Author Topic: Members Fixed Gear & SS  (Read 334634 times)

Re: Members Fixed Gear & SS
« Reply #625 on: 19 May, 2011, 04:19:18 pm »
In memory.

That bike of yours was a classic, Peter. It was the first fixed I saw in action. You came alongside me during the 200km Carmarthenshire Snapper (2009) near Rhandirmwyn not long after I had bought my Thorn RST Rohloff. You were about to comment on how clean/nice my bike looked but I butted in and said "Bloody hell, that bike of yours is rusty!" before you shot up the hill leaving me trailing in your wake :o  Ever since then, each time I've seen that bike it's received my full respect, and you as a rider - fair play. Thanks to you though, I've spent a fortune on a deluxe fixie for myself having tested the water for 12 months prior  >:(

Hope the new bike is as good to you as the rusty one  :thumbsup:
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

« Reply #626 on: 19 May, 2011, 04:36:21 pm »
Thanks to you though, I've spent a fortune on a deluxe fixie for myself having tested the water for 12 months prior  >:(

That looks very nice. Funnily enough my new frame is the same as your old one - a Pearson Touche.

« Reply #627 on: 19 May, 2011, 04:54:40 pm »
Thanks to you though, I've spent a fortune on a deluxe fixie for myself having tested the water for 12 months prior  >:(

That looks very nice. Funnily enough my new frame is the same as your old one - a Pearson Touche.

You'll still beat me though!
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #628 on: 20 May, 2011, 12:05:04 am »
In memory.
In some ways the most precious thing I own but at the same time a bike I never minded leaving locked anywhere. If I lived on my own I would hang the frame on a wall.

Blimey - what a touching tribute to a long-serving tool, work-horse and friend. I am amazed at the lengths you went to to make the frame keep going for 22 years. (I, like others here, I'm sure, have frames that old and older, but it sounds as thought yours may have worked a bit harder for its keep than some). Please tell me;
  • were there any original parts left that were transplanted?
  • what does junior think of the whole business?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #629 on: 23 May, 2011, 02:31:38 pm »
Please tell me;
  • were there any original parts left that were transplanted?
  • what does junior think of the whole business?

Not much left from the original bike, only the seatpost and seatpost quick release clamp (thinking about it now I don't know why I didn't take that off years ago).

My son isn't quite so attached to it and for a while has been telling me to get a new bike. Now I have he wants to take the 'rusty bike' to the scrap yard so it can be made into a car, fridge, etc..!

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #630 on: 28 May, 2011, 09:49:31 pm »

Harry Hall Columbus SLX NEW track Circa 1990

Heres my old track bike. Converted for road use years back though I don't use it anymore and want to restore it back for track

Its missing the original chrome columbus forks, White rolls saddle and wheel set. Needs a respray though I think the paint is enamalled ? And that bar tape has to be changed I hate it. Cinelli bars /seat post, Headset Chorus/ Forks some Japanese threaded

« Reply #631 on: 28 May, 2011, 10:53:39 pm »
What's the gearing on that?  It looks like a pretty big chainring for road use.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #632 on: 28 May, 2011, 11:43:42 pm »
What's the gearing on that?  It looks like a pretty big chainring for road use.

I reckon it still has track gearing fitted probably 88" or there abouts.
"Don't stop pedalling"

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #633 on: 28 May, 2011, 11:47:52 pm »
Hi Timo. It's running a 54 x 16. I used it for years on my flat daily 36 km commute and also done one 200km audax on it years back and I loved the large chain ring. I changed it to a 48 x 18 once.  As I don't use it anymore changed it back too 54 X 16 for on the rollers. I use my skip bike shopper for commute nowadays so the bike is pretty much redundent. Went out on it today for these pictures and it feels so small frame fit wise though I think that is because its a track bike ? and a little scary. Cant believe I used it for so many years. It takes a bit of getting use to. Im definetly out of practice using this machine.

If I was to use it again for road use I would change it for a 48 x 18. Though once you get use to it the large gear is fun and would change again maybe to 54 x 16. Thats the fun thing I miss changing gears on fixed.

I don't use it much nowadays for commutes for fear of losing it and it's looking tired. Its best to have a skip bike round here. Even with a decent Krytonite lock bikes go missing.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #634 on: 28 May, 2011, 11:50:55 pm »
@ Fixedwheelnut. The gear on now would kill me on track lol. It'll be running a 48 for track.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #635 on: 28 May, 2011, 11:54:13 pm »
Do conversions count?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #636 on: 28 May, 2011, 11:55:49 pm »
Lovely bike, but those forks are fugly. Needs steel!

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #637 on: 29 May, 2011, 12:02:35 am »
@ Rhys W. Sold the track forks a long time ago as I couldn't get a brake caliper on. Yeah I agree, 'needs Columbus chrome forks reinstalling.

@ Linx. Do conversions count?
Sorry don't understand ?

« Reply #638 on: 29 May, 2011, 01:17:24 am »
chain's a bit slack isn't it? ;)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #639 on: 29 May, 2011, 01:46:44 am »

@ Linx. Do conversions count?
Sorry don't understand ?

Not at you, mine is a conversion of a road frame with long dropouts not a proper track frame.

Was more of a general question anyway

« Reply #640 on: 31 May, 2011, 07:50:01 pm »
Bob Jackson after a change of saddle:

It's not a full black but it's not as brown as it looks in the photos.

Fabulous to ride on - I'll do a review once I've got a few hundred miles into it.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #641 on: 31 May, 2011, 11:39:13 pm »
Want ^^^^^^^^^^

Love the Bob J. How old is the frame and what saddle is it ?  :)

« Reply #642 on: 31 May, 2011, 11:45:18 pm »
John, I know you're Reg Harris - does anyone else?!

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #643 on: 31 May, 2011, 11:47:18 pm »
Ha ha ha. Only if your oop north. Thats more north than the Watford Gap.

« Reply #644 on: 31 May, 2011, 11:53:52 pm »
Want ^^^^^^^^^^

Love the Bob J. How old is the frame and what saddle is it ?  :)

It's a recent frame, only a year and half old. The saddle is a Gilles Berthoud Aravis - forgot to mention that  :facepalm:

Nice Harry Hall frame and some good components.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #645 on: 01 June, 2011, 07:19:01 am »

It's a recent frame, only a year and half old. The saddle is a Gilles Berthoud Aravis - forgot to mention that  :facepalm:

Really pretty bike and will be interested in hearing about the Gilles Berthoud once you've got some miles on it.

Really lovely.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #646 on: 02 June, 2011, 03:16:17 pm »
Latest project:

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #647 on: 13 June, 2011, 09:19:09 pm »
Not exotic or interesting but as I'll be doing my 10,000th mile on it this week I'm sticking a picture up here.
New levers and tape went on today, while doing it I really did think I'd made a bad choice for the colour but I think it looks ok actually.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #648 on: 14 June, 2011, 09:34:09 am »
Nothing wrong with that colour.  Pic's a bit small but looks like a trim bike.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #649 on: 14 June, 2011, 10:50:48 pm »
Yeah, good looking bike. I like coloured h/bar tape, adds to the bike.