Author Topic: Spring Classics  (Read 6061 times)

Spring Classics
« on: 23 February, 2013, 03:24:08 pm »
Just a heads-up really, but the season's started, Omloop's on and G's in the break with 5 k to go!

Might have missed a bit of what was going on as trying to multitask with the Rugby, but G finished 4th ahead of Chava in the gallop, but all in all a good start for the Welshman

'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Spring Classics
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2013, 03:59:27 pm »
The classics have started so spring's here, yay!

[I'll ignore the snow that was falling on my ride this morning]

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Spring Classics
« Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2013, 07:40:48 pm »
That was a good race. G looked good, especially considering he had a heavy fall earlier.

Kind of a shame they let those two escape - once they were away, the result was a foregone conclusion.

Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne tomorrow - the first showdown of the season between Cav and Greipel. Can't wait.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2013, 08:18:44 pm »
Luca Paolini is a right powerhouse isn't he? Being more of a one-day man he doesn't seem to have as much of a profile as the stage racers. I find the number of riders racing today's Omloop who're on the start list for KBK tomorrow to be quite an eye-opener; Paolini, Vandenbergh, Boonen, Thomas, Flecha and other masochists. I forget at times that they do this for a living and probably approach the weekend as a two stage race, but they're still nutters as far as I'm concerned, especially considering the temperature can't be much more than 0oC.

Can't wait for the opening Cav/Gorilla ding-dong tomorrow either. Hopefully I'll remember it's on before the closing 10k this time.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 23 February, 2013, 08:57:08 pm »
Was that on Eurosport?

Good to see Geraint back on form after practically a year out. He's due a big Classics win.

« Reply #5 on: 23 February, 2013, 09:40:46 pm »
No idea! I clicked one of the links on cyclingfans.com. Eurosport are showing KBK but not until late evening by the looks of it, so I'll be chasing noisy low-res streams via said website again tomorrow, and postpone any month by month subscription to Eurosport until Paris Nice kicks off. Possibly.

Spring Classics
« Reply #6 on: 23 February, 2013, 11:18:48 pm »
Eurosport have kbk live from 2.15 gmt on my guide. Plus you'll get feeds linked on procyclinglive and cyclingfans websites.

Can I just get my 15 minutes of fame and say I picked Paolini in my fantasy team coz he is know as a good early spring/cobbled classics rider. Not really a surprise. My surprise was picking another 4 in the next 7 home which no doubt will never happen again. And I never had any money on it.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #7 on: 24 February, 2013, 12:18:03 am »
Eurosport are still showing skiing and stuff, they weren't even showing the World Track Championships. They did show Qatar, Oman and the Algarve though. The Spring Classics are my favourite, I'll check to see if KBK is on tomorrow.

Spring Classics
« Reply #8 on: 24 February, 2013, 06:28:50 am »
KBK is on Eurosport 2 live at 14.15 then highlights at 21.15 today

citoyen

Spring Classics
« Reply #9 on: 24 February, 2013, 10:17:14 am »
KBK is cancelled due to dangerous conditions. :(

« Reply #10 on: 24 February, 2013, 02:04:44 pm »
A*se.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #11 on: 24 February, 2013, 02:24:10 pm »
Bah! I was looking forward to that, couldn't understand why it wasn't on when I got home now. I notice that Cav (or Geraint) had tweeted a very snowy photo, didn't mention it was cancelled. A recap of Wiggins's tour win it is then!

« Reply #12 on: 04 March, 2013, 12:37:09 pm »
Anyone else catch the end of the Roma Maxima yesterday, where Filippo Pozzato won the sprint and what he thought was the race - and celebrated as if he'd won - oblivious to the fact that Blel Kadri had crossed the line 37 seconds earlier? 

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 04 March, 2013, 01:21:11 pm »
Yes, one of the benefits/flaws of having no race radio. I guess the peloton only saw the five-man chase group and didn't realise there was another chap up the road.

Great ride by Kadri. Would have been cruel if they'd caught him.

Did you see the Strade Bianche on Saturday too? Superb team tactics by Cannondale to nullify Cancellara, with the happy side effect that they took the top two places on the podium.   :thumbsup:

d.

citoyen

« Reply #14 on: 22 March, 2013, 09:57:48 am »
E3-Harelbeke today. Can Boonen make it number 6? I don't think so myself. I'm going for Pozzato for this one.

Ghent-Wevelgem on Sunday.

« Reply #15 on: 22 March, 2013, 04:24:51 pm »
It's easy to admire Cancellara. He's not afraid to make a move, and when he does make that move, it's 100% effort from a long way out. What's more he's always forcing the top riders to compete.

Good show from Geraint Thomas, he's consistently in the mix with the big guns.

Great win today for Spartacus, and plenty of excitement to come in Flanders and Roubaix
#makewattsnotwar

citoyen

« Reply #16 on: 22 March, 2013, 04:53:08 pm »
Good show from Geraint Thomas, he's consistently in the mix with the big guns.

Great leadout for Sagan!  ;D

He's showing some good form. He just needs to get himself in a break without Sagan and maybe he'll win something big soon.

Great win today for Spartacus, and plenty of excitement to come in Flanders and Roubaix

Yeah, great to see he's still got it. That was a fantastic ride by him today. Much prefer watching him ride like that than listening to him whinge about other riders.

« Reply #17 on: 22 March, 2013, 07:49:51 pm »
As much as I like Sagan and he's a real Merckx-esque rider, it's also good to see he's beatable and can feel 'empty in legs' like the others.  There's looking to be a proper patch/period of quality riders for the next few years

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #18 on: 24 March, 2013, 11:03:56 am »
I can't see Ghent-Wevelgem on Eurosport's schedules for today  :o  :(

citoyen

« Reply #19 on: 24 March, 2013, 11:08:02 am »
Is it definitely going ahead? There were reports of snow from Ghent yesterday and the route has already been curtailed by 45km.

« Reply #20 on: 24 March, 2013, 12:10:17 pm »
Is it definitely going ahead? There were reports of snow from Ghent yesterday and the route has already been curtailed by 45km.

It's going ahead, but the Casselberg may be cut from the parcours, depending on what conditions are like today.

I'm not sure if Philippe Gilbert's ear-warmers are UCI-approved though... ;D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gent-wevelgem-start-moved-to-gistel
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/gallery-on-the-startline-at-gent-wevelgem/258149
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #21 on: 24 March, 2013, 12:57:35 pm »
No Eurosport coverage for Gent-Wevelgem (anybody know why?) I'd rather see that than the Volta stage, I'll try a Dutch feed from steephill.tv later...

« Reply #22 on: 24 March, 2013, 01:53:14 pm »
On Sporza now in French. Some of them must be thinking 'It's bloomin' freezin'. Why didn't I get picked for the Volta squad?'  Stannard was doing turns on the front, and is going to usurp G's position as Sky's classic's man at this rate. And when does JT-L get to spin his legs? I know he's down as a puncheur for the stage races, but I'd have thought it might be worth giving him a shot at a one-day.

(Edit: For some reason I was getting French commentary when clicking a Sporza link. Back to Dutch now)

« Reply #23 on: 24 March, 2013, 01:54:25 pm »
He'll probably come to the fore more in the Ardennes.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #24 on: 24 March, 2013, 02:27:55 pm »
G and Spartacus have both packed.