Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 230163 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #800 on: 04 September, 2016, 09:48:40 pm »
Awww shucks  :-*

It was so lovely to see you, little one  :-*
Milk please, no sugar.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #801 on: 01 October, 2016, 12:37:52 am »

Feeder
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #802 on: 02 October, 2016, 01:26:36 am »

Mark Radcliffe's Galleon Blast

« Reply #803 on: 02 October, 2016, 12:41:17 pm »
A live performance of Steve Reich's "Different Trains" at Liverpool's Edge Hill railway station, with a specially commissioned film.

The audience was on a sloping cobbled road that used to be used as access for horse drawn carriages to the station, specially opened for the event.  The stage was at the far end and there were working railway lines at either side, with extra atmosphere provided by announcements from the station.

The evening started with Mats Bergstrom performing Reich's "Electric Counterpoint", which was really good. Sadly this doesn't appear on the video stream. 

The main performance was spellbinding, with live play from the London Contemporary Orchestra and Bill Morrison's sombre filmed accompaniment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXDJSSAns1k   Video of the event & an interview.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/sep/30/watch-steve-reichs-different-trains-performed-by-the-lco-at-edge-hill-station-liverpool

https://gerryco23.wordpress.com/2016/09/30/an-extraordinary-performance-of-different-trains-in-the-worlds-first-railway-station/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #804 on: 07 October, 2016, 12:56:15 am »
Jamie Cullum doing a freebie, and having the stage full of people by the end. That's the second time I've seen him for nothing this year. His music isn't the type of stuff I normally listen too.

« Reply #805 on: 09 October, 2016, 10:59:03 pm »
Explosions In The Sky at the Philharmonic Hall in Liverpool.    I'd not seen them live before, Rather Bloody Good..

Here they are in Washington DC in August.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNMhiMtNq2g  Different set list to tonight's gig though.

« Reply #806 on: 11 October, 2016, 09:58:00 pm »
Just back from seeing Australian jazz pianist Sean Foran at Liverpool's Capstone Theatre.   A very talented chap backed up by some wonderful British musicians.

Listening to the album now  :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0QNheFiRVg

http://www.londonjazznews.com/2016/08/cd-review-sean-foran-frame-of-reference.html

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/oct/04/sean-foran-review-quintet-pizza-express-jazz-club-stuart-mccallum

« Reply #807 on: 25 October, 2016, 10:43:46 pm »
Loudon Wainwright III at the Barbican in York. Shite venue, great gig.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #808 on: 26 October, 2016, 12:37:31 am »
Yeah, there's not many people that are worth enduring the Barbican for.  I was most pleased that (30-odd years after I used to listen to More Love Songs somewhat frequently) LWIII still counts among them.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #809 on: 26 October, 2016, 01:41:34 am »
Robyn Hitchcock at Cecil Sharp House in That London, with Miss von Brandenburg and a thoroughly splendid time was had by all, although Mr Hitchcock did look rather tired, the poor old chap.  Support from Nashville-domiciled Sydneysider Emma Swift and BJ Cole on pedal steels:

Emma Swift by Mr Larrington, on Flickr.  She has a voice and a half, which masks her somewhat workmanlike guitar playing and songwriting - her best song was a cover of a Rowland S Howard number (yes, him wot used to be in The Birthday Party :o)

Uncle Bobby by Mr Larrington, on Flickr.  Note matching shirt and tablecloth.  Here he is explaining that in the film version of his autobiography he will be played by Benedict Cumberbatch, while Bryan Ferry will be played by Tilda Swinton.

Robyn joined by Emma and BJ for a couple of numbers mid-set by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Fresh shirt for the encores by Mr Larrington, on Flickr.  The Velvets' "Caroline Says", His Bobness' "Visions Of Johanna" (complete with missing verse) and his own "Queen Elvis".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #810 on: 27 October, 2016, 02:07:50 pm »

Mark Radcliffe's Galleon Blast

I didn't know Clarion played drums.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #811 on: 28 October, 2016, 10:45:29 am »
Last night I went to see the energy, joy and commitment that is Merry Hell. They're from Wigan, so seeing them in That London was a bit of treat.  They were playing at The Miller, a pub in Southwark(?), in their compact and bijou upstairs space. Support was Phil Odgers and Bobby Valentino (who dat? Phil Odgers is Swill from The Men They Couldn't Hang, Bobby Valentino looks like Clark Gable, plays the violin and was a Fabulous Poodle. I saw TMTCH in Battersea Park in 1985, where they were on the same bill as turistaTerry and Gerry. Damn, I'm getting old.)

Anyhoo, Phil an Bobby were great. A short break and the room filled up a bit more, say 60 people, and Merry Hell lit up the place. Like it says on their website:
Our art is energy and our hope is unity

A cracking evening out. And I bought a couple of CDs.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #812 on: 28 October, 2016, 06:24:41 pm »
Gosh!  I saw Bobby Valentino loon-dancing on stage during Dire Straits' encores at the Rainbow in December 1979.  I think drinkohol may have been involved, as was Phil Lynott.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #813 on: 29 October, 2016, 12:25:42 am »
Ezra Furman, at the O2 Ritz in Manchester with That Deano and the EldestCub.  Jolly splendid it was too.

« Reply #814 on: 02 November, 2016, 10:56:44 pm »
Hayseed Dixie again, this time at a smaller venue, the Garage. As much fun as ever.

fuzzy

« Reply #815 on: 03 November, 2016, 01:58:56 pm »
Tuesday night was Bastille at the O2.

Dan Smith raised a few eyebrows and smiles by going for a walk through the crowd a couple of times whilst singing and really surprised a section up in the gods when he and Will Farquarson turned up in the arena side of a top tier vomitarium to sing one of their tracks.

The only thing about Bastille is that I can't get the Telletubbies out of my head when they are singing Pompeii.....

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #816 on: 04 November, 2016, 09:26:26 pm »
Joanne Shaw Taylor at the Brook, Southampton.  The first lady of British Blues never disappoints, the most impressive bit was how good her new stuff sounds against her older material.  The only disappointment was her not playing her amazing cover of Summertime - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z_SU0rzc3w - but she's getting better and better.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #817 on: 05 November, 2016, 12:18:54 am »
Good-o!  My grate frend Mr Woolrich and I are seeing her some time in the New Year, having already done so when she supported Wilko Johnson a few months ago.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #818 on: 11 November, 2016, 11:21:21 am »
Last night myself, Mrs T, plus two friends went to Leeds Town and Country to see Nathaniel Rateliffe and The Night Sweats.

First up was Ed Harcourt.  His song subject matter is not to my taste (all middle age angst etc), but his musical ability is undoubtable.  Imagine, if you can Ed Allayn Johnson (sp?) using his overdub technique, but one multiple instruments (drums/other percussion, guitar (with a couple of strings downtuned to act as a bass line), keyboards and vocals).  A really interesting act to watch.

Next up came the main act, both myself and Mrs T had seen them in the polar opposite type of venue, back in August (Red Rock Ampitheatre in Colorado) and knew they can kick up a go party.  They didn't disappoint last night.  The room started out quite restrained, with no one dancing and no feedback to the band.  As the songs went on, though, everyone got into the groove, the lead of the band worked the audience really well and, as the band hit the climax of their set (S.O.B.), the crowd went nuts.

I would recommend seeing them to anyone who likes to see a band that can play songs well, interacts with the crowd and gets a party going.

On a side note, the ignorant fuckers that were stood behind us, if you wanted to have a fucking conversation piss off home and have it.  If you want to go and see a band, at least do them the honor of facing the fucking stage whilst they are playing.  You may not have known what to expect, or you may not have wanted to listen to all the songs (yes, even the slow, quiet one), but we fucking well did and you were going all out to try and spoil the evening for us, you fucking bunch of divs.  Our friend, Craggsy, who is one of the most laid back people I know (and a drummer, but we don't hold that against him! :) ) was angry, and that is the first time, in 16 years, that I have seen him get angry!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #819 on: 11 November, 2016, 11:39:43 pm »
Enjoyed the Aus pink Floyd tonight at the Hydro arena in glasgow. Great fun but the lead.singers voice isn't very good imho and the other singer was.going off a bit towards the end of the gig.   Too many guys of my age going back and forth to the bars and.toilets constantly through the evening.  Didn't take away from a rrally good gig though

« Reply #820 on: 14 November, 2016, 10:52:12 pm »
Black mountain tonight. Small venue great atmosphere and some really great tracks. Some filler.though and a bit loud. Probably just.me though. 

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #821 on: 14 November, 2016, 11:48:31 pm »
Low Anthem at the O2, Oxford.

Probably the most challenging gig I've been to. Moving from Eno/ Budd-esque ambient sounds to self indulgent thrash via some beautiful pastoral sounds it was varied to say the least!

If you're expecting the tranquil sounds of "Charlie Darwin" you'll be disappointed but they've evolved from there and it had some incredible moments. Still trying to work out whether I enjoyed it or not....

« Reply #822 on: 15 November, 2016, 12:20:23 am »
Low Anthem at the O2, Oxford.

Probably the most challenging gig I've been to. Moving from Eno/ Budd-esque ambient sounds to self indulgent thrash via some beautiful pastoral sounds it was varied to say the least!

If you're expecting the tranquil sounds of "Charlie Darwin" you'll be disappointed but they've evolved from there and it had some incredible moments. Still trying to work out whether I enjoyed it or not....

We saw them at Gorilla in Manchester and I thought it was fantastic. They've gone psych rock! I did nearly corpse when the drummer was waving a bag of shells at us, though.

They just about clung to the right side of the playful/pretentious line, I thought. I'm tempted to go and see them again in Leeds on Sunday.

« Reply #823 on: 15 November, 2016, 01:32:07 am »
Don't.  The trains will be full of the Toon Army on its way home.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #824 on: 15 November, 2016, 11:13:55 am »
Black mountain tonight.

Is that the USAnian Canuckistani stoners or some other outfit with the same moniker?  I rather like the former, and then they went all quiet (in an inactivity kind of way)