Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 346409 times)

simonp

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1625 on: 06 December, 2020, 11:38:21 pm »
The route:

I had quite a lot of this. I fell over. 28m GP5000 TL not very grippy in thick mud. I had cleaned the bike this morning, how foolish.

I got to where I was meant to turn left, and there was a sign saying footpath closed due to dangerous bridge. So I had to continue for a mile, and trace a different route to get to the bit of road at the end of the path. The front fork crown got full of mud, and later on in another grassy lane I also needed (fortunately much shorter) I ended up with a large creature made of leaves and mud stuck behind the forks, I broke a stick off a tree to clear it out in the end, was like riding in treacle.

The result:

781 cluster, lots of 20x20 squares overlapping, so now I need to head further east.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1626 on: 07 December, 2020, 12:12:57 am »
Something makes me think GP5k's are not the ideal muddy off roading tyre... Can't think why.

I fell over. 28m GP5000 TL not very grippy in thick mud.

For some inexplicable reason I'm imagining a 70s public information film - possibly sponsored by Schwalbe - warning VeloViewer newbies of the dangers of Comedy Off-Roading on Midly Inappropriate Bikes.

Please can somebody make this happen, so I don't have to?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1627 on: 07 December, 2020, 12:17:50 am »

No, It's your idea...

:p

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1628 on: 07 December, 2020, 12:50:51 am »

No, It's your idea...

:p

J

Looking forward to this  :)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1629 on: 09 December, 2020, 10:14:09 pm »
Interesting!

Going back to the ride in my previous snip it still looks the same if I open it in VeloViewer.

However, if I look at Gerard van Kamp's activity tab on VeloViewer and filter to just get this ride I see this:

NB - you can tell that this is the activity tab as the embyonic 2*2 max squares are outlined.

So it looks like the VeloViewer dodgy-GPS-data filter is different depending on whether you view the ride on its own or on the activity tab.  I assume that the activity tab data is used to calculate Gerard's max square etc and also populate the RideEveryTile heatmap.

...and so the BlatantCheatometer swings back the other way.

But.......if I look at one of my rides on my activity tab where I forgot to turn the GPS back on after a cafe stop I have not been credited with the tiles that the straight line passes through.  The most obvious difference (other than country ::-)) between my missing chunk and Gerard's is that mine is 20k and 90 minutes and his is only 10k and 30 minutes.  If I get really bored I may experiment by chopping various sized chunks out of an old ride and re-uploading it to Strava and VeloViewer to see if there is a discernible pattern.

How strange!

Ben did something, and now the three tiles do not show as being bagged, and his max square is now down to 25.

I wonder if the rider in question will notice, and what he'll do about it.

J
--

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1630 on: 09 December, 2020, 10:32:28 pm »
I'm not a tilebagger - have too many other obsessions - but I did ride to Woerden one night from Den Haag along some of those roads purely to take a photograph of the Reypenaar Cheese Warehouse on Utrechtestraatweg, which turned out to be a very unimpressive brick building next to the Shanghai Palace Chinese Restaurant.  The way back was a little tense as from the way the mist was condensing over the canals it was getting very close to freezing and icy paths, but I got back unscathed and very late.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1631 on: 11 December, 2020, 02:55:23 pm »

Did a nice little 28k ride. It was cold, and wet, and windy. But I managed to increase my cluster to 956.

All being well will do a 60k ride on Monday which should see my square increase again.

I'm wondering if I can get my cluster to ≥1000 by the end of the year...

J
--

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #1632 on: 14 December, 2020, 03:33:26 pm »
Last month I started a new job and they allow 1.5 days a month to work on a personal/open source project.
I have an iPhone and I am thinking of creating an app that takes the unexplored tile export and my current position to work out if I have got a tile or not while out on a ride.
Would this be of any use to anyone else?
Is there anything like this now for an iPhone? (No point in duplicating effort e.g. I know there is an Android app and a Garmin app - I have a wahoo).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1633 on: 14 December, 2020, 05:19:50 pm »

That was a good afternoon. Took a train down to Alphen, and cycled home. 61.5km in total, at least 50km of which was with a nice tailwind. No slog, just joyous riding. This route bagged me 16 new tiles, expanded my cluster by 35 to 991, and most importantly of all, increased my square to two overlapping 22x22. I am now at the limit of what fits between the Noordzee and the Ijselmeer. My only option to get my square bigger, is to move the top edge south by four tiles, which means I'll also no longer be living in my max square.

Glad I chose to do this ride today and not as originally planned, on last Friday, It was about 10 degrees warmer today, I had to take my jacket off, I was too hot!

I wonder if I can get 9 more tils into my cluster by the end of the year, given the impending harder lockdown...

J
--

« Reply #1634 on: 15 December, 2020, 11:32:28 am »
Three years ago my GPS went for a bit of a wander around while I was having coffee with a couple of mates.  The resulting 5k spike nabbed a few tiles before I even knew what they were.

This means that I have a false positive for one tile that fortunately isn't part of my square or cluster.  I know that I could delete the ride from Strava, edit the spike out then re-upload it but that would lose the comments, photo's etc.  I would just go and grab it properly but it is 70k away, in a lower Covid tier and it is December so I wondered if anyone could think of an easier fix.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #1635 on: 15 December, 2020, 03:19:24 pm »
This means that I have a false positive for one tile that fortunately isn't part of my square or cluster.  I know that I could delete the ride from Strava, edit the spike out then re-upload it but that would lose the comments, photo's etc.  I would just go and grab it properly but it is 70k away, in a lower Covid tier and it is December so I wondered if anyone could think of an easier fix.
Could split the ride into 2 sections, then crop out the spike. That should still keep the photos and comments on the first section.

« Reply #1636 on: 15 December, 2020, 03:54:54 pm »
Good idea.  That is certainly a possibility but would mean that I have two 100k rides instead of one 200k ride  :(

The only time I have used the Strava ride splitting feature it completely messed up the two resulting rides and the Strava help team were particularly useless when I tried to get them interested in resolving it.

I guess I will have to live with the guilt until I get around to a trip to the deep south.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1637 on: 15 December, 2020, 05:36:47 pm »
I guess I will have to live with the guilt until I get around to a trip to the deep south.

Meh. It's only one rogue tile and it would be easy enough to collect it legitimately next time you're in that area. So unless it's boosting your max square or cluster in any significant way, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

You'll just have to live with all of us thinking that you're a disgraceful human being.  ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1638 on: 15 December, 2020, 08:29:14 pm »
Photos can be re-uploaded.  Are the comments really that valuable?

« Reply #1639 on: 15 December, 2020, 08:32:25 pm »
But what about all those kudos?

(I bet it would really annoy Jon if I Strava-stalked him to find that ride and give him an extra kudo)

« Reply #1640 on: 15 December, 2020, 08:49:41 pm »
OK I admit it - it was all about the Kudos.

I guess I could screenshot the comments and the Kudos and upload that along with the photos  :-\

« Reply #1641 on: 15 December, 2020, 10:45:33 pm »
...well it looks like Deano is bored enough this evening for some Strava stalking and has gone Kudos Krazy  :-*

« Reply #1642 on: 15 December, 2020, 10:49:09 pm »
I'm not going deep enough to find that ride (yet), but I'm happy to dish out the kudos :)

I wouldn't fret it, just grab the tile when you get chance.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1643 on: 19 December, 2020, 12:40:04 pm »
A trip to the Northron Wastes with some comedy off-roading and bike 'n' hike netted 40 new tiles to increase the max cluster by 63 to 1693.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1644 on: 20 December, 2020, 07:46:43 pm »

Went out to do a 102k ride, 50k into a headwind, then 50 k home with a tail wind. But by 55k my toes were so cold I bailed to a train. All up I did 60km. But I bagged the tiles I was aiming for. Thirteen new tiles bagged, no change in square, cluster now up to 1012, which completes my target a cluster of 1000 by the end of 2020. Was very pretty out there once the rain stopped... 10579 total tiles.

J
--

« Reply #1645 on: 26 December, 2020, 11:05:49 am »
Yesterday I managed to bag 4 tiles which were blocking my progress for more than a year. On these tiles is a military training ground. I reckoned that with christmas there'll be no-one present. Part of the training ground is very loose sand. The rain of the past few days did harden it up enough to make it rideable. Especially since apprantly no vehicles had been powing the tracks.
Since it's a training ground where duds and other explosive things can be around, I defintely stuck to the tracks made by wheeled vehicles and prefered to go through the occasional puddle and not around it, off the track.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1646 on: 26 December, 2020, 07:29:54 pm »
I seem to have lost the Veloviewer menu from Strava. Just me or have others had the same? I've checked my Strava app settings and it still says Veloviewer has access.  ???
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1647 on: 26 December, 2020, 08:06:21 pm »
I don’t recall ever seeing a veloviewer menu in the strava app.  HTH ???

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1648 on: 26 December, 2020, 09:10:20 pm »

Had three good days of tile bagging. Xmas eve I got the count up to 10599 tiles 22x22 square, and a cluster of 1049 with a 100k ride oop noorf. Xmas day I went out and did another 108km ride, this time the winds were more benign, and aside from being chased by showers, it was a great ride. It got me up to 10630 tiles, 23x23 square, and a 1098 cluster. Today the winds were stronger, and from the south west, which governed what my choices would be. I had realised that with a big of zigzagging across the bottom of my square I could add a bit to it. Well 100.6km later, and I had brought my tile total to 10685, my square is 24x24, and my cluster is 1178. I'm amazed how fast it's gone up, I hadn't expected the jumps to be so large.

I now also don't live inside my max square which was always an inevitability, as the Ijsselmeer and the Noordzee kinda get in the way.

Cluster of 2021 remains the target for 2021.

J
--

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #1649 on: 28 December, 2020, 02:33:50 pm »
Today's ride brought 82 new tiles in 138km and extended the cluster from 3659 to 4049. Lovely ride it was as well, especially compared to the stormy shitty weather yesterday.