Author Topic: 200 women riding 200km  (Read 12965 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
200 women riding 200km
« on: 15 May, 2021, 07:33:36 pm »
The ACP is organising a 200 BRM on Saturday 26 June 2021, aiming for 200 women riding it. https://www.audax-club-parisien.com/en/2021/04/19/200-women-on-200-km/ and https://www.audax-club-parisien.com/organisation/200-nanas-200-km/

Given that international travel may be problematic this year, AUK ladies could choose to ride a local 200 on the same day. AUK’s only calendar 200 that Saturday is the Hartside 200 but some small group perms might be a suitable substitute.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: 200 women riding 200km
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2021, 11:15:50 am »
If there are any UK women who'd like to join me on an inclusively paced group perm 200km on this date please get in touch.

« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2021, 11:48:44 am »
Oooh I could be interested in joining you on this.
California Dreaming

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2021, 11:54:44 am »
Me too.
We can have a special "slowed down due to menopause sub-section" even (and as it's a DIY a lower min speed)
I can offer an east anglia route based from Ipswich :-)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2021, 12:04:28 pm »
Sounds like an excellent idea.  If you want AUK insurance cover, but a lower than BR min speed, you could run it as BP (assuming no-one is points-chasing).

« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2021, 02:41:44 pm »
East Anglia or further north works for me. I'm going to see if there are other non forumites interested too.
California Dreaming

« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2021, 05:16:53 pm »
Thanks, I will share it round the VC167 ladies - though as the Hartside is one of ours they may be on that.

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2021, 08:53:27 am »
Me too.
We can have a special "slowed down due to menopause sub-section" even (and as it's a DIY a lower min speed)

If I'm about and depending on route I may be able to help with a control

« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2021, 09:12:21 am »
Might be interested, depending on whether:
(1) I'm actually allowed outside Glasgow by then
(2) I actually manage to ride a bike at some point before then
(3) It's somewhere reasonably accessible by train.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2021, 09:36:27 am »
Sounds like a challenge for me but do-able at a suitable speed. Could be interested in something in East Anglia depending on how I feel about train travel in a month's time. If that still feels like too much of a problem I will think about a diy from home.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2021, 02:05:04 pm »
I am unlikely to be fit enough by then unless the chest x-ray that's been requested shows what's causing my current breathing problems and there's an easy solution. Also, it's likely to be too far south for me as I'm not going to be comfortable travelling by train any time soon. Best of luck with it, though. It does make me wonder if it has legs as a concept for getting more women interested in longer distances. 50 riding 50, 100 riding 100 etc.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #11 on: 30 May, 2021, 09:56:38 pm »
Me too.
East Anglia would work for me too :-)
However I have just realised it's the FnRttC Whitstable edition on the (obviously) Friday night before. Perhaps I should try (gulp) to round it up to a 200k.

Audax Monster

• Are you local???
« Reply #12 on: 01 June, 2021, 06:42:26 pm »
Only just seen this...  if anything is being organised  in East  Anglia I would be interested.  Or if you need a controller I could do that too.

« Reply #13 on: 01 June, 2021, 07:14:47 pm »
All you East Anglians.

I live in County Durham!

ravenbait

• Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #14 on: 01 June, 2021, 07:30:47 pm »
All you East Anglians.

I live in County Durham!

Only 270 miles south of me!

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: 01 June, 2021, 08:14:00 pm »

I was going to say I'll do a DIY in .NL at the same time (and maybe see if anyone else is interested in joining it). Only for my phone to go ding and an email telling me that apparently I'm organising a 600 that weekend. I guess calendar events have restarted in .nl...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #16 on: 21 June, 2021, 12:30:00 pm »
Sorry for the silence on this, I've been under the care of one of those physios who looks disappointed and frowny when you say "Is it OK if I ride a 300 this weekend?".
I've been given a tentative (and somewhat disappointed and frowny, if I'm honest) OK to go ahead.

I'll be doing a circuit of York (deliberately misunderstanding 'Park and Ride') and passing a couple of Abbeys. There will be cake. Pace will be sedate.

Route is here: Fountains and Byland

If you're a woman and would like to join me, please email : women.only.audax@gmail.com

I'll sort out admin. Entry is free- you'll have to contribute to my breakfast/lunch/dinner instead...

« Reply #17 on: 27 June, 2021, 10:58:52 am »
Two of us, myself and FBOAB both rode 200 nanas specific 200km DIY brevets to sync with the ACP one in Paris. One in the north and the other in the soft south.  I was able to see our French counterparts via Instagram.  A grand day out was had by all. It was made more special as one of my big UAF buddies Alexandrine was riding the French edition.

I think this was a splendid idea. The Parisian edition had ladies completing their first brevet. Men weren’t totally excluded but the riders were mainly women.

Thumbs up to FBOAB as her knee held up.

« Reply #18 on: 27 June, 2021, 11:17:15 am »
I'm hoping we'll hear from Arabella, too?

I had a fine day out, next year we'll look at doing a calender event in a similar vein.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #19 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:41:49 pm »
I did, complete with a good quota of punctures too.  And lots of vitamin D.
My Wingham Wheelers (nearly where I spend the 2nd half of my childhoon) top "whilst we still can" made its first outing.
An added bonus was that in Suffolk (& Norfolk too) it was "overtake sensibly" day, the worst I got were only slightly dodgy, nothing to swear about all day and lots of folks hanging back until a sensible pass was possible.
Plus 2 picnics in the sunshine.
I saw some randome bird (not yet identified) seemingly ground nesting on some stony-ish heap in the middle of a potato field.

Top tip - the European shop on Upper Olland St in Bungay has a fine selection of cakes.  (Though I brought my own (ie my son's) best choc brownie with me)
(Buttercross otoh shuts at 2 on a Saturday)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #20 on: 30 June, 2021, 10:24:44 am »
Facebook's auto-translation of the French event: ' ′′ 200 chicks ′′ for a 100 % female BRM'.

« Reply #21 on: 30 June, 2021, 10:53:49 am »
The organisers have called their event "200 nanas" which is already a slang term, so "chicks" isn't a completely weird choice of translation.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 12 August, 2021, 05:58:29 pm »
200 (or some other number) of women riding an unknown number of km on gravel (and mud and so on):
https://bikepacking.com/plog/sisters-in-the-wild-uk-2021/
Following the first UK edition of Sisters in the Wild (SITW), a women’s bikepacking community event that was founded by our friend Neza Peterca (@t.w.w.c) in Slovenia in 2020, we asked three participants, including organizer Charlotte Inman, to share a little about their experiences and what the event meant to them. Read a trio of vignettes from what sounds like an incredibly successful first Sisters in the Wild UK below.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #23 on: 27 August, 2021, 04:41:06 pm »
The 200 magazine, a thoroughly excellent and very alternative french cycle mag, has done an after-ride article on the ACP 200 filles pour 200km (subtitled "Une journée sans mecs", for those who understand the french!). I haven't read the article yet, only bought the mag yesterday evening but if anyone would like to see it I am willing  to try to scan it (the magazine format is not an easy A4 fit) and PM it.
PM me if interested (and expect a big plug for the 200 which is about the most "normal person" orientated cycle mag that I know)

PS Reading the french when you have the time and it is well-written is not difficult, even with the most rudimentary language skills!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 02 September, 2021, 08:00:41 pm »
The 200 magazine, a thoroughly excellent and very alternative french cycle mag, has done an after-ride article on the ACP 200 filles pour 200km (subtitled "Une journée sans mecs", for those who understand the french!). I haven't read the article yet, only bought the mag yesterday evening but if anyone would like to see it I am willing  to try to scan it (the magazine format is not an easy A4 fit) and PM it.
PM me if interested (and expect a big plug for the 200 which is about the most "normal person" orientated cycle mag that I know)

PS Reading the french when you have the time and it is well-written is not difficult, even with the most rudimentary language skills!
Any hope of getting a hard copy, mzjo?
Think my (Super) pa would love one.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles