Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105040 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #475 on: 23 March, 2016, 05:45:40 pm »
3B it is.  I'll have to give the organiser a telling off  ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #476 on: 23 March, 2016, 06:30:18 pm »
Best wishes and wrap up well --it was darn chilly out this way in Wales today and it`s just 6c now; grey, cold   and misty morning resulted in me postponing 1H ---after all as it`s on my very doorstep might as well choose a nice day

Safe riding Colin  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #477 on: 23 March, 2016, 11:18:30 pm »
3B it is.  I'll have to give the organiser a telling off  ;D
Howd you get on? 3b was one of my highlights of 2015 and told me not to take the cambrians lightly!
nam dan on fb

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #478 on: 25 March, 2016, 09:49:22 am »
Fuller write up to follow, although it may be Arrivee material.

Left Carmarthen, ATM at Lloyds Bank in Kings Road at 23:22 and had a wonderful moonlit stroll along the south side of the Twyi to Llandeilo.  Continued in good nick through Bethlehem and then veering away from the valley to pick up the mountain road through Twynallan and Talsarn to pick up the A40 at Trecastle.  Again, wonderful night riding but began to struggle with the dozies.  Put my head down for 5 minutes in a bus shelter and felt much more alert, which was good news as struck a cracked drain cover with such force that I had an instant snakebite on the rear.  That fixed, I discovered that the force had cracked the left rest of my tri-bars.  Lucky I didn't come off.  Arrived in Brecon and ATM receipt said 02:56.

Set off, remembering to turn at the Bulls Head (the sign to Upper Chapel is well hidden) and struggled along with the dozies in force. Stopped again for 5 minutes and felt a bit better, but still wrestling with sleep.  There were some exercises on the moors and my appearance surprised the group of officers sheltering from the wind at the Drovers' Arms.  Had a couple of nervous moments on the long descent towards Garth and began to wonder if it was safe to continue.  Was definitely not a happy bunny at Llanwrtyd Wells at 5am.  At one point I had seen a group of squaddies march along the road only to resolve themselves into fenceposts.

A couple of trucks hooning their way through Llanwrtyd did not encourage me.  Oddly, their presence gave me a bit of encouragement as with an external focus I was able to concentrate better.  My route through to Lampeter tookin Cynghordy, Cilycwm and Porthyrhyd before joining the A482.  It was archetypal Cambrian country, little lanes, hills that go on forever and now with the grey light of a day that knew it was going to rain.

There is a cafe in Lampeter that opens at 7am and with a pot of tea (I could have got a fourth cup out of it) and a full breakfast I felt great.  However, now the rain had started.  The road to New Quay was much hillier than it looked non the map, especially the fierce 16% out of Mydrollyn.  New Quay had the air of a seaside town shut until it stopped raining.  I had a pastry and a tea from a takeaway cafe, but honourably started from the quay and not the main road.  My receipt showed 9:46

The less said about the endless drag on the A486 into the wind the better.  Suffice to say I needed the cheese and ham toastie in Newcastle Emlyn.  There was a strong temptation to head straight back to Carmarthen but I resisted and started the long drag up to Boncath which is three big ascents not just one and through Eglwyswrw which was making up for the failure to achieve Britain's record as having the most consecutive rainy days by having a properly rainy day.  The wind was getting going too, so after 12 hours of cycling my pace was pedestrian.  Fortunately all the pedestrians had stayed inside so I wasn't embarrassed by someone walking past me as I winched myself up the climbs. 

Fishguard had caught New Quay's shut syndrome.  There was a nice cafe but nowhere to leave the bike and the Barclays ATM had run out of paper, so I got proof of passage in a sweet shop with a couple of packets of salted peanuts, which helped.  I was so slow up the Gwaun Valley; the dozies had come back and I kept forgetting to pedal.  So I stopped at Rosebush to eat and get my wits together.  It is never pleasant on a wet permanent, especially heavy misty rain like this.  So it was into the Pembrokeshire lanes.  I saw a sign I thought said "Meidrim", where I was expecting to see one, and turned off my route about 4 miles early so found myself lost in Blaenwaun. 

Oddly enough the shot of adrenalin caused by being lost was just what I needed, and I suddenly started riding beautiful, making magic descents into Cwmbach and Gellywen (all on guesswork about where I wanted to be) as well as good climbs out and mercifully saw a sign pointing to Meidrim on the B4299, so I had only strayed a couple of miles off route.  Arrived back in Carmarthen Station at 17:46, so logging 18 hours 24 minutes for the ride, my slowest 300 ever, but one that will live in the memory for the epic challenge, wild weather, beautiful night riding, and friendly people that I met in the cafes along the way. 

I'd carried around a set of dry clothing in my Nelson Longflap saddlebag, which was still perfectly dry, and changed in the toilet at the station, putting half a ton of wet stuff back in a bag in the Longflap that could carry a full set of wet kit with the flap extended.  Met a guy on the train who was heading for a Friday night ride to the coast to Southend so we had a chat before sleep got the better of me on the train back to Reading.  Eventually got home about twenty past 11, ironically 24 hours after setting out from the ATM in Carmarthen.

Its possibly not my role to say it, but I think the Cambrian Series, especially the longer rides, have a place in the Audax pantheon.  I've not come across anything quite like them for testing mental self-sufficiency, together with the beautiful scenery and epic roads.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #479 on: 25 March, 2016, 10:07:05 am »
Now I have more experience I need to start doing the longer Cambrian rides, I've done the 2b and 2c, and I'm doing the 1k on monday. The 3b passes within 6 miles of my home so it makes sense to start with that one. The names of the villages in your excellent report fill me with aprehension as I'll be doing it knowing exactly whats in front of me. Time to man up I think, but lets wait for better weather.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

« Reply #480 on: 25 March, 2016, 10:34:11 am »
....excellent report....

Yes! The usual high standard from CET. Thanks!

(Must get to Wales more.)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #481 on: 25 March, 2016, 01:00:24 pm »
Giving the steed its usual wash down and checkover this morning.  That cracked drain cover didn't only have enough force to crack one of the rests on my my tri-bars it also snapped a rear spoke on my Shamal Ultra.  Two things that crossed my mind - (1)  I don't know how Graeme is getting on in his pilgrimage to York but God was with certainly with me as I was on the tribars at 30mph and somehow didn't come off into the path of the army truck that was behind me and (2) Shamal Ultras are worth every penny, as it was one of the two right hand spokes in its set, the remaining one held the wheel together enough to complete a further 160 miles of Cambrian entertainment

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #482 on: 26 March, 2016, 05:50:01 pm »
Mrs CET doesn't like the idea of me riding the 8A solo, so is anyone up for three days around Wales starting from Aberdare on Saturday 30th April.  Otherwise I might do a 400 or head for the Porkers.

« Reply #483 on: 26 March, 2016, 05:55:38 pm »
Would be but am in BC 400 and probably (much ) slower than you Colin !!
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #484 on: 26 March, 2016, 06:48:32 pm »
I'd get bored waiting around for him.

Meanwhile, here is some relevant puffery:

43 reasons why cycling anywhere in Wales is a terrible idea

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/fun-stuff/43-reasons-cycling-anywhere-wales-11080365
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #485 on: 26 March, 2016, 07:18:44 pm »
I'd get bored waiting around for him.

Meanwhile, here is some relevant puffery:

43 reasons why cycling anywhere in Wales is a terrible idea

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/fun-stuff/43-reasons-cycling-anywhere-wales-11080365

Like it!  I'd love to put a route past the Nant y Moch reservoir but there's no way to get controls either side that require that route.  Some things are best left to rider's alternatives.  Perhaps you could detour the 1C Machnynlleth - Llanidloes route a very long way round to take it.  Many of the other reasons for avoiding Welsh roads are, of course, featured in many of the Cambrian Series  :thumbsup:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #486 on: 26 March, 2016, 07:42:29 pm »
Blacksheep put a ludicrous info by the dam for his 600 last year.

(But it's a very lovely ride, so I'm trying it again this year - hopefully without the fog this time!).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #487 on: 26 March, 2016, 08:20:26 pm »
Blacksheep put a ludicrous info by the dam for his 600 last year.

(But it's a very lovely ride, so I'm trying it again this year - hopefully without the fog this time!).

And I`ve enjoyed it as a `scenic` routeing on BCM coupled with Elan Valley manoeuvre avoiding A44

« Reply #488 on: 27 March, 2016, 12:15:32 am »
I use Nant y Moch on a few of my DIY 200's and 300's , coupled with Elan Valley it makes for a very "scenic" ride
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #489 on: 29 March, 2016, 05:03:45 pm »
The 2C also uses Newcastle Emlyn as a control (New Quay - Newcastle Emlyn - Fishguard - Carmarthen - Llandeilo - Lampeter - New Quay.) so you could start and finish at Newcastle Emlyn or use Llandysul as an extra start/finish control in between New Quay and Newcastle Emlyn which by my calculations adds 12k to the distance but not much climbing.

This is looking favourite for Monday. I haven't found many routes for it on t'web (or even comments on here, except this https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=57183.msg1179659#msg1179659 ). So either it's little ridden, or there is only really 1 main route option. Or both.

At 201km this seems likely to be the shortest route.

https://connect.garmin.com/page/activity/activity.faces?activityId=32782213&actionMethod=page%2Factivity%2Factivity.xhtml%3AuserSwitcher.switchSystem&cid=11599286

Any reasons not to use this?
Any reasons to ride clockwise? (The obvious one being a much flatter finish, instead of the infamous Synod Inn climb!)
(and of course café tips for an anti-clock ride with an Emlyn start! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #490 on: 30 March, 2016, 11:34:54 am »
Thank you for a brilliant and inspiring write up CET

Can't wait to get back on my solo and get out in those hills. Tempted by a cambrian 300 in May.  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #491 on: 30 March, 2016, 11:04:29 pm »
The 2C also uses Newcastle Emlyn as a control (New Quay - Newcastle Emlyn - Fishguard - Carmarthen - Llandeilo - Lampeter - New Quay.) so you could start and finish at Newcastle Emlyn or use Llandysul as an extra start/finish control in between New Quay and Newcastle Emlyn which by my calculations adds 12k to the distance but not much climbing.

This is looking favourite for Monday. I haven't found many routes for it on t'web (or even comments on here, except this https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=57183.msg1179659#msg1179659 ). So either it's little ridden, or there is only really 1 main route option. Or both.

At 201km this seems likely to be the shortest route.

https://connect.garmin.com/page/activity/activity.faces?activityId=32782213&actionMethod=page%2Factivity%2Factivity.xhtml%3AuserSwitcher.switchSystem&cid=11599286

Any reasons not to use this?
Any reasons to ride clockwise? (The obvious one being a much flatter finish, instead of the infamous Synod Inn climb!)
(and of course café tips for an anti-clock ride with an Emlyn start! )

the 3B does most of this route, except Llandeilo - Lampeter (it adds Brecon & Llanwrtyd) and I rode this route anticlockwise last Thursday (well Wednesday night - see write up above).  The only change I would suggest is using the B4300 from Carmarthen to Llandeilo (through Capel Dewi) as this is pleasant, not hilly and much less traffic.  There was a really good greasy spoon cafe in Lampeter which opened from 7am - if you approach from the east its on the right hand side before the main A road junction. 

The Ty Croeso cafe in Newcastle Emlyn did a really good cheese and ham toastie. 

The Barclays ATM in Fishguard wasn't giving receipts but perhaps they've put a new till roll in now.

Enjoy!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #492 on: 30 March, 2016, 11:06:22 pm »
Mrs CET doesn't like the idea of me riding the 8A solo, so is anyone up for three days around Wales starting from Aberdare on Saturday 30th April.  Otherwise I might do a 400 or head for the Porkers.

Looks like there is one other (not of this parish) who is going to take up the offer - therefore there will be at least two venturing from aberdare on the morning of the 30th April (unless the weather forecast is dire) to try to double the number of successful finishers of this rare 800km distance.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #493 on: 02 April, 2016, 05:08:09 pm »

« Reply #494 on: 06 April, 2016, 08:17:50 pm »
On Sat 23 April I find that I am in Builth Wells for the day with not a lot to do (I am bringing the caravan and Mrs Revellinho down to WonderWool for the weekend).  Does anyone have a recommendation for a Cambrian Series perm that could use Builth as a start/finish control?  I have not done any of them.  I think a 200 is the only option.  I don't mind hills and I prefer not to have too much in the way of busy main roads (as I will be riding in normal daylight hours).  Your thoughts are appreciated.

« Reply #495 on: 07 April, 2016, 07:11:35 am »
There`s 2A (goes thro Llanwrtyd and L`dod so could link into ) or 2B thro` Builth itself; or you could look at the 1H option (goes thro` Hundred House just up road from Builth)

Failing  that I could meet up with you in Builth for a 100-120 DIY hilly to take in eg a loop around Elan Valley / Painscastle hills, Epynt---

forgot  :facepalm: may be in Bristol that Saturday, but here`s some other routes too

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12624061 or https://ridewithgps.com/routes/9524730 or https://ridewithgps.com/routes/6860470 linking into routes @ Newbridge just up A470 from Builth.

I`m not too far from Builth and OH is also going to Wonder wool ! My ride speed on a hilly 100 is around 20-22 kph average.

« Reply #496 on: 07 April, 2016, 07:32:06 am »
I would offer to join you both but I'm going to Wonderwool too. The crochet is to die for.

« Reply #497 on: 07 April, 2016, 09:00:06 am »
There`s 2A (goes thro Llanwrtyd and L`dod so could link into ) or 2B thro` Builth itself; or you could look at the 1H option (goes thro` Hundred House just up road from Builth)

Failing  that I could meet up with you in Builth for a 100-120 DIY hilly to take in eg a loop around Elan Valley / Painscastle hills, Epynt---

forgot  :facepalm: may be in Bristol that Saturday, but here`s some other routes too

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12624061 or https://ridewithgps.com/routes/9524730 or https://ridewithgps.com/routes/6860470 linking into routes @ Newbridge just up A470 from Builth.

I`m not too far from Builth and OH is also going to Wonder wool ! My ride speed on a hilly 100 is around 20-22 kph average.

I'll look at the 2B thanks - I think I'd like a couple of points if I venture out.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #498 on: 07 April, 2016, 09:31:49 am »
There's also the 2D - which can be ridden Builth - Llanwrtyd - Tregaron - Lampeter - New Quay - Tregaron - Rhayader - Llandrindod - Builth.  That takes in the clasic Elenith climbs (Devil's Staircase on the way out, Cwmystywyth on the way back) plus some nice parts of West Wales - the only busy section of road is bits of Rhayade - Builth on the way back, but those roads do have good verges so are most civilised than most and its not far from LLandod to Builth which is the one busy route.  Its surprisingly rarely ridden (only the 2G has had less completions) for a route that has so many nice stages on it.  Perhaps the 3540m contour counted ascent has something to do with that  ;D.  (Oh and that hilll out of New Quay after you have already done the Devils Staircase  ;D ;D)

« Reply #499 on: 07 April, 2016, 02:59:01 pm »
Thanks.  I've looked at those and PayPal'd for the 2D.  I would envisage controlling in Builth at about 08.00 if anyone is interested in joining in.  I can imagine this being a 12 hour job for me as I am not that fast and there are quite a lot of controls to fit in.

Paul