Author Topic: Journeys with no safe bike option  (Read 7625 times)

Re: Journeys with no safe bike option
« Reply #50 on: 08 April, 2021, 01:01:36 pm »
River crossings are a big problem in many areas. Not just the estuaries where there's only a motorway or motorway-style bridge, but there are long stretches of rivers where there were obviously ferries in the past (you can tell from the way roads come down to the river on opposite banks, and sometimes from place names). Now all those ferries have closed, you can have to ride ten miles or so out of your way before getting to a bridge, which although it's bike legal will not always be bike friendly. For instance in the fifteen or so miles between Tewkesbury and Worcester there are only two crossings of the Severn, and one of those is the M50.
I was going to say that the M50 at least has a reputation for being quiet, but with signs like "Intermittent Hard Shoulder for 8 miles", and limited egress...  :hand:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #51 on: 08 April, 2021, 08:21:28 pm »
Stonehaven to Aberdeen requires a ludicrously tortuous route.

The A90 is another of those motorways-in-all-but-name roads.

Agreed. Major opportunity lost to make the A90 more cycle friendly when they brought in the AWPR.

There are remarkably few routes to get you sensibly to Aberdeen from south of the city once you get past Muchalls.

Sam

Things have improved a bit since the opening of AWPR. The Netherley road is much more pleasant to cycle, though still not direct.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #52 on: 08 April, 2021, 10:37:16 pm »
@Arabella there is a footway/ cycleway on the M2 bridge (upstream of Rochester Bridge) or is that what you meant?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #53 on: 09 April, 2021, 01:49:49 pm »
@Arabella there is a footway/ cycleway on the M2 bridge (upstream of Rochester Bridge) or is that what you meant?
Didn't know about that, I've been using the A2 bridge (from Higham, then up Chatham hill and off to the N Kent Coast).  I'll look into it, thanks.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.