Author Topic: EV 2  (Read 248 times)

EV 2
« on: Yesterday at 06:55:28 pm »
Hi Ive done a komoot route from a boozer near Stanstead where Im staying to Harwich docks to make tracks for a ferry for an event in NDL.
On the cycle touring mode it still has me routed down 60 mph roads, many on the EV2.
Im well out of cycling practice in UK and traffic and want as mellow a ride as I can if possible.
Anyone familiar with the route? Is it cool, or should I dive in and fiddle with the route that's been offered.
thanks Jonah.
often lost.

Re: EV 2
« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:44:13 am »
When you say 60mph road, do you a mean a main road or a small rural road with a 60mph limit. If it’s a main road, is it routing along the road or on a cycle path that runs alongside it? It’s unusual for a cycle touring app to use a main road unless there is no alternative.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:33:06 pm »
If you look at the surface and way types for the route (or just the satellite map) that will generally show whether its a cycle path beside a nasty main road, or mixing it with the trucks heading for the boat.

I've no idea whether a better route exists, but dragging the line to a side might help.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:39:54 pm »
Got a link to your route? Otherwise you’re just going to get general comments as above without context of where you mean.

« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:41:56 pm »
Ok, I just looked. That looks moderately unpleasant for a few stretches. The quieter roads all look like they go a different direction to you. So I guess you've got a trade off between quiet roads and much longer. Personally, I'd be dragging the line off to the side, but have no local knowledge.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:09:23 pm »
If you are in Stansted, I'm not sure why you are looking to travel so far south to pick up the EV2 route.

I would do something like the following. There's plenty of quiet lanes to use as far as Manningtree. The road along to Harwich from there is not brilliant, but it's not too bad either.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/46241815

Or are you in the Stanstead near Sudbury?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: Today at 02:49:30 pm »
If you are in Stansted, I'm not sure why you are looking to travel so far south to pick up the EV2 route.

I would do something like the following. There's plenty of quiet lanes to use as far as Manningtree. The road along to Harwich from there is not brilliant, but it's not too bad either.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/46241815

Or are you in the Stanstead near Sudbury?

Assuming it is Stanstead Mountfitchet (the Stanstead near the airport) I would endorse the suggested ridewithgps route as being pleasant and safe.  (I used to live at Ugley* and know the whole area pretty well)

* My daughters weren't the Ugley Sisters, although the lady we bought the house from was a member of the Ugley Women's Institute.   

(AND it is as in UGLY and not YEWGLY as some people suggest it's pronounced)

« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:34:36 pm »
Thanks that's very helpful.
I'll transpose the RWGPS route over to a komoot route, which is what I navigate (badly) with.
My appetite for heavy traffic and speed is no where near what it once was.
The komoot route given on cycle touring was this:-
https://www.komoot.com/tour/1517024915
Zooming in on the komoot maps doesn't give a clear picture. I guess I could have. I guess using google helps to clarify but there is no substituting for local knowledge. 
often lost.

« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:22:46 pm »
I'm in Bishop's Stortford, hence a bit of local knowledge, especially on routing to/from Harwich for the ferry.

Your original Komoot route would have been quite unpleasant in parts. The Braintree to Colchester road in particular is a fast A road, quite narrow, and quite busy during the day.

On the RWGPS route, I stopped the route just short of the terminal. Where the route stops there's a footpath on the right you can go onto, so effectively you go in a straight line rather than going round the left bend. You can then cut through to the ferry entrance on the right across the car park. EDIT: I've just updated the route to show what I mean.

Enjoy your ride in the Netherlands.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43