Author Topic: TDF 2024  (Read 14285 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: TDF 2024
« Reply #150 on: 09 July, 2024, 08:29:03 am »
I figure a winning tour rider should be a complete cyclist with good skills and excellent judgement, rather than just somebody with high power:weight. That means the race should ideally include fast descents, poor road surfaces and challenging weather conditions. If tough corners, fast descents and poor weather are excluded, you might as well put everybody on home trainers.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #151 on: 09 July, 2024, 09:37:18 am »
I think the gravel added a different feel to the way the leading players approached the day. Had that stage been on tarmac, it’s likely a breakaway would have been given far more leeway. The GC contenders tested each other constantly throughout the stage, probably hoping that their competitors would make a mistake on the gravel under pressure, and the final gap of 1:46 on a hard-driving breakaway shows how hard they were racing. I loved it, and I’d happily watch the whole thing again.

Same here,

if you just want smooth tarmac stages, does that mean you have to get rid of the cobbled classics as well.  To my mind it adds another layer of bike handling skills that you could clearly some more adept at than others.  Also showed the effect of gravel as you could see the speed drop from the usual 50+ into the high 30's / low 40's.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #152 on: 09 July, 2024, 03:31:24 pm »
Thinking back to the first editions of the Tour (no, I wasn't there, I just feel that way) the roads were all pretty much like the Chemins Blancs when they weren't worse, so I suppose there is some precedent even though you have to go back good way to find it. All the same, having had one comprehensive dose of road rash, I don't find such stages "fun" to watch - chance has too much of a part to play.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #153 on: 09 July, 2024, 04:02:01 pm »
I've quite got into it this year. With working shifts I've had opportunity to whack it on in background on quite a few  occasions or sit and just watch it just meandering along

« Reply #154 on: 09 July, 2024, 04:56:00 pm »
I rather enjoyed the gravel, though one rider interviewed at the start was talking about 28c tyres. Maybe the handling risks, and bunching leading to walking, would be reduced by having a big enough proportion of a stage on gravel to force the gear trade-off into something with better handling and lower gears? (Though I suppose that presents logistical challenges.)

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #155 on: 09 July, 2024, 05:21:16 pm »
Today was a bit of a snooze fest. 170km of tedium followed by 1km of interesting racing.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #156 on: 09 July, 2024, 07:20:53 pm »
If there’s been a bit more wind it would have fired it up hugely, and I guess that’s what the course designer was hoping for. Without the wind, it was tedious - as long flat stages often are. A good sprint from the main contenders - notably Cav failed to keep up with his lead out team who ended up looking back, shrugging, and pulling off. Methinks now he’s got his win he’s zoned out.

« Reply #157 on: 09 July, 2024, 07:47:22 pm »
I don't know if Mark Cavendish is "zoned out".  I do know he is 39, though. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #158 on: 09 July, 2024, 09:43:43 pm »
So is Mørkøv :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #159 on: 09 July, 2024, 10:09:04 pm »
Cav... something didn't go according to plan.  https://x.com/itvcycling/status/1810714065523626187
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #160 on: 09 July, 2024, 10:30:57 pm »
So is Mørkøv :demon:

Sure.  But that might tell a story, too, great though he is.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #161 on: 10 July, 2024, 05:41:27 am »
Today was a bit of a snooze fest. 170km of tedium followed by 1km of interesting racing.

Another rest day.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #162 on: 10 July, 2024, 02:48:28 pm »
Now they're racing...  ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #163 on: 10 July, 2024, 03:10:51 pm »
Astonishing stuff!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #164 on: 10 July, 2024, 03:25:23 pm »
Much more entertaining than yesterday.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #165 on: 10 July, 2024, 04:04:06 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Wonder if Mathieu vend des Poules has any stage win desires, or just do the lead out thing...

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #166 on: 10 July, 2024, 09:03:54 pm »
What're his plans for the Olympics?
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #167 on: 10 July, 2024, 10:49:22 pm »
As much as I don't want to see people crash, I feel it's crap that Roglič is saved by the 3 km rule. I understand why it's enforce for a sprint stage but this is a mountain day. He stacked it himself and shouldn't be saved just because it happened within the final 3 km.

That aside, great stage. Loved watching it pass through an area I have visited a few times and roads I've cycled. Jonas must be buzzing after that comeback and Pog must be wondering what he can do. Feels like Jonas has the momentum and yet he still needs to find time on Pog and Remco.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #168 on: 10 July, 2024, 11:46:26 pm »
After todays performance I don’t think Remco is an issue; it’s only a few seconds and Remco proved today that he’s not quite in the same league as Pog and Vin.

_All_ Pog has to do is stick to Vin like glue as I think it unlikely that Vin will make up a minute on the final TT.

However, we’ve got some juicy mountain stages to come and if today is indicative of their current form I don’t think Pog has it in him to say with Vin when he decides to go.

I think we’ve got some very interesting racing to come!

« Reply #169 on: 11 July, 2024, 07:55:55 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #170 on: 11 July, 2024, 08:23:42 pm »
As much as I don't want to see people crash, I feel it's crap that Roglič is saved by the 3 km rule. I understand why it's enforce for a sprint stage but this is a mountain day. He stacked it himself and shouldn't be saved just because it happened within the final 3 km.

That aside, great stage. Loved watching it pass through an area I have visited a few times and roads I've cycled. Jonas must be buzzing after that comeback and Pog must be wondering what he can do. Feels like Jonas has the momentum and yet he still needs to find time on Pog and Remco.

I gained the impression that the pundits thought the same. I think the comment from Pete Kennaugh was something along the lines of "Well, this is a bike race and it's pretty important that you actually stay on your bike."
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #171 on: 11 July, 2024, 08:53:27 pm »
(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #172 on: 11 July, 2024, 09:00:37 pm »
A few years back, Froome showed that you didn’t need a bike at all to finish a Tour de France stage, let alone to stay on it! He should have been DQed or severely penalised for finishing a stage without a bicycle but I am not bitter about it…
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

manyrivers

« Reply #173 on: 12 July, 2024, 07:01:43 am »
Cav's sprint misdemeanor was obvious enough for even me to see in real time. You're just not allowed to do that, and I get it. No damage done, so seems harsh maybe, but at those speeds you have to be responsible and think of others, not just 'go for it'. Bimi had the legs, no way was even Cav gonna haul him in. Some sprinter is that bloke in green.

« Reply #174 on: 12 July, 2024, 08:46:07 am »
It was a 'significant' lateral move, though apparently lead out riders aren't permitted to simply sit up and stop pedaling in bunch sprint.