Author Topic: Swansea-London DIY: via Chepstow or Gloucester??????  (Read 4249 times)

Swansea-London DIY: via Chepstow or Gloucester??????
« on: 09 August, 2010, 12:31:04 am »
I'm planning to ride back to London from a camping trip in the Gower (Family and gear will go back by car). I don't know whether to take the direct route from Swansea to Chepstow or go to Glousester via Abergavenny.

Will the route to Chepstow be fiddly to navigate and what's the terrain like and how's the main road between Swansea and Abergavenny? It'll be on Sunday 22nd starting at around 6am so I guess traffic won't be much of an issue.

I'm happy to have a hilly start to the day as the ride will get progressively flatter as I go on. Whatever is the nicest ride really.

Obviously company would be welcome for (all(!!) or) part of the ride.

Thanks

Re: Swansea-London DIY: via Chepstow or Gloucester??????
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2010, 08:59:36 am »
Kevin,

I think you can discount the Swansea/Abergavenny option.  That would mainly be the A465 - 'Heads of the Valleys'.  The eastern parts beyond Hirwaun would have some nasty, fast traffic on it, and I don't think there are parallel, quiet roads.

I think your broad choices are:

1.  Swansea to Neath Valley to Hirwaun (there are pleasant, quiet roads parallel to the A465 here).  Then down the valleys - Aberdare, Mountain Ash, Nelson, Rogerstone.  Most of that is the the start of the Marches and Mersey roads 600 and it's quite fast, with a hardly noticeable climb of the Neath valley, a slightly stiffer climb to Hirwaun, then a long, long gradual descent pretty much all the way to Newport.  The 'Audax' route to Chepstow then would be south of Newport past (or over) the recently re-opened  Transporter Bridge and up to the Coldra M4 roundabout, then over to the A48 and on the Chepstow.  Alternatively get onto the Gwent levels after Newport the Transporter Bridgeand head for Magor/Undy before getting onto the A48.

2.  Neath, Cimla, Treorchy, Pontyprydd, Caerphilly, Basseleg, Newport.  Slightly more direct but with some substantial cimbs, notably the Bwlch.

3. Swansea to Briton Ferry (via cycle path by the A483).  Baglan, Port Talbot then A48 through the Vale of Glamorgan.  Not sure how you'd negotiate Cardiff, though.  The traditional Audax route from Cardiff is via Rhiwbina, Llanishen, Lisvane, Old St Mellons and onto the A48.  This would be a primarily flat option.

I'd be happy to join you for a while, and can give you a few more details of routes, at least at the western end, when you have a better idea of your preferred one.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2010, 10:11:28 am »
I think that which ever way you come back from Swansea you're going to end up in Abergavenny (me, I'd do Swansea-Pontardawe-Llanwrda-Llandovery and then start on the A40, take to the lanes near Sennybridge and go through Brecon, Talybont-on-usk and Crickhowell; one big climb, between Pontardawe and Llanwrda)

The choice then is Abergavenny-Gloucester-London or via Chepstow.  From Abergavenny, the obvious Chepstow route is through Usk or Raglan to Chepstow, over the old Severn Bridge, skirt Thornbury, then go to Malmesbury and pick up the Wiltshire Cycleway route to take you across to somewhere near Newbury.  After that it's possible to pick lanes to parallel the A4; plenty of audaxs do this.

Abergavenny-Gloucester I'd do by going to Monmouth (roller-coaster road) and then taking the cycle track to Symmonds Yat, Goodrich, Pontshill, Newent, Hartpury, Gloucester and then across the Cotswolds. Much lumpier than the Chepstow route.

I'm also happy to guide you on the Abergavenny-ish bits on the day

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3 on: 09 August, 2010, 10:22:21 am »
The 7Across route will get you from Symonds Yat back to Chalfont or indeed from Chepstow back to, er,  Chalfont.

Having missed the calendar I've been thinking of riding the 7Across route, possibly as a 2x200(ish) as I've relatives in Cheltenham. If I wasn't yomping across Dorset that weekend I'd have been up to join you.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2010, 10:26:24 am »
Kevin,

I think you can discount the Swansea/Abergavenny option.  That would mainly be the A465 - 'Heads of the Valleys'.  The eastern parts beyond Hirwaun would have some nasty, fast traffic on it, and I don't think there are parallel, quiet roads.

4. At Hirwaun head a short distance North on A4059.  At cross roads in Penderyn R signposted Cwm Cadlan. At T junction at Llwn-On reservoir R.  R@T onto A470. At traffic lights bear left onto A4054  At Cefn Coed y Cymmer L before bridge over A465.  Descend through Pontsticill to Tal Y Bont on Usk. R@T after canal bridge [Possible Control at Post Office/Cafe]. Follow B4558 to traffic lights by bridge. L across bridge and R onto A40 and into Crickhowell.  Not far to centre of Abergavenny.  Although the route is not a straight line it is mostly quiet and you get to look at the mountains a massive descent and very little climbing considering where you are.  The only busy section is the A40 into Abergavenny.

I only have a vague idea how I would get to Gloucester (which is horrible). There are nice roads on the way but eventually you have to cross the Severn.

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2010, 10:32:05 am »
Gloucester (which is horrible)

+1

I always fall into a slough of despond when trying to navigate Gloucester.  On Saturday we had Mr Blacksheep's (wobbly) wheel to follow, and it's the first time I've not got totally lost there.

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2010, 10:38:01 am »
I'd be taking the Chepstow route just to avoid the Gloucester issue. I commute there everyday, but the routes in from the south are great. It is the western approaches that are gash. Even the road in from Newent is a rat run. There are ways to circumnavigate Gloucester using towpaths and cyclepaths but as MV suggests they aren't entirely straightforward

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2010, 11:20:11 am »

Gloucester (which is horrible)

Agree.

Personally, if I was cycling from London to Swansea, I'd go via Chepstow rather than Gloucester.  The latter is not great for cycling through whereas the former is good.

The other alternative I'd consider is going via Monmouth-Forest of Dean-Tewkesbury way (based on various rides patched together, including Dean/Severn Across, Gospel Pass).  But I've only done that route at the weekend, so no idea what general traffic volumes are like.  

miniog

• aka IanS
« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2010, 12:15:44 pm »
I would go for Nuncio's Route 1 via Glynneath. I have a copy of the routesheet from Dave Lewis's 600 which will get you as far as Newport.

If you do particularly want to go via Brecon as per MV's advice, I would not detour over the Black Mountan but go straight up the Swansea Valley (A4067) to Sennybridge. There is a bit of a pull up to the Cray Reservoir, but good views and a fast descent. They do a good all-day breakfast in the Cafe at the Petrol Station in Sennybridge.

If you are arriving on Gower before this weekend (I am away on hols next week) and fancy a spin round Gower or Carmarthenshire, PM me. 

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2010, 12:53:02 pm »
I would go for Nuncio's Route 1 via Glynneath. I have a copy of the routesheet from Dave Lewis's 600 which will get you as far as Newport.

Yes, that was a very benign way of doing it. Maybe not as pretty as the Brecon way, but easier for sure.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #10 on: 09 August, 2010, 02:15:19 pm »

If you do particularly want to go via Brecon as per MV's advice, I would not detour over the Black Mountan but go straight up the Swansea Valley (A4067) to Sennybridge. There is a bit of a pull up to the Cray Reservoir, but good views and a fast descent. They do a good all-day breakfast in the Cafe at the Petrol Station in Sennybridge.

The Black Mountain route is very square.  Going to Glynneath cuts the corner.   

I thnk the Cynon valley is unattractive.  It would be a real shame if kcass visits wales and decides the Gower's nice but the rest of South Wales is a dump.

I think everybody agrees not Gloucester.

Tewkesbury maybe too far North (not much more than Gloucester). 

The direct route along the A48 from Swansea to Cardiff is only a sensible option at 2am.

So apart from that leaves a North East followed by South East route to Chepstow.  I am sure the route I gave is the best way to Abergavenny. Before I reach Abergavenny I would not cross the Crickhowell bridge and reverse the route of the Transporter 200 to Usk. Again the Raglan route is a little squarer adding distance.   

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 09 August, 2010, 02:21:44 pm »
Again the Raglan route is a little squarer adding distance.   

I think it's pretty-much the same; if you go to Usk you swing a fair way further South than Raglan

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #12 on: 09 August, 2010, 02:32:01 pm »
I yield to local knowledge.

border-rider

« Reply #13 on: 09 August, 2010, 02:36:34 pm »
Aye, I've slogged it to Chepstow both ways, more often than I care to recount ;)

There's a very good pub on the Raglan Road, which you miss if you go to Usk.  If you're brave you go straight on (up) through Llanvihangel-Tor-y-Mynydd to Devauden; it's shorter than going to Gwernesney.

« Reply #14 on: 09 August, 2010, 08:32:17 pm »
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm going to go with Nuncio no.1. and then follow the Severn Across route as far as Henley where, depending on how I feel, I'll either head for the A4 or go via Chalfont and the fnrtts route into London. It would be nice to do the Brecon Beacons but I think it would add a couple of hours and I've got to work on the Monday.

The routesheet would be great. Thanks. I'll PM you with my email address.

If you are arriving on Gower before this weekend (I am away on hols next week) and fancy a spin round Gower or Carmarthenshire, PM me. 

I don't arrive till Saturday and am doing the Tregaron Dragon on Sunday. Have a nice holiday!

Simon, I'll PM my phone no. It would be great to hook up for part of the ride. I think I'll probably get to Swansea at around 7am. Unless I get lost.

« Reply #15 on: 09 August, 2010, 09:30:30 pm »
I'm amazed you're taking route advice from me.  The first time we met, thanks to me we managed to miss Aust village when walking from the Travelodge.

PM to follow.

« Reply #16 on: 09 August, 2010, 09:36:40 pm »
I think that which ever way you come back from Swansea you're going to end up in Abergavenny (me, I'd do Swansea-Pontardawe-Llanwrda-Llandovery and then start on the A40, take to the lanes near Sennybridge and go through Brecon, Talybont-on-usk and Crickhowell; one big climb, between Pontardawe and Llanwrda)

The choice then is Abergavenny-Gloucester-London or via Chepstow.  From Abergavenny, the obvious Chepstow route is through Usk or Raglan to Chepstow, over the old Severn Bridge, skirt Thornbury, then go to Malmesbury and pick up the Wiltshire Cycleway route to take you across to somewhere near Newbury.  After that it's possible to pick lanes to parallel the A4; plenty of audaxs do this.

Abergavenny-Gloucester I'd do by going to Monmouth (roller-coaster road) and then taking the cycle track to Symmonds Yat, Goodrich, Pontshill, Newent, Hartpury, Gloucester and then across the Cotswolds. Much lumpier than the Chepstow route.

I'm also happy to guide you on the Abergavenny-ish bits on the day

WHS.  I'll join you if I can if you choose the Chepstow option.

Cycling on the Heads of the Valleys road (A465) would be suicidal between Hirwaun and Abergavenny, and pretty ropey the whole way.

« Reply #17 on: 09 August, 2010, 09:56:59 pm »
I'm amazed you're taking route advice from me.  The first time we met, thanks to me we managed to miss Aust village when walking from the Travelodge.

In the land of the blind ... (+ it was seconded by Ian!)

I'll join you if I can if you choose the Chepstow option.

I have -  see upthread. I'll PM my phone no. as I'll be computerless all next week.

« Reply #18 on: 09 August, 2010, 11:50:05 pm »
Mind if I tag along from Swansea - could do with a bit of a spin as now in my summer "lull" and could do with getting a few miles back in?  ;D

« Reply #19 on: 10 August, 2010, 07:18:27 am »
The more the merrier! Have PMed my tel. no.

« Reply #20 on: 10 August, 2010, 08:39:30 am »
I thnk the Cynon valley is unattractive.  It would be a real shame if kcass visits wales and decides the Gower's nice but the rest of South Wales is a dump.

A bit unfair on the Cynon Valley - 'Differently attractive' maybe, or 'aethetically challenged'.  Don't worry, he's done the Bryan Chapman, the Brevet Cymru (I think) and quite a bit of the Mille.  He probably needs a reality check.