Author Topic: Chinook stuck in the mud  (Read 8649 times)

Chinook stuck in the mud
« on: 13 January, 2021, 11:20:38 am »

Re: chinook stuck in the mud
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2021, 12:10:58 pm »

Better safe than sorry.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2021, 12:43:00 pm »
Have we had a thread on this yet?  Paging TimC

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19003988.raf-chinook-lifted-muddy-field-near-wantage/

Nothing to do with me! It's a bloody hicopleter. It can stay in the mud.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2021, 12:53:23 pm »
Maybe they put the rotors on upside-down  ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2021, 01:44:36 pm »
Given the power they have I would have thought that they could just take off from the bogged down situation?

I was reminded of another tale about a Chinook (from when my wife worked at an RAF charity) . . .   some sort of serviceman sustained a serious injury on a training exercise where a Chinook was in use - quick thinking . . . man loaded to the Chinook and flown to a major hospital - OK so far . ... BUT the Chinook touched down on a gravel car park and blasted* loads of cars with stones!  I understand that the crew only narrowly avoided a court martial.

* I've only every been close to or in very small helicopters and they kick up a lot of dust and debris - the Chinook must have been something else  ;D

TimC

« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2021, 01:51:13 pm »

* I've only every been close to or in very small helicopters and they kick up a lot of dust and debris - the Chinook must have been something else  ;D

You say that as though they're in the past. They very much are not! The RAF has about 75 of them, 16 new ones ordered in 2018. It'll be around for at least another 20 years. I've driven one as a guest; it's ok as bloody stupid aircraft go, but it's the noisiest thing short of a Saturn 5 and it takes forever to get anywhere.

« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2021, 01:55:46 pm »

Better safe than sorry.
Whoever has the job of applying the chocks runs the risk of being disciplined for not applying the chocks whatever the circumstances, and the consequences to him of doing something totally pointless are far less.

At least the men with the cranes would know where to find the chocks when they put the helicopter down on the temporary roadway.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2021, 04:25:24 pm »

You say that as though they're in the past. They very much are not! The RAF has about 75 of them, 16 new ones ordered in 2018. It'll be around for at least another 20 years. I've driven one as a guest; it's ok as bloody stupid aircraft go, but it's the noisiest thing short of a Saturn 5 and it takes forever to get anywhere.

. . .  ah, no - I meant that the "spectacle was something else"

AND I was down in Devon when one of the older helicoptor types was being retired (can't remember the name) - we watched 5 or 6 of them at low level flying in formation along the river from Bideford to Barnstaple on the way into Chivenor on a celebratory tour round the UK.

EDIT - it was the Sea Kings that were retiring

« Reply #8 on: 14 January, 2021, 07:48:34 am »
AFAIK, the chinook is still about the fastest military helicopter.  With choppers, bigger is better in every way.

I guess they couldn't take off because the pilot would be unable to tell if the helinopter was 'hovering' until the wheels came out of the mud; if he was wrong, there would be a fair chance of unscheduled rapid disassembly.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #9 on: 14 January, 2021, 07:55:48 am »
There has obviously been manoeuvres going on around here just recently as each evening we hear a "WHOOOSH" which goes on way longer than any jet would do (we are talking tens of minutes).

It was only when taking TLD to college the other day that I realised the noise is a brace of Chinooks.  Bloody hell they are noisy!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ElyDave

« Reply #10 on: 14 January, 2021, 08:14:52 am »
The only "helicopter" that I hear regularly around here that is noisier is the Osprey

tiermat

« Reply #11 on: 14 January, 2021, 08:24:31 am »
The only "helicopter" that I hear regularly around here that is noisier is the Osprey

Fortunately I think we have avoided them so far, though why when I live only 8 miles from the European Air Command Centre, I don't know!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #12 on: 14 January, 2021, 08:27:24 am »
May I ask where there are Ospreys in the UK?

Chinooks regularly take the route up the Thames in London. Fair shakes the windows.

tiermat

« Reply #13 on: 14 January, 2021, 08:31:39 am »

Chinooks regularly take the route up the Thames in London. Fair shakes the windows.

Uxbridge mainly

I believe Dave is in the flatlands which would make some kind of sense, airfield wise

« Reply #14 on: 14 January, 2021, 09:00:48 am »

Whoever has the job of applying the chocks runs the risk of being disciplined for not applying the chocks whatever the circumstances, and the consequences to him of doing something totally pointless are far less.
Perhaps the chocks were put down before the helicopter began to sink?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #15 on: 14 January, 2021, 09:11:45 am »

Perhaps the chocks were put down before the helicopter began to sink?

THat was my thought. I used to live a few miles from where it happened and those fields are regularly waterlogged so once they's landed it was probably a foregone conclusion.

ElyDave

« Reply #16 on: 14 January, 2021, 09:25:20 am »

Uxbridge mainly

I believe Dave is in the flatlands which would make some kind of sense, airfield wise

I'm within an hour's cycle of both Mildenhall and Lakenheath

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #17 on: 14 January, 2021, 09:26:15 am »

Weren't those quietly canned last year and money moved to upgrading the existing fleet?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

TimC

« Reply #18 on: 14 January, 2021, 10:03:41 am »

Uxbridge mainly

Uxbridge? The RAF station (never an airfield) closed in 2010. The 7th SOC Sqn at RAF Mildenhall, Suffolk is the only unit in UK that is home to the V-22. I'm not sure what the European Air Command Centre is, or why it should attract V-22s.

« Reply #19 on: 14 January, 2021, 10:15:07 am »
Given the power they have I would have thought that they could just take off from the bogged down situation?

Perhaps they were worried that, as it took off, it would drag the planet into a different orbit.

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #20 on: 14 January, 2021, 10:21:20 am »

Perhaps they were worried that, as it took off, it would drag the planet into a different orbit.
Or maybe it was judged to be insufficiently ugly that it wouldn't be repelled by the Earth in the usual manner of wokka flight.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21 on: 14 January, 2021, 10:38:55 am »

We used to get regular lunchtime visits from them flying down the Lea Valley, though I ent noticed them recently.  I think they were keeping an eye on Jurek.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

« Reply #22 on: 14 January, 2021, 10:42:10 am »
Chinooks are fairly regular visitors here at Wattisham. I had hoped I'd seen the last of them when I left the RAF in 1998, but no such luck. They make a change from the Apaches, which aren't as loud but are Even Fucking Slower, so they take all night to get from one side of my garden to the other.

« Reply #23 on: 14 January, 2021, 10:53:23 am »
plenty of "wockatter-wockatters" down here, near Benson...and I'd assume that's one of theirs, stuck at Wantage?

« Reply #24 on: 14 January, 2021, 10:54:43 am »
plenty of "wockatter-wockatters" down here, near Benson...and I'd assume that's one of theirs, stuck at Wantage?

in fact if I'd bothered reading the Mail before posting, I'd have seen that it was, yes indeed...