Author Topic: Borders of Belgium 1000 2016  (Read 61302 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Borders of Belgium 1000 2016
« Reply #50 on: 08 August, 2016, 09:32:30 am »
I wonder if there are riders doing the BOB without a GPS device.
In 2012 there were 2 riders without but in 2014 every rider had a GPS device.
If I use one, I will have less than a month experience with it!

My experience of audax - including the 1000k+ rides - is that gps usage is nowhere near 100%. And then there are the cases of technical failure (our group in 2013 included one whose GPS failed before he started, and had no routesheet or map).

So a routesheet is very very much appreciated :)

(I've only made them upto 600km, and I know how much work that was. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #51 on: 08 August, 2016, 01:38:28 pm »
I'm rather looking forward to this  ;D

(Still after a place on the deluxe ride if anyone is dropping out!)

« Reply #52 on: 08 August, 2016, 08:13:06 pm »
I'm more nervous about this than any ride for quite a long time.

Especially since I've returned from La Belle France even lardier than I went. *sigh*

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #53 on: 10 August, 2016, 04:57:29 pm »
Rohnny sent me a marvellous email in answer to my queries, and with lots more detail about facilities en-route and other things. He said I could publish it here, in return for tidying up his English! (I've hardly had to change a thing.) I've added control times in a couple of places.

"
- Are you still taking entries?

Yes, we still take entries, even at the start line, but only for the back to basic option.

- Control close times: do you use 13.3kph to decide all the control cutoffs?
(Some events have fast speeds in the first half of an event, like PBP).

I follow the ACP rules, so 13.3 kph rule will be used for the control cutoffs.

- Do you have any spaces for the "luxury" option?

Sorry, but at this moment, I have no more places left for the luxury option.
If you know another rider who will not participate, please let him/her contact me so we can arrange something. I will refund if another rider takes his/her place.

- For riders who just take the "back to basics" option, what facilities are at the 2 controls (560km and 840km )?
(Will it be possible to sleep on a hard floor there for a short time? Again, like PBP.)
- Will it be possible to buy any water/food during the night? (In the UK I know what petrol stations, shops etc are open and when).

Back to basic means just that: you have to be self supported. I will release the route soon so you can study the route and make preparations for yourself. The route will pass through towns where there are shops so you can buy stuff you need.

My advice is to buy food when and where you can. The route will pass via country lanes or canals so it will be not easy to find food and water when you need it, especially at night. So better buy what you need whenever you can. I didn't find any petrol station with 24h opening times along the route.

There will be drinks at the control for everyone, not just the luxury riders.

2 years ago I didn't provide any food for the back-to-basic riders at the controls. I'll see what I can do for the 2016 edition. Maybe fruits like banana, or energy bars are an option. I'll look into that and will announce it on the website and facebook.

Unfortunately, at the controls there is not enough space to sleep on the floor. Sorry for that. The controls are not in large buildings with real beds(!) so we're very limited in space. Try to make arrangements before the ride. If you want to ride without making previous arrangements, make sure you stop at a safe place.

Let me try to sketch the ride the way I see it.

Start on thursday at 14h.

Going counterclockwise you ride to the coast. That is an easy part. From Knokke to De Panne, if the wind comes from the usual SW, it will be a head wind. So it would be nice to ride in a group.

From De Panne (a control city) the route goes E or NE.

The route passes IEPER (Ypres) at the 200 km mark. My guess it will be after 20h, perhaps after 21h. Food and drinks are easily found in this town, so buffer up in Ieper. It will be dark when you leave Ieper. (the route will pass the Menin gate in Ypres where the Last Post ceremony is held every evening at 20h since 1928. If you are fast enough to make it to Ypres before 20h, I suggest you stop for 15 minutes. It is a very touching ceremony)

If you are a very fast rider and you want to sleep a few hours you can make a detour into Roubaix [231km - close 07:19]. There are some Formule 1 hotels.

The route at night isn't difficult, but there aren't any towns with night shops. That is why you need to get everything you need to make it through the night in Ieper.

Arriving in Cerfontaine at km 389 [close 18:50ish] there is a petrol station with a shop and a Carrefour shop close by. I guess the sun will be up at that time.

Going via Mariëmbourg and Heer (km 432) is easy. After Heer is will be more hilly as we enter the Ardennes. The route passes Paliseul (km 496) and Florenville (km 536), 2 towns with shops where you can go foraging or eat at a restaurant. Make the most of it, as other possibilities are limited, especially do so when it is hot.

After 564 km [close 08:14 Sun] you reach the manned control of Habay. My guess it will be between 19h-23h. If you ride in the back-to-basic style and you want to sleep near Habay, there is a truck stop center (truck-center.be) just south of the E25 in Habay, some 5 km from the control. 2 years ago some riders slept there. Just a hint.

The route is still hilly leaving Habay. Going to Bastogne is hard. In Bastogne is a ravel (an old rail road that is paved now, just for cyclists, no cars allowed) going to Gouvy (km 636), another foraging place. After Gouvy you continue to Sankt Vith, Manderfeld, Monschau, Roetgen and Wezet (Visé in French, km 780)[close 00:26 Sun] where there are shops.

From that point, the hills are over. The rest of the 220 km are flat, riding mostly along rivers and canals to Lommel (km 862), the second manned control.[close 06:30 Sun]

My guess it will be saturday evening, again around 19h-24h. If you ride in the back to basic style you can book a room in B&B's close to the route. Google is your friend :-)

(If you have any trouble booking a room, let me know, maybe I can help)

From Lommel the route continues via canals to Turnhout and Antwerpen (km 952). No problem finding something to eat and drink there.

From Antwerpen there are some 50K left, but there are no shops to buy stuff. So again make sure you got enough water, especially when it's hot.

And that's it. You arrive at the finish on sunday, my guess between 11h and 16h. The cutoff is 17h. 2 years ago the last rider had 90 minutes to spare, so it is doable.

If you want to ride at night and arrive during the night, no problem, I will be there.

This is the way I would ride. Buy food and drinks even if you have something left. It can be very hard to find something in the middle of the Ardennes. That is why those towns I mentioned are along the route.

Again, contact me if you know about someone who entered the luxury style and has no intentions to ride. We will make arrangements to switch names.

If you are looking for accommodations before and after the ride and you have trouble finding something, just let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.
"

Meanwhile, I've booked an AirBnb at Florenville on Friday night
(Habay seems a slight stretch too far, and the truckstop website says they close at midnight).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #54 on: 10 August, 2016, 07:16:15 pm »
The route is still hilly leaving Habay. Going to Bastogne is hard. In Bastogne is a ravel (an old rail road that is paved now, just for cyclists, no cars allowed) going to Gouvy (km 636), another foraging place. After Gouvy you continue to Sankt Vith, Manderfeld, Monschau, Roetgen and Wezet (Visé in French, km 780)[close 00:26 Sun] where there are shops.

From that point, the hills are over. The rest of the 220 km are flat, riding mostly along rivers and canals to Lommel (km 862), the second manned control.[close 06:30 Sun]

That's my neck of the woods.
Visé has a couple of 24 hour shops on the road leading up to the bridge, just before the railway station.
If you're in desperate need of a bikeshop at an ungodly hour, just 14k north, at Maastricht railway station, is a bikeshop just south of the station which has very long opening times (it doubles as a manned bikepark).
The relevant opening times are from 6.00am on saturday until 1.15am on sunday and 7.15am on sunday until 1.15am on monday night.
OK, you'll leave Belgium for a little bit but the town used to belong to the Liege prince-bishop so it's not that foreign ;).

« Reply #55 on: 10 August, 2016, 09:04:41 pm »
I'm more nervous about this than any ride for quite a long time.

Especially since I've returned from La Belle France even lardier than I went. *sigh*

Oh don't say that, you being the much stronger and experienced rider, you've worried me that I'm missing something...  ;D

(Like, apart from it being quite a long way, both laterally and vertically)

« Reply #56 on: 10 August, 2016, 09:06:10 pm »
l;did read

Cheers for that. I really do need to sit down and sort logistics for this ride.

Quite tempted, after spending a week transfixed by transcontinental trackers, to just go for the bivvy bag option...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #57 on: 12 August, 2016, 12:23:36 pm »
I have a bigger problem than being slower than fboab:

Is anyone driving over, with space for a little one, via Oxfordshire/London-ish?? Just one-way required. (I plan to die gracefully somewhere in the Ardennes)

My money that's not going to Eurostar should make a significant dent in your fuel budget for the trip.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #58 on: 12 August, 2016, 09:04:22 pm »
What a beautiful route! I've cycled parts of it. Really nice! I suppose I can enter the unsupported event, even at this late a date?

Yes! The Belgian rules state that any BRM up to 1000K is open for entry untill the start. Just the "extra's" (like accommodations, food or bagdrops) are optional and in most cases must be booked before the start.

In case of the BOB 2016 the full option is sold out. We accept bookings for bagdrops untill sunday 14/8.

Rohnny

Rhonny, I'm cycling from Rotterdam, so I'll be able to pay at the start? I'm riding part of the route this weekend. Looking forward to it.

« Reply #59 on: 13 August, 2016, 11:06:26 am »
What a beautiful route! I've cycled parts of it. Really nice! I suppose I can enter the unsupported event, even at this late a date?

Yes! The Belgian rules state that any BRM up to 1000K is open for entry untill the start. Just the "extra's" (like accommodations, food or bagdrops) are optional and in most cases must be booked before the start.

In case of the BOB 2016 the full option is sold out. We accept bookings for bagdrops untill sunday 14/8.

Rohnny

Rhonny, I'm cycling from Rotterdam, so I'll be able to pay at the start? I'm riding part of the route this weekend. Looking forward to it.

Everybody is welcome to enter the event at the day of the start. (It's a Belgian thing: BRM up to 1000K must be open for entry untill the start date).
If you think about showing up on the day of the start, please come early so all administration can be finished without time pressure. The ride starts at 14h, but I will be there at 12h.

Rohnny

« Reply #60 on: 13 August, 2016, 12:54:20 pm »

Rohnny

Everybody is welcome to enter the event at the day of the start. (It's a Belgian thing: BRM up to 1000K must be open for entry untill the start date).
If you think about showing up on the day of the start, please come early so all administration can be finished without time pressure. The ride starts at 14h, but I will be there at 12h.

Rohnny

planning to arrive at about 11 am. thank you!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #61 on: 13 August, 2016, 01:34:11 pm »
Rohnny:
I'm analysing a few sections of the routesheet (using Google streetview). So far your distances are spot-on, and the R, L, and arrows are perfect.

However, I'm looking at the "blue signs" sections in Flanders. Your sheet says
"==> xx = blue sign" and an example is

"R->    F             Spoorzate ==> 91         984.6km"

Now, that right turn has no blue sign. And I see no sign to node 91.

I checked some near the start, and I could never find a blue sign with a number. There are blue signs (with cycle picture), but they give town names, so that is no help when reading the routesheet.

Also, many instructions only list the street name; these are often not displayed at the junction.

I'm a bit worried that these sections will be confusing, as there are lots of small turns in a short distance, and many of these signs are in the last 150km when we will all be tired!

Matt
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #62 on: 14 August, 2016, 09:05:19 am »
Rohnny:
I'm analysing a few sections of the routesheet (using Google streetview). So far your distances are spot-on, and the R, L, and arrows are perfect.

However, I'm looking at the "blue signs" sections in Flanders. Your sheet says
"==> xx = blue sign" and an example is

"R->    F             Spoorzate ==> 91         984.6km"

Now, that right turn has no blue sign. And I see no sign to node 91.

I checked some near the start, and I could never find a blue sign with a number. There are blue signs (with cycle picture), but they give town names, so that is no help when reading the routesheet.

Also, many instructions only list the street name; these are often not displayed at the junction.

I'm a bit worried that these sections will be confusing, as there are lots of small turns in a short distance, and many of these signs are in the last 150km when we will all be tired!

Matt

So the route sheet is online. You don't have to print it, there will be a copy ready for you at the start.
I tried to make it as clear as possible so I worked (just like in 2014) with arrows and letters.
I also used a bigger lay-out so you don't have to stop to read the sheet.
As a result of that, there are 7 sheets of paper (= 14 pages).
Every turn, every streetname or streetnumber is mentionned as extra guidance. Also we have a thing called "fietsnetwerk" mostly indicated with a blue sign with a number. (In some parts of the country it came be a green or even a with sign with a number). It is a netwerk of nodes, connecting routes to each other so it is easy for people to go to the "fietsnetwerk" website and make a route by just print out the numbers and follow those signs.
The signs are usually put before the junction.
Just follow the distances and left, right or straight on arrows and you'll be fine!

And in case you really get lost, my phone number is at the bottom of every page.

Your example of km 984,6

3,5   ↑          Spoorzate ==> 91     984,6

meaning 3,5 km form the previous indication  -  go straight on - street called "Spoorzate" indicated with a sign with number 91 -  you're at km 984,6.

Just follow the distances and left, right or straight on arrows and you'll be fine!

And in case you really get lost, my phone number is at the bottom of every page.

« Reply #63 on: 23 August, 2016, 06:26:30 pm »
Right, if you are in Ieper by 20.00h  :thumbsup:

Is Rohnny on holiday? Had no reply to where I have to go for his kip before the ride option which I booked.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #64 on: 24 August, 2016, 10:59:12 am »

I'm sure we will be fine - but keep that phone switched on :P Thanks.

Meanwhile: has anyone booked anywhere for the night before (Wed)? There should be billions of options around Ghent - and there's no rush to get to a 2pm start-  but I thought we should try to be sociable if possible :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #65 on: 24 August, 2016, 12:21:27 pm »
I was out, last minute check of some parts of the route.
At this moment my brother is riding (solo) the route. It is very hot at this moment and the wind is not in his favor for the first 560 km. But he's going strong and aiming for a finish friday morning. If he didn't find any issues, the route is final. If not, there will be small changes, but surely nothing major.

I had some mails about the GPX file being too big (certainly for older GPS devices)
After the return of my brother, I'll cut the route in multiple GPX-files and publish them on the website.

I send an email to those who booked a room near the start, so that is covered.

I will send an email to all the participants this friday (or weekend, depending if I need to do work out some issues with the route), with all the details.

Meanwhile, I keep an eye on the weather forcast for next week. It's pretty good. Hope it stays that way.

The phone stays on and fully charged, no worries.
I try to have enough possibilities for charging your GPS devices (or is that too much pampering?  :) ) Just make sure you'll bring the right USB cables.

« Reply #66 on: 24 August, 2016, 12:28:41 pm »
Here's the route, but a bit smaller - http://wikisend.com/download/950532/BoB_full_clean.zip

And here's the route cut into 100km chunks - http://wikisend.com/download/152468/BoB_100.zip

I used this tool - https://simple-gpx.herokuapp.com/

« Reply #67 on: 24 August, 2016, 12:50:25 pm »
Thanks Rohnny.
How many starters are you expecting?
(Looking for headwind shelter :) )

« Reply #68 on: 24 August, 2016, 01:40:02 pm »
Thanks Rohnny.
How many starters are you expecting?
(Looking for headwind shelter :) )

About 70 already entered the event and I think there will be some last minute entries at the start.
24 riders from the UK!
4 female riders entered.
Turning away from the coast (at km 143) you should have a nice wind pushing you right to the control in Habay (km 563). Well, there are some rather hilly roads so some pedalling may be needed :)

« Reply #69 on: 24 August, 2016, 02:38:38 pm »
I was out, last minute check of some parts of the route.
At this moment my brother is riding (solo) the route. It is very hot at this moment and the wind is not in his favor for the first 560 km. But he's going strong and aiming for a finish friday morning. If he didn't find any issues, the route is final. If not, there will be small changes, but surely nothing major.

I had some mails about the GPX file being too big (certainly for older GPS devices)
After the return of my brother, I'll cut the route in multiple GPX-files and publish them on the website.

I send an email to those who booked a room near the start, so that is covered.

I will send an email to all the participants this friday (or weekend, depending if I need to do work out some issues with the route), with all the details.

Meanwhile, I keep an eye on the weather forcast for next week. It's pretty good. Hope it stays that way.

The phone stays on and fully charged, no worries.
I try to have enough possibilities for charging your GPS devices (or is that too much pampering?  :) ) Just make sure you'll bring the right USB cables.

My brother just let me know that some road work has begun along the route. It is rideable but as you will pass that place in the dark, I choose to go around it. It adds some 2 km to the route. Next changes I hope to cut some kms  :)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #70 on: 26 August, 2016, 07:57:13 pm »
Just had a thought:

Do we need EN341* Hi-Viz at night in Belgium?

(like you need in France)

*That number may be wrong - my memory isnt perfect ...

Meanwhile, we are booked into the ex-monastery hotel in Ghent centre. The rooms sound a bit grotty, but an amazing building :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #71 on: 26 August, 2016, 08:05:36 pm »
Just had a thought:

Do we need EN341* Hi-Viz at night in Belgium?

(like you need in France)

*That number may be wrong - my memory isnt perfect ...

Meanwhile, we are booked into the ex-monastery hotel in Ghent centre. The rooms sound a bit grotty, but an amazing building :)

I don't know about the numbers, but I ask you bring a reflective safety vest and that the light(s) on your bike are in good working order. Make yourself as visible as possible without looking like a cycling X-mas tree.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #72 on: 27 August, 2016, 11:16:46 am »
Helmets were mandatory when I rode Brussels Paris Brussels last year. Are helmets mandatory for this event?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #73 on: 27 August, 2016, 02:19:41 pm »
Helmets were mandatory when I rode Brussels Paris Brussels last year. Are helmets mandatory for this event?

I ride with a helmet. All the time. I got 3 broken helmets in my garage and I'm glad that it wasn't my skull that hit the ground. So I believe in the protection helmets provide. However...
1) wearing a helmet is not mandatory according the rules of ACP PARIS.
2) wearing a helmet is not mandatory for cyclists according the rules of the Belgian law.
3) wearing a helmet protects your brain. If you have nothing to protect...  ;)

I don't want to start a controverse, but I believe I shouldn't be "holier than the pope". Point 1) and 2) are clear. I don't see any reason to change that.

More:
RULES OF BREVETS RANDONNEURS MONDIAUX from 200 km to 1000 km:

Article 5 of the General Rules of ACP PARIS: During the event, each rider is considered to be on a personal ride. The rider must ride in accordance with all applicable traffic codes and obey all traffic signals.
The ACP, other organizers, ACP representative  and his/her association cannot and do not accept responsibility for any accidents that may occur during the course of a brevet.

So it's up to you, but I strongly suggest you wear a helmet when on a bike.

Rohnny

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #74 on: 28 August, 2016, 11:28:40 am »
The BoB website has the "final" version of the track, and if you follow the link the the gpsies version it says it was created 18 minutes ago by Rohnny:
"Created 18 minutes ago 8/28/16 11:02 AM"

It seems he's busy working on it now. Website also has four tracks, each with fewer than 10,000 points so it can be handled by GPS devices. This bloke thinks of everything.

See you at the start. I'll be easy to recognise: I'll be displaying a haunted, terrified demeanour.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.