Author Topic: Tennis Elbow how long to heal  (Read 1308 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Tennis Elbow how long to heal
« on: 03 June, 2024, 03:32:07 pm »
I have got tennis elbow again and its very painful.

I have looked up some youtube exercises and am wondering how long does it take to heal?

thanks

Re: Tennis Elbow how long to heal
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2024, 04:12:23 pm »
I have got tennis elbow again and its very painful.
I have looked up some youtube exercises and am wondering how long does it take to heal?
thanks
It all depends on how often you do the exercises. Several weeks, several months. :-\
I would be surprised if the people demonstrating their prefered exercises on the youtube
videos gave a timescale of how long it would take to heal. 

« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2024, 08:39:22 pm »
At first I rested and iced my TE. Which helped, but when I exercised again I thought the TE was getting worse. I spoke to a local physio who said that resting is not good, it needs to be worked. That was probably 6 mths ago and I can still feel pain with some exercises but it's bearable and I ignore it.

« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2024, 09:36:48 am »
All answers on tennis elbow are wrong (possibly including this one!)

First of all it is not an injury or an inflammation. 

Using the arm in different positions for lifting causes more pain so look for the least painful position. generally an underhand grip will be much less painful.

Generally TE lasts for 6-12 months with a small percentage lasting several years.

Steroid injections reduce pain but may increase the total time of suffering or may lead to a worse outcome.
Physiotherapy is no better than a single explanatory visit in high quality research

The main pain seems to be cramp in the muscles.  I did a YouTube video on how to stretch a couple of years ago.  It is very simple and of course nobody has watched it.  However I have taught this technique to patients for 30 years.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_REiHURaxU

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2024, 01:10:16 pm »
I watched your video Chris!  :)

I need to add it to my YouTube so I can find it again.

velosam

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2024, 02:47:31 pm »
thanks all, going to watch the video and do the exercises.
Cant find my snuff box though as its very subtle. great video

« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2024, 02:59:07 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_REiHURaxU
I've just tried the technique and have observed the stretch you mentioned. Let's see if this works
in the long-term for me.

Do you have a stretch for golfer's elbow?

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2024, 03:27:18 pm »
I have never seen enough golfers elbow to devise something, sorry.
Also do use a tennis elbow clasp. They help a lot.

« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2024, 07:17:48 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_REiHURaxU
I've just tried the technique and have observed the stretch you mentioned. Let's see if this works
in the long-term for me.

Do you have a stretch for golfer's elbow?
I may not have been clear.  This is a pain relieving stretch not a pain curing stretch.  It therefore needs to be repeated on a regular basis throughout the day and whilst the underlying problem sorts itself out.

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2024, 06:19:42 pm »
The acute pain from my tennis elbow went eventually by just avoiding all the activities that aggravate it, but even now, after 8 years, it still comes straight back again if I do anything it doesn't like. Carrying the bags home from Tesco is the usual one. I tried one of the straps you can get for your arm, but it fell off unless I tightened it enough to make my hand turn blue, I couldn't find any middle ground.

Lifting my rucksack with my palm facing down is what caused it in my left arm, followed 6 months later in my right arm when I was using a similar action whilst feeding cable under the floorboards.

Someone once told me she'd had good results from surgery after nothing else worked.

« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2024, 07:27:36 pm »
Im sorry you have this often very painful condition. From experience id say its almost impossible to give a timeframe for tennis elbow to heal.
Its usually an overuse injury caused by repetitive bending of the elbow joint whilst its under load.
I developed tennis elbow 25 years ago as a bricklayer in my late 30s. I was prescribed rest by my GP. I couldnt afford to completely rest so my boss agreed that i might not have to lay heavy (20kg) concrete blocks. This helped immensely and i was able to lay bricks albeit with a great deal of discomfort. Its never completely gone away, at 63 and running my own show im able to delegate the heavy side of my work to younger people. I would say dont rest too much but reduce the activity that caused your tennis elbow. Inactivity is one of the worst actions. Use Ralgex or similar,self massage the affected area gently.
Good luck for the future

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2024, 08:42:57 pm »
I'd like to be able to things like press ups (on my knees) again, but my elbow has never been the same since some daft work sports related improvement challenge event about 8 years ago. As soon as I try them again I can feel it. Clearly press ups are out for me.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2024, 09:07:47 pm »
My experience of tennis elbow was actually "chainsaw elbow" about 40 years ago - caused by standing on the roof of my Land Rover and cutting a lot of branches from trees above my head - the continued lifting/pulling the trigger on the saw was the issue the doctor spotted.

« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2024, 09:57:26 pm »
Very slow bicep curls with a heavy dumbell or kettlebell helped a boxer guy I know (his jabs
and 'big right hand' no longer hurt him when he dishes them out). They worked for me, then
I stopped. The elbow pain returned, so I'm back doing them again.

velosam

« Reply #14 on: 18 June, 2024, 10:05:26 am »
I am not sure what started it off.  I was not doing anything different from normal. Maybe my 'normal' was the issue!. I do find stretching useful and if I don't do some everyday the pain comes back.

thanks all

« Reply #15 on: 18 June, 2024, 11:02:48 am »
Whilst we all like to identify a cause for life events, the evidence associating tennis elbow with activity is very poor. Histological examination of the tissues does not show an "injury" pattern.  There seems in some people to be an abnormality of the blood vessels and blood supply in the area.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #16 on: 04 July, 2024, 05:26:01 pm »
Tennis Elbow is complicated as there can be a lot of different causes.  I was lucky to have access to a good physio, and a lot of the work that I did was on posture - more than strengthening the muscle to support the elbow - so that I was less likely to have future injuries.  She warned me that recovery times could be substantial - mine took 3 months.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #17 on: 04 July, 2024, 08:02:12 pm »
3 months is incredibly short time frame.

velosam

« Reply #18 on: 10 July, 2024, 02:54:24 pm »
I am not sure what started it off.  I was not doing anything different from normal. Maybe my 'normal' was the issue!. I do find stretching useful and if I don't do some everyday the pain comes back.

thanks all

I wonder if its to do with the exercises which I have been advised by the physio to sort out my shoulders, where I use weights etc