slicks and mudguards, but for fire-road shenanigans the 'guards come off and a pair of 2.0" knobblies go on although being a Surly there's enough clearance for 2.7" DH tyres if I'm so inclined.

Showing the hipsters how it should be done ;)

« Reply #939 on: 30 June, 2013, 12:41:41 am »
Just built up an old Peugeot Aravis/Aneto frame in 531 Professional as a fixed gear/singlespeed. Frame is 58cm, slightly small for me I think, and still getting positioning right, as well as learning not to coast and to get my foot out of the clip quickly on stopping:) There's just clearance for 25mm tyres in the frame, but not for 28 ultremos.

Aimed to keep it nicely 80s bling, without the gears.

A few pics:

« Reply #940 on: 30 June, 2013, 12:47:53 am »
That look real lovely, look like a proper fixed road bike.

Is the reach feel right for you? cause if it is, then it's pretty much the correct size for you, otherwise you'd be putting a 120mm stem on.

« Reply #941 on: 30 June, 2013, 12:56:09 am »
Thanks. Yes, I think I'm going to need a longer stem. Shame, cause that will leave me a lovely Nitto Deluxe in the box, though I've a an old Harry Keiller Mixte frame that I ought to build up sometime that it could go on.

Rides nicely though.

« Reply #942 on: 30 June, 2013, 07:58:34 am »
What are those brake levers? Never seen anything like them.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #943 on: 30 June, 2013, 09:04:29 am »
Just built up an old Peugeot Aravis/Aneto frame in 531 Professional as a fixed gear/singlespeed. Frame is 58cm, slightly small for me I think, and still getting positioning right, as well as learning not to coast and to get my foot out of the clip quickly on stopping:) There's just clearance for 25mm tyres in the frame, but not for 28 ultremos.

Aimed to keep it nicely 80s bling, without the gears.

A few pics:

Very nice  :P

« Reply #944 on: 30 June, 2013, 11:57:01 am »
 ???  :facepalm:  :o

:-[  ::-)

« Reply #945 on: 30 June, 2013, 12:09:38 pm »
Oh dear. You OK?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #946 on: 30 June, 2013, 12:14:58 pm »
As there's still air in the tyre either (a) you weren't going very fast; or (b) you came flying off. Looking at the state of the shrubbery, I'll go with (b).
[/Sherlock]

Oh and I think you need a new chainring
[/no_shit_Sherlock]
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #947 on: 30 June, 2013, 04:48:39 pm »
I'm fine! I was leg breaking  :-[ braking  ;D and turning, a 90o right, onto a shared path where there is a two inch step between the road and the path. Chain shipped on the low kerb and the wheel jammed and freed itself before finally stopping eight feet further on. No damage except for minor scratches at the BB.

Took a couple of minutes to yank the chain out and put it back on. I decided that I'd take it easier from then to home, about six miles to go. But I was on the A127 and got up to 27mph between Bellhouse and Kent Elms.

I have a new chain ring, chain and sprocket to go on.  :thumbsup:
Or I could just pull the wheel back?   :facepalm:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #948 on: 30 June, 2013, 09:21:39 pm »
Just built up an old Peugeot Aravis/Aneto frame in 531 Professional as a fixed gear/singlespeed. <...>

incidentally i have both slr saddle and trp levers on my single speed, only in different materials and colours :)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #949 on: 30 June, 2013, 09:59:55 pm »
Thanks. Yes, I think I'm going to need a longer stem. Shame, cause that will leave me a lovely Nitto Deluxe in the box, though I've a an old Harry Keiller Mixte frame that I ought to build up sometime that it could go on.

Or, you could sell it to me. I'm in the market for a short-ish reach high stem.

Pm me if interested.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?