Author Topic: Mortons Neuroma  (Read 2211 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Mortons Neuroma
« on: 30 June, 2020, 03:58:10 pm »
I have this. It's a real nuisance.
I only discovered I had it after I bought the most expensive pair of boots as a 'you're worth it' gesture to myself. But they had a problem - a lump in the footbed on the left foot. I had a big discussion with the bootmaker who said the boots were just fine. I spent months trying to bash the lump out of the footbed. Even made a thermoplastic mould of my foot and wedged it in to compress the footbed.
Then I realised that I was finding my other shoes had the same problem. Duh.
It feels exactly like a lump in the shoe, or a folded sock under your foot. Becomes progressively more painful and like 'hotfoot'.
In the end you can't even wear the offending shoes.
Very pissed off - Trickers Burford boots were the best and now they sit on the shelf. Good shine though.
I don't think there is really a 'cure' - it's all part of the peripheral neuropathy of ageing badly.
In fact through it's relative as I have a rotation injury (type 3 sprained ankle) from 2 yrs ago that has never healed, swollen like a sock full of jelly, so I am walking stick material anyway these days.
Electric bikes arrived at just the right moment for me.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Re: Mortons Neuroma
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2020, 04:22:34 pm »
I have it too.

I increasingly think most people who have hotfoot do, too.

I don't think there is really a 'cure' - it's all part of the peripheral neuropathy of ageing badly.

My lovely foot & ankle guy at South Tees was very much of the opinion that this is not the case. There is a recognised pathway of care I have stepped into.

I have orthotics which make it worse by reducing the capacity of the toebox in my shoes. And had a steroid injection which made it better for about 6 months. The lump under the foot is only there when I have bursitis on the toe joint too.

I'm due for 'minimally invasive surgery' next, once non-covid activity resumes at UHND. My mum had it and has had the neuroma removed. My neuroma is secondary to me having Mortons Toe. That Morton, he was quite the foot guy.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2020, 04:40:29 pm »
Ex-MrsLWaB had Morton’s Neuroma and surgical interventions on both feet eventually solved the problem. Be careful which surgical procedure is selected as one foot had a procedure early on that made things worse, if anything. That was later corrected and the other foot was successfully done using the second procedure.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2020, 07:12:09 pm »
I've got it in my right foot, or so I am led to believe. I had some insoles modified to act sa a mil dorthotic for a while, which may have helped and am aware of the surgical pathways. I think I've been fortunate so far in that I can still walk and run and cycle, although when it first appeared I was very uncomfortable for a few weeks or months. It felt like I'd landed badly on a rock and damaged the bones in my foot - my initial diagnosis!

Sometimes now I find my right foot feels stiff and awkward when I start running or walking, but usually eases and is fine.

I would explore the more dramatic surgical options if it was worse of course.

You have my sympathy.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2020, 07:45:33 pm »
Some folk get relief from a metatarsal arch support/orthotic and very wide shoes.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2020, 08:19:48 am »
I mostly wear flip flops now with spongy soles and that does the trick. Hard soles are a problem, although I have now devised an insole with a patch shaved out and that seems to give a bit of relief.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2021, 12:53:10 pm »
I have it too.

I increasingly think most people who have hotfoot do, too.

My lovely foot & ankle guy at South Tees was very much of the opinion that this is not the case. There is a recognised pathway of care I have stepped into.

I have orthotics which make it worse by reducing the capacity of the toebox in my shoes. And had a steroid injection which made it better for about 6 months. The lump under the foot is only there when I have bursitis on the toe joint too.

I'm due for 'minimally invasive surgery' next, once non-covid activity resumes at UHND. My mum had it and has had the neuroma removed. My neuroma is secondary to me having Mortons Toe. That Morton, he was quite the foot guy.

The latest consultant is going for a neuroma excision. October time. Looking forward to it.

« Reply #7 on: 12 September, 2021, 09:31:01 pm »
I’ve still got mine. It’s a funny (odd!) thing. Effectively, I now have a wider right foot than hitherto, or at least need room for my forefoot to move around when I’m running or cycling etc. Otherwise numbness and pain after exercise results. Having said that, wider doesn’t have to be too extreme, but I have found the standard width Hoka running shoes are generally too narrow. Saucing and New Balance not so much.