Author Topic: A wee drop of whisky  (Read 39018 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: A wee drop of whisky
« Reply #50 on: 18 January, 2009, 10:00:02 pm »
There is a Pub in Aalborg, Denmark, which had around 80 (only) different whisky's. And yes I spend a lot of time in there drooling as I was a poor student for most of the time and could not afford the ones on the top shelf.

I did treat myself to a wee drop of MacAllan 25 year old on my 25th birthday, and it was most enjoyable :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #51 on: 18 January, 2009, 10:51:32 pm »
For Xmas Pingu got a bottle of Cragganmore, and a bottle of Talisker Distillers Edition (14yo, aged in sherry cask) from one of my brothers, to add to his collection. (Talisker 18yo, Caol Isla, etc)
Basically whenever he's stuck for a present my bro gets him some whisky, which works out quite well for Pingu being as my bro works for Diageo and can get all sorts of interesting stuff.

I think my brother has his 'retirement fund' stashed in a sideboard made up of unusual bottlings of their outputs.
He actually works at one of only a handful of single grain whisky distilleries, which is handy.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #52 on: 18 January, 2009, 11:07:14 pm »
I have one bottle left from the family distillery. Which is now a PC World.

I'm not sure I'll ever open it.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #53 on: 18 January, 2009, 11:19:50 pm »
I have one bottle left from the family distillery. Which is now a PC World.

I'm not sure I'll ever open it.
???
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #54 on: 20 January, 2009, 09:10:57 am »
PC World in Inverness.  :'(

« Reply #55 on: 20 May, 2010, 03:49:27 pm »
Exhuming this, I've just been given a bottle of 1970 Aberlour by Helen's dad*.
It's come complete with an immaculate presentation box.
Bottled in 1991 after being matured in bourbon casks since 1970.
They made 8000 bottles.

I'm quite fond of the ordinary Aberlour (less so the "young" stuff my mum and dad insist on buying me when they're visiting from Spain) so this promises to be a treat.
But, when do I open it ?
Should I open it ?
An even bigger question- should I return it ? I'm pretty sure that Helen's dad hasn't looked into how much it's worth (web-search says ~£300). Helen is pretty adamant that it's a present for me and I should do what I like with it.

Selling it isn't an option so, return or drink at some unspecified time in the future ?

*I've never met him- her parents were clearing out their place in Brixham before they sold it. They live in France now. We also got quite a large selction of wine  :thumbsup:
He doesn't like whisky- it was a present from a supplier when he retired.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #56 on: 20 May, 2010, 03:52:03 pm »
Drink & return the bottle?  ;)

« Reply #57 on: 20 May, 2010, 08:25:07 pm »
Never managed to keep a bottle for more than...couple of hours tops! Never could see the point of glasses. And as for adding anything to any spirits....
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #58 on: 20 May, 2010, 08:33:23 pm »
Party at your place then ;)   :thumbsup:

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #59 on: 20 May, 2010, 08:39:26 pm »
Exhuming this, I've just been given a bottle of 1970 Aberlour by Helen's dad*.
It's come complete with an immaculate presentation box.
Bottled in 1991 after being matured in bourbon casks since 1970.
They made 8000 bottles.

I'm quite fond of the ordinary Aberlour (less so the "young" stuff my mum and dad insist on buying me when they're visiting from Spain) so this promises to be a treat.
But, when do I open it ?
Should I open it ?
An even bigger question- should I return it ? I'm pretty sure that Helen's dad hasn't looked into how much it's worth (web-search says ~£300). Helen is pretty adamant that it's a present for me and I should do what I like with it.

Selling it isn't an option so, return or drink at some unspecified time in the future ?

*I've never met him- her parents were clearing out their place in Brixham before they sold it. They live in France now. We also got quite a large selction of wine  :thumbsup:
He doesn't like whisky- it was a present from a supplier when he retired.

My mouth is watering. I'd keep it and open it on the next big special occasion ie birthday/anniversary/birth and have a little tipple. Not much and then keep it for the next occasion.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #60 on: 20 May, 2010, 09:29:54 pm »
Once opened, good whisky does not keep well. Drink within a week  ;)

i'm sure there would be some willing volunteers to aid you in this task ::-)

« Reply #61 on: 20 May, 2010, 10:07:45 pm »
Next big event, short of a lottery win, is my 50th  :'(
I'm not sure that getting my new/replacement Enigma will count  ;)

Serious question:- has anyone noticed whisky (or other strong spirits) going off ?
I know that, in theory, they should oxidise (more so as the bottle empties) but I've never noticed any change in taste, even with bottles that are several months old.

Or does nobody keep a bottle that long ?  ;D

« Reply #62 on: 06 October, 2010, 04:34:27 pm »
Whisky lovers may like this sporcle quiz :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #63 on: 06 October, 2010, 04:48:33 pm »
Pah, only 15 right. I needed a dram first, I think!

« Reply #64 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:02:13 pm »
Whisky lovers may like this sporcle quiz :)

Their spelling of Macallan is wrong. ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #65 on: 07 October, 2010, 09:59:53 am »
Their spelling of Macallan is wrong

Yes, it's a pain when this happens. Still, will know to use writer's spelling on the second, third etc attempt ...

« Reply #66 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:43:00 pm »
Have you tried spelling "Bunnahabhain" when you're up against the clock ?  :o ;)

And yes, I'll have another go.

« Reply #67 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:39:38 am »
Have you tried spelling "Bunnahabhain" when you're up against the clock

Yes... and I screwed it up. Got it right the second and third time, tho  :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #68 on: 08 October, 2010, 09:48:05 am »
Britchladitch too!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #69 on: 18 September, 2016, 08:52:41 am »
Port Ellen, 59.35%, distilled in 1978, 24 years old, Islay single malt, one of 12000 and numbered. She is my pride and joy, very tasty, does need a wee bit of water to calm her down but boy do the flavours come out. This whisky is getting harder to get hold of as the distillery burned down in '81 (I think) and they stopped distilling it.
Ah remember this, well I for some reason decided that I would save the rest for a special occasion.

Last night PG Tips and I decided that we should have a drop of the Spirit of Lewis from the Abhaidd Dearg distillery on Isle of Lewis. While I was getting the glasses ready I remembered that I had a another bottle and it has been years since I had sip from that.

While I was telling PG Tips how I got this bottle back in 2003, I looked it up on the old 'tinterweb. Back then, I got it at the eye watering £110 a bottle, but I just had to have as I had read so much about it.

It is the the PORT ELLEN 1978, 24 Year Old, 2nd Release 70cl / 59.35%, Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky. A very nice drink, as I have popped it open (key word here) cause how else would I know if what I have read is right, and true to the written word - it is very good whisky.

Today the very same bottle unopened (a much more important key word here), would go for about £1500-1750 on the whisky exchange ..
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #70 on: 18 September, 2016, 08:16:56 pm »
Serious question:- has anyone noticed whisky (or other strong spirits) going off ?
I know that, in theory, they should oxidise (more so as the bottle empties) but I've never noticed any change in taste, even with bottles that are several months old.

I have tried a few whiskys that had gone off. A lowland "Littlemill" that probably had been opened a decade or so and with very little remaining. A very light bodied and slightly "odd" whisky to start with.
A Redbreast std 12y.: same story; it had been opened for many years with very little in the bottle. The owner who had kept the bottle for fun, claims that pot still whiskey doesn't keep well when exposed to air.

Other whiskys I have tried may have changed slightly over the years, but not always for the worse and generally very little if the bottle is more than ½ full.
I would say that decanting the whisky into a smaller bottle is a very good idea if the bottle is less than ½ full and you expect it to last a year or more before finishing. 
I guess  that light bodied whiskys bottled at 40% is probably more at risk than a peaty cask strength whisky at 57%.

--
Regards

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #71 on: 21 December, 2016, 09:57:51 am »
I decided to treat myself this Christmas (no-one else will so why not) and spend far more than I normally would on a bottle of Bruichladdich (sp?) Port Charlotte.

I opened it last night and had a wee tipple. I was very not disappointed, not quite as peaty as I was expecting, but it was absolutely gorgeous.  The aroma was more honey-ish than heavy peat, but with a bit of smokiness and iodine, and the flavour again was very subtle for such a heavy whisky (bottled at ~60%) and had loads of honey, bitter orange, almond and then subtle peaty smokeiness.

I'd definitely recommend
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #72 on: 21 December, 2016, 10:02:56 am »
There is just so much to choose from. Port and sherry finishes with peat smoke are my favorite  :P

« Reply #73 on: 21 December, 2016, 10:09:07 am »
I've bought my father a bottle of "Paul John Brilliance" for Christmas.   it's from Goa....    Should be interesting to try, it gets good reviews.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #74 on: 21 December, 2016, 12:46:40 pm »
PC World in Inverness.  :'(
They're turning the Engine Shed into a microdistillery.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.