Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3900312 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24000 on: 18 October, 2020, 03:10:10 pm »
Usual cafe run.  Cool but windless and very nice.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24001 on: 18 October, 2020, 06:03:54 pm »
It's the official start of steamed-up glasses weather.

Have you been out today?
« Reply #24002 on: 18 October, 2020, 07:18:31 pm »
I seem to have had a month off the bike, but got my long bottoms on and went for a ride today. Autumn was starting to touch the trees and I found some lovely quiet wooded lanes. (Blackboys, Fairwarp, Chelwood Gate, Piltdown.)

On the downside, I clearly hadn’t got all the footpath avoiding done when I was planning this - and found myself with several changes of plan to work out at the roadside.
68km and 1140m of climb, a bit slow and feeling it now.

« Reply #24003 on: 18 October, 2020, 08:14:08 pm »
44 miles today with bjorn notp. Windsor, bray, maidenhead Riverside, Cookham, Bourne end, coles Hill, Beaconsfield, gerards Cross and back. No wind noticeable and overcast all day but pleasent enough. Autumn colours are nice to see  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #24004 on: 18 October, 2020, 10:28:43 pm »
The blue route at Hicks Lodge with the boys yesterday. It’s a lovely little mtb route. Not very technical unless you try to take it fast. An opportunity for someone COR though because Louis had my mtb, so I was on a ‘63 Freddie Grubb! I kept it upright and going the right way nearly all the time!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #24005 on: 18 October, 2020, 11:01:55 pm »
It's the official start of steamed-up glasses weather.
It's the official start of standing at the front door of the office building waiting for glasses to unsteam just so a corridor can be safely traversed season tomorrow.

I've never suffered from steamed up glasses until now.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #24006 on: 19 October, 2020, 08:05:06 am »
Since lockdown started I've ridden my bike maybe 4 times. Four times in 7 months.

Sat I needed to get out and exercise (besides, the doctor has ordered it). Very tired of trudging up and down the same bit of river in kayak. It isn't any fun when I'm too unfit to go fast.

So I decided to go for a bike ride, pick some unfamiliar lanes. Intended to head out for about 1.5hours or so.

Hmm, maybe following a map would have been a good idea from the start. 2.5hours and something like 65km later I got home. Bit lacking in energy since I hadn't eaten for hours.

That's the furthest I've ridden in a very long time. Pathetic, considering I used to ride 80km a day, just commuting.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #24007 on: 20 October, 2020, 07:53:35 am »
I feel your pain on the distance, MrC, though I’d regard your pace as fast - to the point of suspecting I’d somehow paused time but not distance on the computer for an hour or so!

« Reply #24008 on: 20 October, 2020, 09:23:58 pm »
First proper run in a while this afternoon; a 50km loop, with some bridleway-bashing and hike-a-bike in there as well. Illusions of having really good legs today were shattered when I made the turn and realised that I was now crawling into a headwind. I needed to get back for school pickup, but after 45 minutes of headwind I was flagging a bit, so stopped for a quick coffee and a cake before the last 15km home. Warmer than I'd expected, and managed to dodge most of the weather as well.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24009 on: 22 October, 2020, 01:49:16 pm »
Yesterday, a satisfying 101 km with a fair bit of climbing. No wind to speak of and a few nice long downhill stretches with good views to enjoy. Lunch in favourite coffee shop. Had a hitch-hiking ladybird for company on the way home; got quite fond of her(?) and even started calling her Amandine (she was sorta marzipan colour) but a fast downhill ended our relationship (sniff).

Knackered today. Bloody hell, I had expected to be doing 200k trots by now. I blame the Chinese.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24010 on: 22 October, 2020, 03:26:48 pm »
Rolled round 60-odd klicks with a garden centre coffee stop for coffeeneuring purposes.
https://chasingmailboxes.com/2020/09/27/coffeeneuring-challenge-2020-one-good-thing/

Returned home to being asked to work on site on Sunday. I was going to be riding a perm then, so shifting the ride to accommodate work is kind of like the brick in the boxer’s glove. It just makes it a little harder.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #24011 on: 22 October, 2020, 06:07:41 pm »
44 km and more than half on minor roads on top of a Roman road.
Found two Jacobean farmhouses, an Autumnal view that I'd never seen before, two dead rabbits and a live squirrel, two robins, three V's of Canada geese, an autogyro, and a kestrel hunting the unplowed margins.
Rooks were raucously falling out with each other on freshly plowed fields, one common mallow livening up a verge and a berk in a Jaguar who overtook me with three feet to spare and then swung in front of me to turn left across me.
Wore my new Nenk thermal lined trousers and wished it had stayed cold!
Fuel consumed: a coconut milk latte and a pain au chocolate at a favourite spot of my dog who died two days ago, and a Snickers bar near home. I've taken to carrying a 5 or 600ml bidon filled with half and half water and fresh orange juice. Good way of getting carbs for a diabetic I've read.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #24012 on: 23 October, 2020, 07:01:27 am »
Another dark one last night. Our Thursday night group has dwindled from the summer and at no risk of getting to the rule of six. Thankfully one of the guys is set to ride on Thursdays unless icy and joined by one of my other mates

40km with a bit of town chucked in for a change and a navigational redirection through a housing estate on a cycle path which was notable for the fact everyone seemed to be smoking weed. At several of the road crossings where cyclist dismount signs and the twat dominoes driver who had parked in front of one of the dropped kerbs for the cycle lane

Heading home hear loads of sirens but thought they were on a parallel road as we were going through a small village. When a car came through being driven like an idiot on the run flew past us the other way to our travel we decided to get off the road and several police cars came through in pursuit. Did have to point one that was playing catch up the direction to go as we got to the next junction

Excitement over we carried on home dropped one guy off and the last few miles home down dancing dicks Road (yes really) which was full of cars in the farm track entrances. This would probably explain why as we got into town a police car was heading out down the country lanes

Last bit of excitement was the corner where we met the police being very slippy so my back wheel attempt to overtake the front as I slowed for the police car could have been embarrassing but caught it and cycled on

« Reply #24013 on: 23 October, 2020, 09:54:58 am »
Another dark one last night. Our Thursday night group has dwindled from the summer and at no risk of getting to the rule of six. Thankfully one of the guys is set to ride on Thursdays unless icy and joined by one of my other mates

40km with a bit of town chucked in for a change and a navigational redirection through a housing estate on a cycle path which was notable for the fact everyone seemed to be smoking weed. At several of the road crossings where cyclist dismount signs and the twat dominoes driver who had parked in front of one of the dropped kerbs for the cycle lane

Heading home hear loads of sirens but thought they were on a parallel road as we were going through a small village. When a car came through being driven like an idiot on the run flew past us the other way to our travel we decided to get off the road and several police cars came through in pursuit. Did have to point one that was playing catch up the direction to go as we got to the next junction

Excitement over we carried on home dropped one guy off and the last few miles home down dancing dicks Road (yes really) which was full of cars in the farm track entrances. This would probably explain why as we got into town a police car was heading out down the country lanes

Last bit of excitement was the corner where we met the police being very slippy so my back wheel attempt to overtake the front as I slowed for the police car could have been embarrassing but caught it and cycled on
Do you think they might take exception to your having that view of them ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24014 on: 23 October, 2020, 11:18:35 am »
Ah that sentence of mine probably belongs in one of those books about punctuation. For the record the road was slippy not the rozzers who I have the utmost respect for and was accepted to join them before the financial crisis and budget cuts but that's another story.

« Reply #24015 on: 23 October, 2020, 11:23:41 am »
Sorry, I should have slipped a smiley in there.  Too good an opportunity to miss. :-)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24016 on: 23 October, 2020, 01:52:30 pm »
Ah no hatler I took it in the humerous way it was intended.

« Reply #24017 on: 23 October, 2020, 07:36:10 pm »
A gentle potter in Windsor Park with bjorn notp of around 14 miles   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24018 on: 24 October, 2020, 03:55:28 pm »
I went for a gentle spin today and for a crepe in the Forest.
Is that like the thing that bears do in the woods?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24019 on: 24 October, 2020, 04:00:16 pm »
Out with the Czeating Czech for a spin southwards-ish.  Stopped at Petworth to see the memorial to 28 people killed when the school got bombed during WW2.  Mass grave, quite harrowing.

Goodish weather turning to drizzle, one bit of navigational mistakery, a couple a rubbish overtakes by impatient twats.  Found a nice cafe in Storrington for coffee and a bacon sandwich. The wind had picked up by then but both it and we were heading north, so just span along.  A rude hill near the end as we approached the 'Sham then into the Sex Oak for a pint and a packet of crisps. 90km.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #24020 on: 24 October, 2020, 08:23:12 pm »
Picked up the Shiny bike from Evans service department and tested All The Gears.
Got Quite Wet and massively earwormed- it's a long way to the top, if you want to rock and roll (in Burnhope).
Punishment pass on the 693 so I fought my way round the stupid wiggles on the bike path instead.
Tested the brakes mightily down Longclose Bank and then mud was the order of the day all the way home on the lines. Realised I hadn't actually eaten so stopped at the Farm Shop cafe for hot chocolate. She asked if I wanted it plain, what the heck? Crazy talk- I wanted ALL THE THINGS.

« Reply #24021 on: 25 October, 2020, 04:33:54 pm »
Good day out on the muni - 40km of local trails.  I'd forgotten how shit some of the local stuff is when wet, so some of it was too slippery to ride safely and one bit had so much clay that the wheel clagged up and had to be dragged behind me.

I am now lying on the sofa trying to relax my muscles, but keep finding they have tensed up again after five minutes not thinking about it.  Bit weird, but still better than trying to walk.

Pics on strava, coz my image hosting seems problematic:
Family's away, time for a play 😁

« Reply #24022 on: 25 October, 2020, 05:00:05 pm »
A gentle 20 miles around the lanes of leafy Bucks. Last time out in shoes and bib-knickers I think. Boots would have prevented me getting wet feet 10 minutes in, having to traverse 15m of 3” deep water (the council have helpfully installed new impervious kerbs both sides, preventing drainage) but the toe covers kept a lot out. And at some point I clipped some dying vegetation with my left shin. Still, enjoyable enough, cold damp toes apart. Now the clocks have gone back it’ll be Friday afternoon before I’ll venture out again, weather permitting. Time to dig out the longs, and the “silk” glove inners.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #24023 on: 25 October, 2020, 05:48:28 pm »
About 25 miles (in shorts) into what seemed to be a perpetual headwind - time to change to the winter road-bike methinks.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #24024 on: 25 October, 2020, 06:24:02 pm »
Lovely autumn morning in W.Yorks. Sunshine, fresh breeze, swirling leaves. Out for just over an hour before my dicky neck began to play up, but well worth it.

Lumpy route - nearly 300m of climbing - and the HRM readout suggested spikes up to the high 170s. I don't think so - that would put me well beyond the red zone these days!