Author Topic: Kids' bikes with hub gears - do such things exist?  (Read 4627 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Kids' bikes with hub gears - do such things exist?
« on: 27 October, 2020, 10:34:11 am »
Miss mini-rower40 snr has now outgrown her single-speed starter bike, and needs something with 20" wheels.  I'm concerned by the exposedness of the chain of all such derailleur-fitted bikes, the faff of not being able to change gear when stationary, and how close the jockey wheels are to the ground.  Is there something I can get for her, off-the-peg/shelf with either a Sturmey-Archer or Shimano Nexus hub gear?
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Re: Kids' bikes with hub gears - do such things exist?
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2020, 02:48:06 pm »
1960s Moulton Minis come up on ebay quite often.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2020, 03:17:33 pm »
Commonplace in Germany and possibly the Netherlands. Puky has hub-geared kids bikes, no doubt there are other manufacturers.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2020, 03:27:52 pm »
I bought a singlespeed kids' bike and fitted a SA hub to it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 27 October, 2020, 06:27:47 pm »
Commonplace in Germany and possibly the Netherlands. Puky has hub-geared kids bikes, no doubt there are other manufacturers.
My son had a Puky when he was a small person. Hub gears, mudguards, rack and dynamo lights.

Far too sensible for the British market.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6 on: 27 October, 2020, 09:38:40 pm »
I bought a German made s/h 20" wheeler around seven years ago, off gum tree for £ 14.50 . Sold it last month to a mate for forty quid . Normal sensible continentals stuff  like light weight steel frame , 3 speed sach IGH with back pedal brake , dynamo lights, all good quality components  and a rack that will carry an older sibling . As I told my mate it's an investment not a toy . Well worth checking out ebay ect .

Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #7 on: 17 December, 2020, 01:16:44 am »
converting a singlespeed is not difficult to do. SJS currently have 28H SA AW hubs  (NOS of the pre-NIG variety) for £20.

cheers

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #8 on: 01 January, 2021, 05:44:37 pm »
My son had a Puky when he was a small person. Hub gears, mudguards, rack and dynamo lights.

Far too sensible for the British market.
I tried to do the same.  Shop (70+ miles away) said they had one in size X
there we journeyed
they didn't.  We ended up with something stupidly heavy (Y frame and front sus) as an improvement on nothing.
by the time younger guy was that sort of size islabikes had appeared.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.