Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3882115 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24025 on: 25 October, 2020, 09:19:54 pm »
A short ride to Cookham via ncn50 with bjorn notp stopping at Costa for coffee  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #24026 on: 26 October, 2020, 06:49:13 am »
Out yesterday for a beautiful autumnal ride. Managed to dodge the rain and route was planned to be into wind on way out so a much easier ride home.

Weather was definitely cooling so went out looking like I was up for a spring classic with knee and arm warmers and an gillet

Notable occurrences were helping to guide a ban of I reckon 6'2" through a 6'6" width restriction. Thought we had better help as the road was starting to back up and he didn't look very confident.

Also the horse riders who decided not to wait 10 seconds for the two guys on bikes to pass before trotting out onto the road we were descending. I actually spotted the second rider who had a hi viz in first, started to slow then spotted the ninja dark horse dark rider already on the road. Being good and considerate cyclists we held back till they were out the
 road

Generally though a lovely ride through some small quiet lanes even if they were a tad muddy in places

Only downside is the guy I ride with who I got into riding and works shifts and doesn't have kids has been cycling a lot so know has the legs on me.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24027 on: 26 October, 2020, 08:30:27 am »
Short ride yesterday, mainly to pick up some bread.  Wasn't feeling right, maybe because my usual warm-up route round the village is blocked by road works, so I was into a stiff climb after 5 minutes. Also, legs were stiff from unusual exercise on Saturday, some perversion called "walking". Anyway, I was back home in just 28 km, and knackered into the bargain.

Hamstrings still hurt this morning. The bread was rubbish, too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #24028 on: 26 October, 2020, 10:55:58 am »
8.5 miles this am before work. I've decided to reinstate a bike commute, even though I work from home now. Lovely ride, actually. Hard because of my time off, but rewarding.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #24029 on: 28 October, 2020, 05:15:37 pm »
Had a great ride today, just into town on the town bike.  Nice dry weather, a bit blustery from the South.

First I cycled into York centre and saw that it was a seething mass of half-term visitors.  You would not believe there was a pandemic on. 

So I aborted my mission and switched to plan B which meant carrying on out of York to a less busy supermarket where I took on supplies, including a cut price litre of Southern Comfort form Mrs A, Milk, fruit, etc and a bottle of Cahors that I like.  Being unable to find some glue I needed I headed on out to B&Q where I texted Mrs A lest she think me overdue.  Encouraged by her response 'You Must Be Mad' I proceeded to complete my mission by purchasing said glue and turning for Home via the University.

At the Uni an entire brightly coloured peloton emerged 300m ahead. Surprisingly I was shortening their lead despite a slight uphill grade and having considerably more shopping than they did.  I caught them just as they reached the Fulford Road where they went left and I headed for Millennium Bridge where I met up with them again and followed at a distance until the Racecourse where they headed for the Tadcaster Road.  Very likely novices under supervision.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #24030 on: 30 October, 2020, 08:41:22 am »
Dear wind. Please piss off.

Another dark and windy one last night. Dragged a few more out and we all dragged into the wind with the plan of headwind out tail wind home. That didn't happen as seemed to be headwind both ways.

Roads were quiet and a Tesla driver reversed quite a way down a country lane to a place we could safely pass which was nice

Other then that my usual waxing lyrical about dynamo lights as I lent someone my back up battery LED rear light as his died shortly after we had stopped for him to change batteries on his front, will let him off that as he knew was low so replacement was already mounted so only a quick plug unplug.

We also had some glow sticks for fun as well its dark and there isn't much fun at the moment.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #24031 on: 31 October, 2020, 10:46:37 am »
Just off to bikepack Wessex Ridgeway.

This could be a bit of moist break  ::-)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Paul

« Reply #24032 on: 31 October, 2020, 11:19:46 am »
Just heard that restrictions might put the kibosh on the cafe stop tomorrow. Flask of hot chocolate and cake in the saddlebag it is then! I might strap a brolly to the crossbar too...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24033 on: 31 October, 2020, 01:56:31 pm »
First lockdown ride under the "1 hour within 1 km of home" rule: 18.6 km with 186 metres of climbing, which ain't bad if you consider that I had to slow for the same half-dozen intersections about 40 times and disentangle myself from the clutches of Jean-Claude, the limpet-like village depressive who likes nothing better than to share his despondency.  I finally got away by pleading a slow puncture that I hadn't got time to fix.*  I managed 52 minutes out of the hour all the same.  If I do this every day for the next month I just might get (a) fit or (b) dead, delete as appropriate.

* excellent excuse which I'm putting into the public domain, so feel free to use it.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #24034 on: 31 October, 2020, 08:24:06 pm »
Planned a 100 mile hilly route to our static caravan in Selsey.  It was epic, water everywhere, leaves stones and twigs lurking round every bend.  But great to get out and will be able to drain down the caravan tomorrow in case there are frosts over the month of lockdown.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Chris S

« Reply #24035 on: 01 November, 2020, 09:29:46 pm »
Today, we drove (*checks van odometer - dammit, it's reset*) a long way, in order to ride our mountain bikes 18km.

There was bridge action:

and a dog in a onesie

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #24036 on: 02 November, 2020, 12:33:09 am »
Just off to bikepack Wessex Ridgeway.

This could be a bit of moist break  ::-)

Bailed after day two...

It was wet.
Wet chalk surfaces are like ice; came off.
4x4's had created channels > 1' deep in places - shootings's too good for them.
It was wet and windy
Struggling to make 8Km p/h against the headwinds from SW
"And will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountainscyclists of the earth?" - Yes, blown off twice on the Imber Path. ::-)
It was windy and wet

At that point I decided it was Type III fun, dropped off the high ridge, and hightailed it home.

Might try it again next year.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24037 on: 02 November, 2020, 01:26:30 pm »

I feel your pain.  Well done for sticking it out as long as you did.

Meanwhile, I haz dun another state-enforced 1k/1-hour time-trial, managing to get 57½ minutes on the bike this time and do 22.2 km/145m at a respectable lick, back and forth between two points ~2.5 km apart on the same 2 roads N times, with a bit of a hill at each end. Rather more fun than doing random loops around the village: more of a challenge. Only ointmental fly was the wind, which was great going one way but 'orrible going the other. And of course I finished with ~800 metres straight into it, arriving at T42 Manor with heart beating at around 110% of what the cardiologist says it should.

Pigged out on pasta for lunch and am now pleasantly drowsy.  Wake me when it's over.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24038 on: 02 November, 2020, 07:15:38 pm »
4x4's had created channels > 1' deep in places - shootings's too good for them.
Yes.
Next year's going to be another year and a better one.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24039 on: 02 November, 2020, 07:17:29 pm »
and a dog in a onesie

Umm. Errmm. Some dog owners are odd.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24040 on: 02 November, 2020, 07:21:24 pm »
Trundled the Brommie down to the office to pick up the work car prior to some site supervision over the next couple of days.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #24041 on: 02 November, 2020, 09:53:28 pm »
Yes a one way DIY 200km to Kings Lynn to take advantage of that stonking sw / ssw wind. Arrived before sunset then watched sunset over Great Ouse before catching a near empty train home. That’s November RRTY ride done.

Paul

« Reply #24042 on: 02 November, 2020, 10:51:11 pm »
30 or so miles with the CTC yesterday. A fabulous route taking in a lot of the old, Long Eaton based Derbyshire Pie Run routes but also much that was new to me.
Really good to get out with some folk especially on an otherwise solo weekend.
We somehow avoided almost all the rain.
Nice.

« Reply #24043 on: 04 November, 2020, 02:37:01 pm »
My first day off under furlough having worked through the whole of lockdown MK1 decided to split days with my team

Cold start although was colder on the school run but a rare sunny and pretty wind free day. Absolutely loads of other bikes out including a few groups I'm guessing we're making the most of the last day being allowed for a while

Seemed to be an inordinate amount of roads works and traffic lights on smaller roads but I thinks that's because they're building lots of houses in these villages so more utilities needed.

« Reply #24044 on: 04 November, 2020, 06:42:55 pm »
Windsor, Cookham, Marlow and back with bjorn notp. Sunny and windless, a good day for a potter 🙂
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #24045 on: 04 November, 2020, 08:34:32 pm »
Local 27 mile loop in afternoon finishing a bit before sunset. Too nice a day not to get a ride in.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #24046 on: 04 November, 2020, 08:38:30 pm »
A 29 mile loop around SuA on the PlanetX - glorious, totally blue sky - and I wore shorts!    No cafe stop, the only one I passed had 10 people waiting outside.   Back home for a cooked lunch .... 2 slices of toast  :thumbsup:

« Reply #24047 on: 05 November, 2020, 07:37:47 pm »
Took the tourer into York after its refit. Some adjustments to the limit screws on the front mech and one chain ring bolt needed a tighten.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #24048 on: 06 November, 2020, 09:16:22 am »
I’ve been riding solo since the first start of Coronavirus. I went out yesterday morning into the lanes. Along one lane a voice behind me said “ Coming through, socially distanced, nice day”. He waited for a slightly wider stretch, we smiled at each other, and I slowed up to give him 50 metres or so.
A good experience. It demonstrates how easy it is to stay safe, but still spread a little goodwill.

« Reply #24049 on: 06 November, 2020, 09:41:54 am »
 :)