Author Topic: We are in Deckard's time  (Read 1865 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
We are in Deckard's time
« on: 31 October, 2019, 11:58:51 pm »
Blade Runner was set in November 2019. How do I get off-world?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-01/blade-runner-is-set-today-the-future-is-now/11504502
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: We are in Deckard's time
« Reply #1 on: 01 November, 2019, 07:31:38 am »
Blade Runner was set in November 2019. How do I get off-world?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-01/blade-runner-is-set-today-the-future-is-now/11504502

Personally I’d borrow Marty McFly’s hoverboard...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 01 November, 2019, 07:59:29 am »
I'd listen to Prince.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 01 November, 2019, 09:11:44 am »
I've lived through 1984 and 2001.  I shall survive.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2019, 02:57:19 pm »
I've lived through 1984 and 2001.  I shall survive.
That's not Prince, that's Gloria Gaynor!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #5 on: 01 November, 2019, 03:48:10 pm »
Actually we're all f**ked.

I just checked out 2019 in the Hollywood timeline and discovered two key things.

1.  The human race is now 99% vampires. 
2.  Caesar just gave ALZ-113 to the apes and they've all gone super-intelligent.

It's coming folks.  And we're 18 years past the point where Bill and Ted used the world's nuclear arsenal to fuel their amplifiers.... and no sign of world peace yet...
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 01 November, 2019, 04:15:29 pm »
I'm going to party like it's 1999, once I find that jacket with the rolled-up sleeves that I thought made it look like I'd strode confidently from an episode of Miami Vice though with hindsight shouted that I had stumbled out of a branch of Burtons with a bag of bad purchasing decisions.

Oh shit, that was 1989.

In 1999 we all lived on the Moon. And for heaven's sake, no one kick that nuclear waste.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #7 on: 04 November, 2019, 07:18:17 pm »
I always loved how gravity changed in Space 1999 when they left the moonbase and went outside.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 04 November, 2019, 08:42:53 pm »
Who DIDNT go to work on a jet-pack today?

I find mine helps keep the bike clean for weekends  8)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ian

« Reply #9 on: 04 November, 2019, 08:54:04 pm »
Through a navigational mishap on Saturday, we stumbled into Upper Edmonton and the Meridian Water development and the lines of squabbling cars trying to beep their way into Ikea. In the squalling rain, fumes, and twilight, honestly, it was more dystopian than Blade Runner ever was.

« Reply #10 on: 05 November, 2019, 08:31:26 am »
I'm looking forward to the Year 3000 (when my great-great-great-granddaughters will hopefully be pretty dead, not pretty fine).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 05 November, 2019, 12:28:20 pm »
Through a navigational mishap on Saturday, we stumbled into Upper Edmonton and the Meridian Water development and the lines of squabbling cars trying to beep their way into Ikea. In the squalling rain, fumes, and twilight, honestly, it was more dystopian than Blade Runner ever was.

You should have said.  I'd have popped over to help you point and laugh.

<== always goes to the Happy Swedish Halls Of Joy on a weekday :smug:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #12 on: 05 November, 2019, 12:52:29 pm »
Went to a screening on the 2nd (shame they didn't do it on the 1st) in the somewhat derelict Abbeydale Picturehouse

https://www.theabbeydalepicturehouse.com/

Felt very Bradbury Building.

ian

« Reply #13 on: 05 November, 2019, 10:01:04 pm »

The mistake wasn't really ours, we were following the route of Pymmes Brook Trail, which in olden times took you on an adventure to Edmonton Green. But shiny new signs have appeared, so new they have yet to be misleadingly twisted by wayward local youth, guiding the unwary traveller away from the route inked on the trusty OS map to a sparkly new route.

Which would have been nice had the signs not run out at the edge of Meridian Water development. There's is a new train station (who knew, apparently no one as it was empty) and the Tesco had cake and, more importantly, didn't have cold, trouser-soaking rain. Drivers were still fighting outside when we left. I suspect it never, ever stops.

It was enough sustenance to get us the final league to Pressure Drop.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 05 November, 2019, 10:34:08 pm »

The mistake wasn't really ours, we were following the route of Pymmes Brook Trail, which in olden times took you on an adventure to Edmonton Green. But shiny new signs have appeared, so new they have yet to be misleadingly twisted by wayward local youth, guiding the unwary traveller away from the route inked on the trusty OS map to a sparkly new route.

Which would have been nice had the signs not run out at the edge of Meridian Water development. There's is a new train station (who knew, apparently no one as it was empty) and the Tesco had cake and, more importantly, didn't have cold, trouser-soaking rain. Drivers were still fighting outside when we left. I suspect it never, ever stops.

It was enough sustenance to get us the final league to Pressure Drop.
Was Toots there? Did he contrast the dystopia or blend right in?