Author Topic: Warframe  (Read 1095 times)

Chris S

Warframe
« on: 03 June, 2019, 11:05:49 pm »
Any other players want to own up here?

For those who don't know, Warframe is a seemingly very popular online video game for PC, and Consoles (PS4, XBox, Switch).

I've been playing it on PS4 for a couple of months now. I'm a big fan - even though I'm rubbish, and blame my rubbishness on being about 45 years older than the typical demographic for this game; by the time I've worked out what's going on - the opposition have killed me, and moved on.

I like the production ethics of the company that produces it - Digital Extremes. They very nearly went bust in the early 2000s, but had the balls to stick by their one product (that in itself is usually coined economic suicide) that had evolved from a failed product pitch to others. Slowly but surely, they gained traction in a dark and sordid corner of video gaming; namely Free to Play.

Yes. You can download, and progress through this game pretty much to end-game status (allegedly around 400 hours of gameplay) totally free. Pretty much the only thing you HAVE to pay for are in-game cosmetics, and there are a lot of these, and players love them.

You can look up DE online - they make a mint - providing a game that's free if you want to invest the time into its many grindy game-plays, or costs ££ only if you want an accelerated experience, or want to play "FashionFrame". Yes. That's a thing too. Dressing up online game characters. DE make a fortune from this.

I like the company, I like what they do, and I (mostly) like their game. I've been fucking about with computers since 1981, and still a company can pop up and make me see commercial IT in a new light.

ETA: TLDR; - It's a free to play third person shooter/looter that's made by a bunch of Canadians who can't say "out" properly, but make tons of $$$ from dressing up game characters.

Re: Warframe
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2019, 08:14:38 am »
I haven't played for a fair while but now our broadband is better (went from 7 to 70 Mbps for less money) I may have a go downloading the many gigs of updates it'll no doubt need.

It is rather good fun even if I'm not very good at it.

I'm currently playing the original Command & Conquer though as yesterday I bought the 17 game bundle for a fiver.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2019, 08:17:30 am »
I haven't played for a fair while but now our broadband is better (went from 7 to 70 Mbps for less money) I may have a go downloading the many gigs of updates it'll no doubt need.

It is rather good fun even if I'm not very good at it.

I'm currently playing the original Command & Conquer though as yesterday I bought the 17 game bundle for a fiver.

running on Win 10? From where? I've been hankering after those for years
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2019, 04:27:04 pm »
Cdkeys.com ultimate edition I think. Windows 8.1 though - unsure if works on 10

« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2019, 04:34:05 pm »
Also available on Amazon for a tenner but you have to wait for a hard copy with them.

Not the same as The First Decade pack released a yonks ago.