Author Topic: Members Fixed Gear & SS  (Read 331731 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Members Fixed Gear & SS
« Reply #550 on: 10 January, 2011, 12:04:35 pm »
Great looking bike there - skinny steel tubes in a lush colour, bars and levers are almost at the right angle, and not a Brooks in sight.  :thumbsup:

Plus it looks about my size, which always makes them look more appealing.

Dave Yates, Blue Cobalto, ca 1998  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #551 on: 10 January, 2011, 12:15:21 pm »
Great looking bike there - skinny steel tubes in a lush colour, bars and levers are almost at the right angle, and not a Brooks in sight.  :thumbsup:

Plus it looks about my size, which always makes them look more appealing.

Dave Yates, Blue Cobalto, ca 1998  :thumbsup:
Flam. Ruby with golden yellow transfers is the way forward :)
It's what my old 631 was wearing when I sold it and it looked bloody gorgeous. I think "The Beast" is metallic black, but it's hard to tell under all the muck ;)

« Reply #552 on: 10 January, 2011, 12:55:07 pm »

My Xmas project, bought the frame in November, wheels and stuff followed shortly after.

All built on the cheap, apart from tyres and tubes all secondhand or discounted parts....

Gosh.  Bet it goes like shit off a stick ;)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #553 on: 10 January, 2011, 01:16:50 pm »
My Xmas project, bought the frame in November, wheels and stuff followed shortly after.

All built on the cheap, apart from tyres and tubes all secondhand or discounted parts....

Gosh.  Bet it goes like shit off a stick ;)

*ahem* not with me riding it, it doesn't :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

rdaviesb

« Reply #554 on: 10 January, 2011, 02:47:34 pm »
Nearly as stylish as my "brown" langster.......

Chris S

« Reply #555 on: 10 January, 2011, 02:50:35 pm »
We clearly need a Pompinos in Action thread  :thumbsup:

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #556 on: 13 January, 2011, 06:46:32 pm »
Not in action, but here goes.... My Pompino now with the IQ Cyo light fitted.

With these front lights, snow and ice are a thing of the past as they melt anything in front of me.

And just now I've changed the rear so that I now have Marathon Pluses front and back. By bye punctures !!

« Reply #557 on: 13 January, 2011, 07:36:00 pm »
Very big thumbs up to that - absolutely lovely.  Just needs a black Super C Barley instead of that clickfix coffin thing...

;D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #558 on: 13 January, 2011, 08:56:09 pm »
Not going to let the Pompinos dominate (much as I'd actually like one) so I thought I'd take a few more pics of Orange-Gina the Genesis. Note that these were taken at night (duh!) and were mainly a way to let me test the flash on my new camera :)

With no panniers and the unfeasibly lovely Tubus 'Fly' rear rack.

Ready for the off with two panniers full of junk (mainly insurance documents and the like as a result of getting my car pranged yesterday, also contains the contents of my ex-car)

Yer bog-standard three-quarter view which also shows off our extraordinarily useless grit spreader (which has 'CLAUDIUS' written on it in large, friendly letters for some odd reason)

Lighting - not quite in Exposure territory, but the Cateye TripleShot does the job. I've got a Schmidt SON on my Dave Yates fixed but it's currently hooked up to a rather naff old switched Lumotec. A pair of IQ Cyos are on the shopping list once I've got all my car-related malarkey out of the way (my Alfinised Marin has a Shimano dynamo hub, but again with an old switched Lumotec)

Currently running on 70" fixed, but given how much of a grind today's ride was I may well flip the wheel round and run 63" for a wee while until I get my knees bedded in  ;D

Chris S

« Reply #559 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:11:50 pm »
I love this thread  :)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #560 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:32:39 pm »
Yep ... can't help thinking that my chain looks a bit slack though  ;D

Chris S

« Reply #561 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:35:47 pm »

Well... I didn't want to criticise, you know... you being new here an' all...  ;D

« Reply #562 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:39:17 pm »

I didn't like to say  :)

Very decent bike.

As is Tail End Charlie's Pompino.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #563 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:50:50 pm »

I didn't like to say  :)

Very decent bike.

As is Tail End Charlie's Pompino.
Never been keen on white bikes, but no knocking the SQR bag - useful bit of kit, that. I was more interested in the brakes, TBH, because I'm considering putting either mini-Vs or cantis on my Yates (the Genesis has mini-Vs with bog-standard road levers, which actually works very well)

Mind you, that's probably a bit rich coming from someone who rides a bike which is radioactive orange and has to buy orange nail varnish from the place where his girlfriend gets her nails done as it's the only way I can get a colour match  8) I tried the outrageous orange that Ford used on the early Fiesta and Focus STs, but it looked horrible.

Next upgrade - carbon forks ... :)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #564 on: 18 January, 2011, 09:28:56 pm »
Yet another Pompino!

Pleased with it on the tiny little spin around the block I have had.  First time I've owned a fixed bike - ridden them a few times, mainly on track - so LOTS to learn.  There's a rack to fit and it's good to go as a commuter to stop me carrying my laptop bag over my shoulder on the Brompton (and preventing further borkage of my shoulder)!

Can't wait to ride it properly now!  Oh and I need to get dremeltastic with the mudguard stays. Later.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #565 on: 18 January, 2011, 09:37:10 pm »
Yet another Pompino!
Nooooooooooooooooooo! :)
I am thinking, however, that transplanting the stuff off my aging, Alfine-ised Marin Point Reyes onto a Pompetamine frame might be the way forward when my insurance cheque turns up :)

EDIT: Or maybe not, due to the lack of rear brake bosses on the frame. Knackers! :(

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #566 on: 18 January, 2011, 10:00:01 pm »
That is very nice... my n+1 cravings are off again!

LEE

« Reply #567 on: 18 January, 2011, 10:01:27 pm »
Yet another Pompino!

Pleased with it on the tiny little spin around the block I have had.  First time I've owned a fixed bike - ridden them a few times, mainly on track - so LOTS to learn.  There's a rack to fit and it's good to go as a commuter to stop me carrying my laptop bag over my shoulder on the Brompton (and preventing further borkage of my shoulder)!

Can't wait to ride it properly now!

Is this the first matching bike and Kitchen in the Gallery?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #568 on: 18 January, 2011, 10:11:27 pm »
I dunno, but phwooooaaarrrr! Check out the worktops on that :)

« Reply #569 on: 18 January, 2011, 11:53:39 pm »
Yet another Pompino!

Pleased with it on the tiny little spin around the block I have had.  First time I've owned a fixed bike - ridden them a few times, mainly on track - so LOTS to learn.  There's a rack to fit and it's good to go as a commuter to stop me carrying my laptop bag over my shoulder on the Brompton (and preventing further borkage of my shoulder)!

Can't wait to ride it properly now!

Wow, looks really good.
Mind those mudguard stays though, good way to ruin a good leg by impaling on one of them  ;D

rdaviesb

« Reply #570 on: 19 January, 2011, 05:48:47 am »
I do like those brake levers....very nice indeed. :thumbsup:

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #571 on: 19 January, 2011, 11:45:17 am »

I had the kitchen fitted to match!  Not sure the girlfriend's going to be so happy when I have to have it done in orange to match the next bike to arrive in the fleet!

Thanks for the comments though everyone - and I will attack the mudguard stays with the Dremel this weekend, though I have the pesky Willy Warmer to get around first (not on this bike - I'll save fixed audaxing until I have a bit more experience on t'cog), so we'll see what energy levels are like on Sunday!

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #572 on: 19 January, 2011, 04:28:15 pm »
Nicely colour coordinated bike. Are you going to use the oven gloves draped over the top tube as panniers?

Oh, and the chain's a bit ..................... gold !!

« Reply #573 on: 19 January, 2011, 09:12:17 pm »
Nice looking pompino, bolt cutters is better to trim the stays and fit caps after, much neater and safer.

Chris S

« Reply #574 on: 19 January, 2011, 09:15:49 pm »
Nice looking pompino, bolt cutters is better to trim the stays and fit caps after, much neater and safer.

But put your safety specs on, or shut your eyes tight shut, because the bits ptwang off at very high velocity  :o