Author Topic: World Track Championships  (Read 3666 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
World Track Championships
« on: 04 April, 2012, 02:53:50 pm »
Just watched the Men's Team Pursuit final... Awesome.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/17608253

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LindaG

Re: World Track Championships
« Reply #1 on: 04 April, 2012, 03:00:42 pm »
Yes.  It was.  The highlight of the day so far in this house.

« Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2012, 01:16:35 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2012, 01:21:01 pm »
There seem to have been a lot of relegations. Had VP not crashed in the first heat she also would have been relegated for straying outside the red line.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2012, 01:50:15 pm »
They'll only relegate a rider if it was clear that the offence could have affected the final result, no need if you cross the line and then fall off, allowing your opponent to win - but that was one of the most obvious (potential) offences in the last couple of days. The blazers have certainly been working hard.

Queen Vic has just said in an interview that this is her last World Championship, so she's retiring after the Olympics.

« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2012, 02:21:19 pm »
Great win by Laura Trott in the Elimination race in the Omnium!

« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2012, 03:31:21 pm »
Great win by Laura Trott in the Elimination race in the Omnium!

Another successful Welwyn Wheeler.

« Reply #7 on: 06 April, 2012, 07:42:56 pm »
How to break an Aussie's heart:

Working my way up to inferior.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 06 April, 2012, 07:46:20 pm »
...and win mine :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 06 April, 2012, 10:39:29 pm »
Blimey, Vic rode her luck a bit today. I thought the judges were very harsh on Krupeckaite.

d.

World Track Championships
« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2012, 08:20:19 pm »
Jason Kennys tactic of going full bore from the off against Bauge was exciting, he'd have won the heat too if he'd stayed in lane. Great to watch.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2012, 10:27:56 pm »
The blazers' decisions seemed a bit odd today. Chris Hoy's diversion above the red line seemed clear-cut, and it seemed to deny his opponent a clear run at the line at the very least. Even Sir Chris himself appeared to know this as he crossed the line - not celebrating and nodding his head as if to say "yes I know I was wrong there". David Harmon could only suggest the Aussie had made an equally-punishable move earlier on. Bit harsh on Jason Kenny I thought, Bauge looked like he dropped below the red line just before Kenny drifted up - I thought Bauge stalled because he dropped into Kenny's line first.

And isn't Laura Trott just awesome? She's only 19!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12 on: 07 April, 2012, 10:50:50 pm »
Kenny had two flicks up, the latter of which had a significant impact on the race. However, Bauge had dropped in on Kenny at least twice..

Bauge was absolutely on the floor after that, could barely get on the bike to warm down. Epic ride.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #13 on: 08 April, 2012, 12:53:20 am »
Kudos to Kenny for going from the gun - I've been telling a few non-cyclist people who sometimes ask me "why do they start off so slow if it's a sprint?" that sometimes they do just that. Both Kenny and Bauge seemed to happy to accept the decision - great sportsmanship from both riders.

I tend to agree with Tony Gibb's comments on Eurosport - you'll always get a bit of argy-bargy with two powerful riders in the heat of competition and the blazers should only step in when there's been a major infringement that clearly affects the result.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #14 on: 08 April, 2012, 10:54:04 am »
Tony Gibb said this morning that the yellow card symbol adjacent to some riders' names in the graphics denotes a warning for an earlier infringement (in an earlier round or heat of the same event). They've been mentioning it over the last few days but haven't sounded sure what it means until now. This may explain why some relegations appear harsh compared to more obvious ones.

« Reply #15 on: 08 April, 2012, 10:59:23 am »
Blistering world record 500m time trial from Anna Meares!

« Reply #16 on: 08 April, 2012, 11:17:26 am »
Meares 33.010

Varnish 33.999

« Reply #17 on: 08 April, 2012, 11:35:55 am »
Anna Meares has been very impressive over the last few days - frankly, I think she deserved to the win over Vicky Pendleton too. Definitely the outstanding athlete of the whole meet for me.

Joanna Rowsell, Dani King and Laura Trott are great too; I love the way that they are still so excited by it all, and so emotional when they win - turning into a group of giggling bouncing teenagers  :thumbsup: (compared to the more mute celebrations of the more experienced athletes).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 08 April, 2012, 11:50:17 am »
Just listening to Hoy winning.  :)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #19 on: 08 April, 2012, 02:08:48 pm »
Blimey, how did he get through that gap!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/17649339
Garry Broad

citoyen

« Reply #20 on: 08 April, 2012, 04:55:10 pm »
Amazing ride by Hoy. And Laura Trott was brilliant too.

Geraint Thomas and Ben Swift did very well in the madison too.

d.

« Reply #21 on: 08 April, 2012, 06:49:50 pm »
Excellent riding all round.  As has been said, the men in blazers have been extremely strict this year.

The sooner Phil Ligget forgets his latest commentator's saying of "an outsider smoker" the better as far as I am concerned.  Yes I know what he means but how do I explain the possible origins (what are they?) to people at work who have trouble with obvious descriptions such as "the long way round".  Bad enough being in second wheel instead of second place, but even that is marginally better than being in P2 as he might have said a couple of years ago.

« Reply #22 on: 08 April, 2012, 06:59:30 pm »
I agree.  Though I think it's Hugh Porter, is it not?

I was thinking only yesterday how irritating I find Phil Sherwen's insistance on "the valley ROAD" in the TdeF.  The valley would do, or the road but he emphasises the last syllable in a way that suggests he's imparting some arcane mystery known only to the hard man of the Tour.  Where the hell else would they go?

« Reply #23 on: 08 April, 2012, 07:02:19 pm »
I agree.  Though I think it's Hugh Porter, is it not?
Yep, had my brain in backwards and Phil was the first name to pop out.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #24 on: 08 April, 2012, 07:13:29 pm »
Speaking of awesome...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/17636634

Just watched VP racing Meares. God, it's heart stopping stuff.

Blimey, how did he get through that gap!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/17649339

Just watched Hoy in the Keirin. God, it's heart stopping stuff.