Author Topic: High wattage cfl's?  (Read 1908 times)

High wattage cfl's?
« on: 10 November, 2012, 04:54:00 pm »
We currentky have mainly 23W Phillips cfl bulb in our house, said to be equivalent to 103W incandescent. |For one particular location it would be useful to have a higher wattage - say a 150W equivalent. Are these readily available?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: High wattage cfl's?
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2012, 04:56:15 pm »
They exist: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GreenLamp-equivalent-Daylight-Energy-Bayonet/dp/B004G6UCWU

At that sort of power rating (30W) it may be worth seeing if you can get an LED alternative
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2012, 05:20:23 pm »
Thanks, for some reason I never thought to check Amazon!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2012, 08:00:39 pm »
LEDs are stunningly expensive above 9W.  Having said that, a 9W Philips LED in a downlighter or pendant fitting will substitute for a 60W incandescent in most locations, because it is (despite the diffuser) somewhat directional and little light goes up to the ceiling or shade.

Generally, the Philips LED "incandescent equivalent" power ratings are conservative, whereas the CFL ones are optimistic.  Their 4W candles are more like a 40W incandescent than the 25W claimed, and do a bit better than a Megaman* 7W CFL candle.

*expensive and rubbish - they take 3 minutes or so to reach full brightness and there is barely any light at all to start with.  The best CFLs we have are the big GE 20W spirals, which are, in the real world, equivalent to about a 60W incandescent - if they will fit.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2012, 08:45:33 pm »
LEDs are stunningly expensive above 9W.

Prices start at £3 for 10W LED corn bulbs on eBay, and the £8 12W ones I got are pretty good (though not really a substitue for a 100W incandescent, let alone 150W, so not suitable for the OP).  I'm expecting them to last a good number of years as long as the LEDs aren't being driven too hard.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 10 November, 2012, 08:55:23 pm »
Here you can get a 5050-98 SMD 20W LED bulb that is claimed to be equivalent to 150W halogen, for £13.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2012, 07:44:30 am »
The SMD lamps are rather different and (from the one I bought to replace a small halogen capsule) not really good enough.  They do work well for outdoor security lights, where being directional means you can just have a flat grid of them and they give an ideal beam.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2012, 09:37:27 am »
Maplins have 35 and 46W Ever Ready CFL spirals for about £8/£10

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 11 November, 2012, 10:02:22 am »
The SMD lamps are rather different and (from the one I bought to replace a small halogen capsule) not really good enough.  They do work well for outdoor security lights, where being directional means you can just have a flat grid of them and they give an ideal beam.

Lamps with SMD LEDs are not directional when using a corn cob arrangement.  The one I've got on in the room right now is giving a good even spread of light, without a shade.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #9 on: 11 November, 2012, 11:07:04 am »
You can get CFLs in 100w or more...  I've got a 60w floodlamp, its somewhat bright...  Megaman clusterlight.  BLTdiirect do a wide range, I think I've got a 35w one somewhere in the house.  Kitchen has SMD LED "fluorescent" strip, scary-bright!
Wombat

« Reply #10 on: 11 November, 2012, 11:29:47 am »