Author Topic: O2 age restrictions - WTF?  (Read 17380 times)

O2 age restrictions - WTF?
« on: 10 March, 2011, 02:24:40 pm »
Just tried to follow one of Charlotte's links (to a wallet, nothing dodgy) with my iPhone, and got redirected:

The site you tried to visit is restricted to over 18s.

To remove the customer protection block all you need to do is to confirm your age. You can do this by either calling our free automated service  61018 or continue to our  online service.

...and then it goes on about needing my MasterCard details! :o ???

Is this a scam, or is it genuine? Are O2 going to ask me to "verify" myself every time I look at various sites (it's a wallet, FFS!)? Are they going to charge me for this priviledge? Which other PAYG providers would people recommend instead for a smartphone-user who only uses texts and web?
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Re: O2 age restrictions - WTF?
« Reply #1 on: 10 March, 2011, 02:38:59 pm »
All mobile phone providers do this now.

I had it on Orange as well.

I didn't have to put credit card details in when I changed it on Orange, I had to ring them up. Maybe they're just using credit card details as a way to prove that you're over 18.

Welcome to the future of the internet, if the "Think of the Children" people get their own way.

« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2011, 02:42:37 pm »
I had it too the other day. Rang them up and they did a form on my behalf and it was fine after a couple of days. Didn't have to give any card details. Apparently, it's a glitch at their end.
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2011, 02:43:37 pm »
Just tried to follow one of Charlotte's links (to a wallet, nothing dodgy) with my iPhone, and got redirected:

The site you tried to visit is restricted to over 18s.

To remove the customer protection block all you need to do is to confirm your age. You can do this by either calling our free automated service  61018 or continue to our  online service.

...and then it goes on about needing my MasterCard details! :o ???

Is this a scam, or is it genuine? Are O2 going to ask me to "verify" myself every time I look at various sites (it's a wallet, FFS!)? Are they going to charge me for this priviledge? Which other PAYG providers would people recommend instead for a smartphone-user who only uses texts and web?
It's genuine - O2 boots up boobies blocker • The Register
However, the need to verify yourself is handled in O2's typically retarded way - at least with T-Mobile's blocked I was able to switch it off via their website (I'll decide what I do and do not see, thankyouverymuch) as they have enough sense to realise that if I'm on a contract and pay by direct debit then I'm over 18.

The site is probably blocked because of all that rubber ... phwoooar! :)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 10 March, 2011, 02:58:59 pm »
For O2 and Vodafone PAYG, you can go to their website and pay £1 on the credit card, then get £2.50 back as a topup. So you might as well do the verification, even if you're not bothered about the blocked websites.

« Reply #5 on: 10 March, 2011, 03:00:13 pm »
Great. So I'm allowed to look at knit-your-own-vagina patterns, but not at a shop that sells handbags.  :facepalm:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 10 March, 2011, 03:02:32 pm »
Basically, yes.

Crappy ISPs - in ur mobile, censoring ur boobies.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:24:58 am »
For O2 and Vodafone PAYG, you can go to their website and pay £1 on the credit card, then get £2.50 back as a topup. So you might as well do the verification, even if you're not bothered about the blocked websites.

You can try.  I have a Vodafone PAYG dongle which wouldn't let me into my own Flickr account and appeared to offer no way of verifying my age other than ringing the fuckers up at so many gettys a minute.  I bought the bloody thing over thing intertubes with a credit card, so they've already got my credit card details, but no.

I shall not be doing business with this shower of bastards again.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:33:47 am »
I had this with Orange the first time I tried to access YACF by phone.  "The site you are trying to access contains adult content" (Or something like that).  Sorted out with just a phone call.  This would have been about 2 years ago.  Perhaps they're stricter about prooving age now.

I still sometimes get blocked due to their system being a bit crap, a few re-tries sorts it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #9 on: 11 March, 2011, 12:04:39 pm »
All internet will be like this one day.

If they can do it for mobis then they'll do it for broadband.

And it's not about age checking as per their lies, it's about ID verification.

Lots of people want you to be ID'd when you use the web. The ISP because any customer info has value and the govt because they want to be able to know everything you read and see.

« Reply #10 on: 11 March, 2011, 12:19:54 pm »
I just think it's o2 being lazy and rather than check their records, they'll block everyone and then allow those that complete the requirements or ring up.
Also, there are some parents who have contracts on behalf of children so maybe it's to help protect against underage children going on adult sites too.

I wouldn't have minded but the site I was going on (the inner ring cycling blog) wasn't even an adult site!
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

« Reply #11 on: 13 March, 2011, 08:28:29 am »
I think Orange block just about all forums.
And the nanny ware at work blocks YACF for 'offensive content' (can't think why!  O:-))

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #12 on: 13 March, 2011, 05:45:20 pm »
What was the link that gave the message?  I've never had this come up on my iphone.

« Reply #13 on: 13 March, 2011, 08:19:56 pm »
What was the link that gave the message?  I've never had this come up on my iphone.

Shoulder Pocket Wallet - Wallets - Tactical Gear

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #14 on: 13 March, 2011, 09:29:46 pm »
Yeah - I get it too  >:(