Author Topic: gpx tracking error editing...  (Read 1051 times)

gpx tracking error editing...
« on: 16 February, 2014, 04:32:48 pm »
My phone threw a minor wobbly at one point in this pm's ride.  Got me wondering what would be the easiest way to edit out an error in the route.  The gpx data in notepad is a single block of text and so difficult to decipher, though of course possible with a lot of fiddling.  Are there any programs that will allow one to pin point a location graphically and then directly edit that bit?  Any other thoughts?

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: gpx tracking error editing...
« Reply #1 on: 16 February, 2014, 06:46:35 pm »
It's easy to delete individual trackpoints in good old Mapsource.   You can simply choose an 'eraser' tool and click on the point close to the O of Oxford, in that image, and the rest would more or less come right.

Some may have missed this because in the default Mapsource install, the track editing tools are not visible in the toolbar.  They can be added to the toolbar in the usual way, or are available anyway under the 'Tools' dropdown menu.

Mapsource comes free with any Garmin map purchase, or can be obtained and installed free (with a bit of fiddling), for example using links and advice (in Dutch!) here: http://www.javawa.nl/anderstalig.html
I think you have to install Garmin Training Centre first, or something like that.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 16 February, 2014, 06:50:08 pm »
alternatively right click on the track on Mapsource select Properties and delete the wayward trackpoints (helped by the fact that the trackpoint in the window is denoted by a blue dote on the map)

I use this a lot when I forget to turn the thing off after a ride

« Reply #3 on: 16 February, 2014, 08:56:54 pm »
Thanks both.  I have successfully erased the wayward point, and saved.

« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2014, 06:41:14 am »
What caused the error?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2014, 10:12:18 am »
Metal garage canopy by the look of the map.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #6 on: 17 February, 2014, 10:48:25 am »
This is what is mounted on top of the garage roof these days...  :)

spitfire by ao, on Flickr

it was early in the ride, so perhaps there weren't that many satellites locked on too...