Author Topic: Members Fixed Gear & SS  (Read 334881 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Members Fixed Gear & SS
« Reply #175 on: 03 March, 2010, 07:30:03 pm »
On the Inbred, which has a wishbone rear end, I used Elite plastic strap-on bottle bosses at the base of the seat tube and on the wishbone.  I then cut pieces from square and round-section aluminium tube to drop the mudguards closer to the tyre.  Luckily there are rear mudguard eyes on the frame and the Kona P2 fork also has them.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #176 on: 04 March, 2010, 02:47:35 pm »

This is N+1. Rog trying to understand what this fixed thing is all about.
About 150 miles so far - and downhills over 40kph scare me witless - hoping that cadence eases off before I die.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

rogerzilla

« Reply #177 on: 04 March, 2010, 06:38:13 pm »
Try a more rearward position (shorter stem and more saddle setback).  The bike is much less likely to throw you over the bars and you can concentrate on twiddling.  MTBs make docile fixies because of the shallow head angle; the front wheel is much further in front.

I reckon I can wind up to 180rpm now - not all that impressive, I know, but 150rpm used to terrify me.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #178 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:16:49 pm »
Thx for comment - the bike was a cheapy off fleabay - and to get a shorter stem etc - I would really have to change forks et al. Already had to bodge to get bars up to a reasonable ride position.
Give me a bit of time to see what I make of this fixie business - then if I like it - I can spend £s altering the set up to make the whole experience better ( or even buy a new bike - set up for me!! - sshh - dont tell anyone)

So far so good and there is an East Anglian plan to get a couple of new fixie riders to do a 200 at the end of March - (and it isnt a pancake flat one either).
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #179 on: 05 March, 2010, 06:58:58 pm »
N+1

The SECRET Fixie project is revealed...

« Reply #180 on: 05 March, 2010, 07:10:00 pm »
Ha!!! Ooooh lovely. I'm biased, but that is tasty  :) That Nitto stuff is nice to work with, isn't it?

I see your hub budget was larger than mine  :P Some day...

I have a box of Brooks bar tape to go on mine sometime - how do you find it?

Lovely bike.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #181 on: 05 March, 2010, 07:22:53 pm »
That is class  :thumbsup:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Chris S

« Reply #182 on: 05 March, 2010, 07:36:16 pm »
That is lovely.

One teensy weensy thing. Are you 20 feet tall?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #183 on: 05 March, 2010, 07:47:37 pm »
Only the presence of the Brooks prevented me from having a little 'happiness accident'.

Rather marvellous.
Getting there...

« Reply #184 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:32:26 pm »
Thanks all  ;D

It's a 23.5" Vigorelli frame made to look a lot bigger by the high bottom bracket height.  The top tube is the samelength as Pluck's 23" frame, so I gained a bit of handlebar height without becoming too stretched out.

Kit list:

Phil Wood hubs, Sapim Race spokes, Rigida Chrina Rims, 36 3x.

Panaracer Pasela 700x25c, SKS 'guards.

Sugino chainset, UN54 BB, Wipperman chain, Hubjub sprocket, Phil lockring. 

Shimano BR650 brakes and BL600 levers.

Nitto 65 seatpost, Pearl stem and 47cm Santana bars.  Brooks Swift Ti saddle and leather bar tape.

« Reply #185 on: 05 March, 2010, 08:34:49 pm »
Have you been out on it - fit you well?

rogerzilla

« Reply #186 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:02:05 pm »
zOMG you must be 6'5" at least!

« Reply #187 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:08:09 pm »
Whats with that bar angle though ?

« Reply #188 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:10:56 pm »
Whats with that bar angle though ?

Wide angle lens makes it look odd - the tops are flat, just how I like them!  The second to last piccie is a better representation.  <EDIT> changed the last one now it was annoying me! :-)

6'2" Rogerzilla - it's that high bottom bracket that makes it look HUUUUUUUUGE.

EDIT:  Actually the saddle may end up coming down a couple of cm once I've road tested it properly - I've erred on the side of big to avoid a little scratched band of seatpost.  You know how it is..

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #189 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:15:13 pm »
That is lovely.

One teensy weensy thing. Are you 20 feet tall?

My thoughts exactly. On both counts.

Gorgeous bike.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #190 on: 05 March, 2010, 09:38:01 pm »
 Tewdric that Bob Jackson is beautiful, a true beauty.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #191 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:03:25 pm »
I have to say - a rather impressive looking machine!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #192 on: 06 March, 2010, 09:36:08 am »
That is mouth-wateringly lovely, I even don't mind the Brooks saddle on it! But I have to agree with MSeries, the upturned bars spoils it.

« Reply #193 on: 06 March, 2010, 09:36:43 am »
That is mouth-wateringly lovely, I even don't mind the Brooks saddle on it! But I have to agree with MSeries, the upturned bars spoils it.
I never said that

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #194 on: 06 March, 2010, 12:14:10 pm »
OK, I agree with you about questioning the tilt, the opinion I came subsequently arrived it is purely my own!  :)

« Reply #195 on: 06 March, 2010, 01:11:51 pm »

They're not upturned! :-)  It really is a trick of the photo angle and curve of the bars, honest guv.

« Reply #196 on: 06 March, 2010, 01:15:01 pm »
OK, I agree with you about questioning the tilt, the opinion I came subsequently arrived it is purely my own!  :)

;) 

« Reply #197 on: 06 March, 2010, 01:52:54 pm »
Ha!!! Ooooh lovely. I'm biased, but that is tasty  :) That Nitto stuff is nice to work with, isn't it?

I see your hub budget was larger than mine  :P Some day...

I have a box of Brooks bar tape to go on mine sometime - how do you find it?

Lovely bike.

The Nitto components are lovely for sure.  I will take great comfort riding along knowing my stem is approved for Keirin :^)

Brooks bar tape is OK to apply but you do need to get some stretch into it to make it neat.  It has double sided sticky tape on it that can pull the surface off the leather if you have two or three goes at sticking.  I used the lines of dots as a guide to gettig a  consistent overlap - in that respect it's easier than normal bar tape!  For wide (47cm) bars I used three dots as a guide on the drops and two dots on the tops to give a thicker overlap whe I use it most.  When you start fitting it you'll see what I mean!

It was my first time with he new type SKS mudguard fittings too - the stay end caps with the bit that wraps round the retaining bolt.  They give a nice finish but what a faff!

rogerzilla

« Reply #198 on: 06 March, 2010, 03:59:11 pm »
The polar opposite to Tewdric's bike in terms of elegance, but since the Inbred has been cleaned for the first time in its life, here's how the mudguards are attached.

New Wipperman anti-rust chain and the longest layback seatpost available:

This is an Elite strap-on bottle cage boss round the rear wishbone, with a piece of square-section aluminium to drop down and bolt onto the mudguard bridge.  The extra bit of metal sticking up is just there to prevent the plastic strap of the boss pinging out of its ratchet - it's normally held in place by a bottle cage, you see.

As there's no chainstay bridge (track ends - don't need one) another Elite boss is strapped around the base of the seat tube.  This time I used a very long M5 bolt inside some tubular aluminium, with two penny washers around the mudguard to stop it cracking.

The front fork has suspension-corrected geometry so there is a loooong drop to the tyre.  All that's needed here is some square-section aluminium.

And this shot is just for Clarion, because of the head badge.  The BBB Headspace bell is quite neat.

When the frame gets rusty and manky I'll have proper bottle bosses brazed on - probably one under the wishbone and one at the base of the seat tube.  I'll also have the f&f done in 2-pack tango orange  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #199 on: 06 March, 2010, 04:18:12 pm »

And this shot is just for Clarion, because of the head badge.  The BBB Headspace bell is quite neat.

It's nice to know you care :-*

Interesting set up.  Top fettling :thumbsup:
Getting there...