Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575870 times)

fuzzy

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12875 on: 26 January, 2021, 02:04:16 pm »
The scaffolding is thump finally coming clang down next crash door :thumbsup:  Though if the scaffolders are as prodigiously useless workshy twats as the rufty-tufty hairy-arsed builders it could still drag on until Easter.

Back in the day when I scaffed, we were paid by the job- each one being worth so many hours pay.
As a result, we did jobs as fast and as often as possible. It took more than a bit of cold/ snow/ ice/ wind ect. to confine us to the pub.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12876 on: 26 January, 2021, 06:29:59 pm »
The scaffolding is thump finally coming clang down next crash door :thumbsup:  Though if the scaffolders are as prodigiously useless workshy twats as the rufty-tufty hairy-arsed builders it could still drag on until Easter.

Back in the day when I scaffed, we were paid by the job- each one being worth so many hours pay.
As a result, we did jobs as fast and as often as possible. It took more than a bit of cold/ snow/ ice/ wind ect. to confine us to the pub.

One of my fellow zeks in the Gulag came from a family of scaffolders.  They used to supplement their income by dealing coke, though apparently they were their own best customers.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #12877 on: 26 January, 2021, 07:40:31 pm »
Our boiler service, originally booked for Sept. has been postponed (on the due day) twice.  They're now talking about January.  Aye, right.
Oh look.  It's now the 1st week of May.  Not holding my breath.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ian

« Reply #12878 on: 26 January, 2021, 08:33:00 pm »

One of my fellow zeks in the Gulag came from a family of scaffolders.  They used to supplement their income by dealing coke, though apparently they were their own best customers.

When we had our house scaffolded to be painted (for reasons, the Asbestos Place wears a wooden overcoat) – that wasn't the plan, the painter had a tower but he saw a scaffolding lorry up the road and went and negotiated an alternative – they were so fast that by the time I got up and opened the curtains to see what the racket outside was, the house was enmeshed in metalwork and the lorry heading off down the street. It might have been less of a surprise had he mentioned his deal with the scaffolders.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12879 on: 01 February, 2021, 10:18:19 am »
An aged lady of our acquaintance gave me an Amazon token for my birthday last month. Amazon dot co dot bloody UK token that is. Thought today I'd use it on a DVD: "An Import Fee Deposit may be added to your purchase". Duh. How much? No way to calculate it and nothing visible at check-out, but rumours of £180 being knocked off for a measly couple of books came to mind so to hell with it, I'm not handing anyone a blank cheque.

I now have £25 sitting on my account.  MrsT: "you could get your sister something." Hah bloody hah she's in Norn Ireland, trans the Boris Border, same bullshit applies.

So there it lies. Bugger.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12880 on: 01 February, 2021, 12:48:16 pm »
Can you spend it on e-books or something else that's downloadable?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12881 on: 01 February, 2021, 01:16:39 pm »
Possibly, though I'm tempted to just let it sit there until the Westminster Brigade of Crooks & Arseholes have fixed things up.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12882 on: 01 February, 2021, 06:12:32 pm »
The receipt for my consignment today from Sainsbury's House of Toothy Comestibles is in a pdf format that my computer is unable to open.

Methinks the file is b0rked.

D has also tried to open the file and failed.

Sainsbury's Helldesk tell me they are unable to send me another receipt and I should look at my orders on their website.

My order is not quite the same as what has been delivered. (It's never exactly the same; bananas' weights etc vary.)

Paperless receipts are a pain when the system teeters.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12883 on: 01 February, 2021, 07:38:56 pm »
Oi, neighbourhood!  What’s with the fireworks  >:(

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #12884 on: 01 February, 2021, 11:08:48 pm »
Chinese New Year?
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #12885 on: 01 February, 2021, 11:20:14 pm »
February 12 this year according to Mr Google.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #12886 on: 01 February, 2021, 11:32:09 pm »
I should have checked it starts on 12 Feb not ends  :facepalm:
Mrs Google suggested National Freedom Day.
(She replys to me more often than Mr Google)
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #12887 on: 02 February, 2021, 07:43:17 am »
Carelessly tossed fag butt?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #12888 on: 02 February, 2021, 09:43:36 am »
The end of dry January?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #12889 on: 05 February, 2021, 09:46:01 pm »
I'm poorly sick & very glad I stocked up on extra loo roll  :hand:

Something I ate on Wednesday, pork chop, plain rice, grilled tomatoes, a piece of cheesecake or a piece of Gruyere later in the evening.  The toms were a week past their use by date but seemed OK. 

I had just cleaned the kitchen bench, so it's also possible some spray on stuff got into the food chain. 

I battled through it & logged onto work on THursday, but gave up & have spent most of today in bed. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12890 on: 05 February, 2021, 09:48:16 pm »
I'm poorly sick & very glad I stocked up on extra loo roll  :hand:
Something I ate on Wednesday, pork chop, plain rice, grilled tomatoes, a piece of cheesecake or a piece of Gruyere later in the evening.  The toms were a week past their use by date but seemed OK. 
I had just cleaned the kitchen bench, so it's also possible some spray on stuff got into the food chain. 
I battled through it & logged onto work on THursday, but gave up & have spent most of today in bed.

Get well soon!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #12891 on: 06 February, 2021, 04:03:10 am »
Cats...they are awake so need to show you they are awake. 

« Reply #12892 on: 06 February, 2021, 08:43:40 am »
Argos. We had some vouchers to use we get being on the ONS Covid testing. Wife converted them to use at Argos but couldn't get to work

I eventually got round to trying and copy and paste the I think 16 digit code but it won't work. Eventually realised you had to take out the spaces. Why oh why give you a long code you can't just copy and paste.

« Reply #12893 on: 06 February, 2021, 10:24:36 am »
Woke up to find my broadband is down, bloody BT.  A check on my phone no says they are aware & working on it...

Other parts of my life still resemble a “Kevin Bloody Wilson” song ...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12894 on: 08 February, 2021, 02:22:32 am »
rbs digital: if you do planned maintenance of your website between 01.55 and 02.30 every day, why don't you post this information BEFORE your customers are trying to arrange a payment and faff with card, card reader and phone, only for the page to FREEZE midway through proceedings?
I could easily have waited if I'd known but now I don't know if this money has gone through or not.
Ungruntled of Edgware (Miss)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12895 on: 08 February, 2021, 01:13:37 pm »
Power cut last night around midnight in my Rural Idyll, which I noticed when my pohone wasn't charging and the bedside light didn't work. Ah , that would explain the beeping I heard earlier, presumably some knind of lighting UPS. Anyhoo, experience tells me that on resumption of voles, my TV will spring into action causing unwanted noise and disturbance. Being a lazy abstrad and snuggled under my duvet I did not get up to unplug it, so indeed at 0150 it caused unwanted noise and disturbance once UKPN had fixed their gubbins.  I'll take that one as my own fault.

The additional bonus, having got back to sleep, of a noisy crashing sound permeating my slumbers was deffo not needed. A bit of scrabbling into clothes, peering through windows and venturing outside led me to surmise that The Drilling Man who lives downstairs is not as good at hanging cupboards/other (hopefully non structural) DIY as perhaps he thought.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #12896 on: 08 February, 2021, 03:19:33 pm »
Whoever wrote the Tesco home delivery substitutions algorithm.  It's 3 weeks until my delivery. Why, then inform me 1) that a product is unavailable now (a protein shake of a particulr flavour) and that no sustitutions will be made, especially when 2) I have same product in a different flavour in my list whch is still available and 3) there are alternative brands of similar product that I have purchased in the past.  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12897 on: 08 February, 2021, 05:15:34 pm »
Whoever wrote the Tesco home delivery substitutions algorithm.

I believe the algorithm is based on the level of fuckits in the person doing the picking.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12898 on: 08 February, 2021, 06:24:28 pm »
Whoever wrote the Tesco home delivery substitutions algorithm.

I believe the algorithm is based on the level of fuckits in the person doing the picking.

The algorithm is centrally generated.

STOOPID subs on the day are the product of both stoopid algorithms and clueless pickerdroids.

I have waited  THREE MONTHS for Sainsbury's raisins. They were finally available today. Pickerdroid managed to break bag and said I'll get a refund.

But I still don't have the raisins I want.

Pickerdroid tried to explain lack of raisins to D but his English was so poor that he had to show D a picture of the raisins.

I could not hear this doorstep exchange clearly. D blames his mask and SHOUTED to reepat.

Don't increase the gain; improve your diction FFS!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12899 on: 08 February, 2021, 08:27:51 pm »
Algorithms suggest 'Huggies' nappies instead of haggis, because it sounds similar. No human would do this, I hope.

Humans substitute the intolerable for the requested as, to them, they seem similar.

They also don't notice when, like today, they've picked up the cat food for 'Senior' cats when 'Adult (1-6) was ordered. Can't be bothered to complain. Cats seem to be eating it and D has done the same at Pets at Home.