Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 288029 times)

Look, I know I'm a bit strange, I quite like banjo. At least, good banjo playing. Chances are, if you do too, you may well know of Mean Mary. On the chance that you don't here's here latest vid which is a good intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk_cWxy47ps

She writes and plays her own stuff and reminds me of nothing as much as those absurdly talented musicians you'd come across occasionally in folk clubs. Iron Horse (22:45) if you want to jump to a stonking banjo bit, but you'll miss a lot.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
That thing where you're watching a mediocre episode of Witless Silence, and suddenly realise that you recognise that fragment of boot tread pattern in the blood stains because you're currently wearing them.  Yeah.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
You actually know your boot tread?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
You actually know your boot tread?

Yeah, well, takes a lot of scrubbing to work the bleach into the crevices...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Look, I know I'm a bit strange, I quite like banjo. At least, good banjo playing. Chances are, if you do too, you may well know of Mean Mary. On the chance that you don't here's here latest vid which is a good intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk_cWxy47ps

She writes and plays her own stuff and reminds me of nothing as much as those absurdly talented musicians you'd come across occasionally in folk clubs. Iron Horse (22:45) if you want to jump to a stonking banjo bit, but you'll miss a lot.

Thanks, Ham.  I've got a banjo but I can't play it worth a damn - started too late, I suppose.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Someone on an audax WhatsApp group recently posted a photo of the two magazines they'd just received through the post: Arrivee and British Bluegrass News.

They thought it was niche but it seems like it must be a big niche...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Lauren Laverne played this on the radio today. Got to be one of the strangest songs in the history of popular music - the bizarre juxtaposition of wholesome image and lyrical filth is quite something.

Also... that scene in Anchorman.

https://youtu.be/wu1UXCdyNo0
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Think my wife and I are heading for divorce.

Tonight, when I was flicking through the TV channels and asking what she would like to watch I (jokingly) said "What about Mrs Brown's Boys?"  To which she replied "Ooh yes. Good idea".

I just don't think there is any going back after something like that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
One of the biggest problems with belonging to a choir is that most of the music we sing is religious, and I'm not. Mostly, it doesn't matter too much because our staples are well-known works which have passed the test of time because the music is good: J. S. Bach, Handel, Mozart, Vivaldi and Verdi constitute a large percentage of our output.

In complete contrast, last night we had a run-through of Stainer's "Crucifixion", an especially dire work from the Victorian era which the composer wrote specifically so that it should be accessible to parish church choirs (ie the music isn't taxing). Even John Stainer himself described it as "rubbish", which demonstrates that he did have a good side. The problem is that many choir members are there as an adjunct to their faith and they think that singing is somehow going to place them closer to the Almighty.

Most of the time this doesn't really matter. But when Easter approaches, the "Passion" music abounds. For the past few weeks, we have been singing Bach's St. John Passion, which is an absolutely wonderful work with some of the finest choral writing ever. Last night, we had a run-through of Stainer's Crucifixion. It really brings it home to you how thoroughly unpleasant is the celebration of the torture and slow agonising death of an innocent man. When it's Bach, the music is so wonderful that you can put the sheer nastiness at the back of your mind, and of course there's always the option of singing it in German, which in a Zoom rehearsal you can, and no-one else notices. But with the Stainer, you can't. I'm afraid that its continued performance almost 150 years after its composition is largely down to the fact that a significant number of choir members have developed a faith which is completely out of proportion to, and probably at the expense of, any good taste they might have had.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
While I am watching an ROH production of Gounod's Faust and reflecting on the similarity of 19th-century attitudes to modern-day Islam, particularly WRT women - saints or whores with nothing in between.  Music's good, though, and Bryn Terfel is terrific.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I can haz new GY!BE album w00t :thumbsup:

Kudos to the lovely people at Sister Ray for including a hand-written thank-you note*, a BEER mat and two stickers with the CD.

* joining Geoff Davies of Probe Plus, Don Wilkie of Constellation and Sel Balamir of the mighty Amplifier in the pantheon of Nice Peops in the Music Biz
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Lauren Laverne played this on the radio today. Got to be one of the strangest songs in the history of popular music - the bizarre juxtaposition of wholesome image and lyrical filth is quite something.

The 1970s was a decade of filth. Mostly cos the dustmen were on strike.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen

That (song not the dustmen strike) takes me straight back to Roger Scott's show on Capital Radio. Back to a time when commercial radio wasn't crap.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
(Sings)
Grab a little piece of heaven
With Roger Scott from three till seven
Etc.

It worries me that I possess this information.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
You are not alone, either in the worrying or in the possession.

Think my wife and I are heading for divorce.

Tonight, when I was flicking through the TV channels and asking what she would like to watch I (jokingly) said "What about Mrs Brown's Boys?"  To which she replied "Ooh yes. Good idea".

I just don't think there is any going back after something like that.

That could be serious, certainly.  It could be she thinks it's a documentary about personality disorder, in which case there might be hope (if you want hope?).  If she thinks it's a comedy, I think you need to decide which are your CDs. SOON.

That (song not the dustmen strike) takes me straight back to Roger Scott's show on Capital Radio. Back to a time when commercial radio wasn't crap.

That must have been the era of Nicky Horne’s late night show I guess.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen

That must have been the era of Nicky Horne’s late night show I guess.
Indeed it was. And P Y the pork pie on a Saturday morning. Nicky Horne is still broadcasting. Roger Scott died somd years ago.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
And Michael Aspel (!) and Dave Cash.  Professor Larrington won the lunchtime quiz on Dave Cash's show.  £200 of Levi clothes.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah

And people think the Lemon Song is rude ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

I've mentioned discovering Hollie McNish in other threads, I've been enjoying wading through her back catalogue and it probably isn't done to mention some of her other poems I've enjoyed, like the one about breastfeeding or the one about immigration, so I won't.

But I must pass on this one I found: Language Learning, it has special resonance if you speak a foreign language, and especially French, and is possibly the only bilingual poem I've ever heard. If you enjoy it at all, stay right to the end. I laughed out loud.

citoyen

possibly the only bilingual poem I've ever heard

https://youtu.be/79O_Nv0RFXs

;)

I like that poem (Hollie's one, not Bill's) - and I can kind of relate to it. Thanks for sharing!