Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 285754 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
I would not have said it was particularly cold here, but the office was 13°C this morning. By lunchtime this had risen to a balmy 14.5°C. It transpires that my darling employer had only switched the heating on at 11.00...

Unless that's you wife, aren't they aware of the laws governing the temperature of workplaces, and the requirement to find an alternative location if they cannot meet them? IIRC it's 16C within 2 hours of official start. Of course doesn't apply to shop foors etc.

Something of a myth I'm afraid. There is no law stating minimum or maximum temperatures.  There is HSE guidance however - 16ºC or 13ºC if employees are doing physical work.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I would not have said it was particularly cold here, but the office was 13°C this morning. By lunchtime this had risen to a balmy 14.5°C. It transpires that my darling employer had only switched the heating on at 11.00...

Unless that's you wife, aren't they aware of the laws governing the temperature of workplaces, and the requirement to find an alternative location if they cannot meet them? IIRC it's 16C within 2 hours of official start. Of course doesn't apply to shop foors etc.

Something of a myth I'm afraid. There is no law stating minimum or maximum temperatures.  There is HSE guidance however - 16ºC or 13ºC if employees are doing physical work.

That's what I was told when I was working in Glasgow, 50-odd years ago.  Great strides have obviously been made since. TBF I think it's the same here but I've never checked it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Must have been Union power at work in Weirs then, some 45 years ago.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
There was, like, actual ice on the pavements at midday today. Ice! In England! In January! What's going on, is it the 1980s or something?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I saw some ice earlier.  I think someone had been exercising the elephant washing their car.

Cudzoziemiec

If it had been an elephant, there would have been a Tilley hat, quietly steaming. https://packpaddle.com/tilley-hat-eaten-elephant-3-times/

Frozen puddles on my way home at 15:00 today - they've not thawed out since last night.

ian

Seems cold enough for the hill to get slippy, so I did my one-man gritting operation, a task for which any gratitude will arrive in the afterlife. I'm not trying to curry favour with the appropriate deities as I need to get into Hell as I have property investments there and AirBnB for demons comes with regular and significant cleaning bills.

The downside of gritting is that I forgot I shaved the end of my index finger off in one of those incidents with a mandolin and not the musical kind which would have certainly been kinder. Anyway, road salt meet exposed finger innards. O mama!

Other things have met the insides of my finger recently

The onion I was slicing
The isopropyl alcohol I was using to remove the previous finger blood from keyboard and iPad screen
The salted nuts at the theatre last night
The alcohol stuff I cleaned my hands with before the nuts

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I would recommend application of a Compeed or other hydrocolloid plaster to your wound. Keeps the ouchy stuff out but allows it to heal nicely. (I used one to hold the flap of skin on the end of my finger that I nearly sliced off when sharpening the grass hook last year. Couldn't tell you which finger it was now)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

I could only find a big ungainly plaster, which is now in place to prevent me leaving bloody finger prints everwhere because touching things provokes the blood tide. It looks like I gave people the finger so often that I wore it out. My Macbook keyboard was pure murder scene. I'm staying away from the cats in case they get a taste of human blood as I don't fancy having to carry a chair to fend them off for the rest of my life.

I collect scars though, I have so many now that chicks don't so much as dig as hire earth excavation equipment. They dig them so much they could have finished HS2. As a plus point, I've now so many scars I'm inoculated against sharks.

Wall to wall kerb to kerb hoar frost this morning. Such a releif from rain, and the clear skies mean a bit of daylight on my homeward commute.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
The temperature dipped below freezing here this morning: -0.4°C. The good bit is that sunrise is now before 8am 7.59.51.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

5C in York, maxing out at 7C.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
It was -2° this morning when I went to the gym and the car needed serious defrosting.  It's currently hovering around 0°.  Jack will need his coat on for his walk.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

T42

• Apprentice geezer
We might hit 0°C towards noon today if we're lucky.  Right now the thermometer on our north wall reads -3°, which really means -5°.  The 14-day projection doesn't get above 3°.  Quacks don't want me to ride in less than 5°.  Bah.

Cudzoziemiec

5C in York, maxing out at 7C.
It's warm up North.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Clouded over here and the temperature has risen to a dizzy 1.9C. Think I'll break out the shorts.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Cycled to work in the cold, it was minus 7.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Down to 4C in York. Arctic.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Cycled to work in the cold, it was minus 7.

Aren't you over Munich way?

-7°C here too this morning. Not as bad as the mid-80's, when we had -28° in Stuttgart.  Going out in the morning I could feel my jeans getting stiff just walking to the car - which started!

A balmy 4°C here today.

3C,  sunny and no wind this morning. Ideal for a bike ride.
But I've got a sore back Grrr

Blister plasters are the best thing for those finger injuries, Ian.

I don’t know what you lot are complaining about. I am suffering 28degC and 80% humidity. It is really difficult.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
SNOmageddon next week.  Break out the studded tyres!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.