Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 285734 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I fail to comprehend this obsession with shorts - is it a macho thing? I blame the Postmen.

I'd get into all sorts of trouble if I wore a dress, regardless of the modesty of the hemline.
Shorts? Pah! Shorts are for sissies. I'm in a mankini till January. Well, it shortens the queue in the post office.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

First time this year of having to scrape the windscreen, ambient around 2C.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

Great excitement here! A bit of rain, some wind, but no thunder or lightning, followed by a sudden POP! the lights go off and immediately come back on again, followed by a cacochorus of burglar alarms. Probably not as many as in Silly Boke, but definitely more than one.

Cudzoziemiec

And it just happened again. In fact lights are on in all the houses but some, not all, of the street lights are out. I guess one phase has blown?  ??? Don't know really.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
WE have had a little rain. It seems that there is quite a bit forecast for this evening.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Big splatty drops on the Fast-Appreciating Future Classic's windscreen on the N. Circ approaching Walthamstow but tailed off to manky drizzle by the time I got home.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Why does it feel colder indoors when it rains? I'm normally perfectly happy with the indoor temperature at 18°C, but now it's started raining, it isn't warm enough. I've noticed this before.

PS Our roof doesn't leak.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
How much does your humidity increase when it rains? Assuming it's 18C whether it's dry or rainy,  that makes a massive difference to how warm it feels.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

Alarms stopped. Maybe someone got home.

Cudzoziemiec

Why does it feel colder indoors when it rains? I'm normally perfectly happy with the indoor temperature at 18°C, but now it's started raining, it isn't warm enough. I've noticed this before.

PS Our roof doesn't leak.
In addition to humidity, there's wind. And, in daylight, lack of it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
The inside humidity has remained pretty constant (source: Davis weather station).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
And the wind speed overall doesn't seem to have changed. It doesn't feel at all windy inside...

The local reservoir was visited on yesterday's ride. I have never seen it so low. We really do need significant rainfall this winter. The local sailing club was using an old buried road as the slipway due to the water level having receded so far.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
23°C just now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Still shorts & T-shaped shirt weather for cycling to Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles today.  B'ain't be natural, so it don’t!

Last time I wore trousers that were approximately as long as my legs was back at the beginning of the pandemic.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Last time I wore trousers that were approximately as long as my legs was back at the beginning of the pandemic.

My my.  Haven't you grown?  ;)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Quite a storm this early am and lots of the much needed wet stuff.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Tipping down in E17 since bedtime, albeit that thanks to a Mr I Rankin of Scotlandland, that was around 3 am.

Beardy

• Shedist
I do like rainfall, especially heavy rainfall. Even more so when I’m safely undercover and I can hear the tattoo of the rain on the roof.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Quite a storm this early am and lots of the much needed wet stuff.

Same here.

Apparently, neither my coat nor my over trousers are particularly waterproof.  :facepalm:

Picked up three copies of the Metro when I got to the station, two of which will be used to stuff my shoes and hopefully dry them out a bit by the time I set off home this evening.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Really feeling quite warm here today, with reasonably heavy rain (though no doubt not enough to get Thames Water to lift their hosepipe ban) and the odd flash of lightning, but that was mainly to the East and North of us.

Fair amount of rain here in Slough today. Some quite heavy  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Every day this month the temperature has reached 16°C.  The highest temperature my device has recorded is 22.5°C, on 29th. I feel confident that this is unprecedented for a UK October.

Every day this month the temperature has reached 16°C.  The highest temperature my device has recorded is 22.5°C, on 29th. I feel confident that this is unprecedented for a UK October.

Not according to Google - 29.9C in Gravesend in 2011.  The average might well be the highest though.