Author Topic: [HAMR] Visualizing the OYTT  (Read 222115 times)

red marley

Re: Visualizing the OYTT
« Reply #100 on: 22 January, 2015, 11:29:02 pm »
I've updated the web app to make interaction a little easier and hopefully more intuitive. The chart can be scaled by dragging the main area of the chart either horizontally or vertically. You can pan by dragging along either axis.

« Reply #101 on: 22 January, 2015, 11:50:54 pm »
Very cool.
Rust never sleeps

red marley

« Reply #102 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:20:47 am »
Day 22: Kurt inches his way upwards towards the magic baseline. Steve inches away from his own schedule and Tommy's January total.

« Reply #103 on: 23 January, 2015, 07:06:14 am »
This graph makes very interesting viewing. Most of the forum now seems to have virtually discounted IronOx due to his woeful start. If you look at the graph however, he is currently 2872 miles behind Tommy. Tommy, however peaked at well over 4000 miles behind his own final average. If IronOx can sort his work related issues out and start banging he miles out....all is not lost.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #104 on: 23 January, 2015, 07:41:13 am »
Bollocks. Tintin has been too far behind for at least a week. Look at the big miles Tommy needed to do in warmer months to get up to that 205 mile average.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #105 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:14:47 am »
Bollocks. Tintin has been too far behind for at least a week. Look at the big miles Tommy needed to do in warmer months to get up to that 205 mile average.

Tommy pulled it back from over 4000 behind and he had much less time to do it in. Not bollocks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #106 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:22:27 am »
Care to put a pint on Tintin getting past 2/3 of Tommy's total, so 50,000 miles?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #107 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:33:45 am »
Care to put a pint on Tintin getting past 2/3 of Tommy's total, so 50,000 miles?

Absolutely not. I said its not impossible. I didn't say I thought it would happen. FWIW, I think its a two horse race which will fascinate us all for the rest of the year. May both men survive to finish and may the best man win.
Having said that (and bearing in mind that I have met both of them)
GO STEVE

« Reply #108 on: 23 January, 2015, 01:49:30 pm »
Jo - the Distance Markers option is only available when the Common Start Times box is unticked. Seems to me it's only appropriate when the Common Start Times box is ticked. As it stands, with CST unticked and DM ticked, Kurt appears to have done approx 1800 miles between 1st & 9th Jan, but he didn't start until 10th. So his cum distance is always overstated by ~1800 miles, based on where his line intersects the distance markers.

red marley

« Reply #109 on: 23 January, 2015, 02:24:21 pm »
Thanks for pointing that out. A bug in my coding that I should have spotted ((false != true) == true). I will update shortly. Updated.

« Reply #110 on: 23 January, 2015, 06:42:59 pm »
((false != true) == true)

I remember a lecturer (Computer Science BSc, University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, 1981) drillling into us that you never should use " == true ". I'm sure you know why...

;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #111 on: 24 January, 2015, 07:16:38 am »
There's at least the reason it's bad in any language, and the reason it's very bad in C.

red marley

« Reply #112 on: 24 January, 2015, 02:56:00 pm »
Day 23: There's lots of talk of Kurt trying to outpace Steve by a few miles each day. I think perhaps he has a more straightforward strategy - keeping a consistent average of 200 miles per day.

« Reply #113 on: 24 January, 2015, 03:02:58 pm »
I think perhaps he has a more straightforward strategy - keeping a consistent average of 200 miles per day.

That’s my view too. I don’t there is any deliberate effort to shadow Steve’s mileages. I’m sure he keeps abreast of how Steve is doing but I think he’s just riding it his own way.

red marley

« Reply #114 on: 25 January, 2015, 08:11:18 am »
Day 24: A largely favourable wind but catastrophic bar failure adds interesting times for Kurt, yet he maintains his impressive 200 miles per day. Despite a hilly day with over 2000m of climbing, Steve keeps himself above his upper schedule with another 190+ mile ride. Both continue to distance themselves from Tommy's January total.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #115 on: 25 January, 2015, 09:55:36 am »
Looks to me like Kurt's taking appropriate advantage of the mild Floridian winter, anticipating that the heat and storms may limit his summer mileage (if he doesn't take himself elsewhere). Steve is constrained currently by the UK winter, and will no doubt be able to put in much longer days in the saddle as conditions improve - as was the case for Tommy. They each have to ride appropriately for themselves and the conditions they find themselves riding in; I think it's impossible to draw any conclusions from a comparison of their efforts so far.

red marley

« Reply #116 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:40:52 am »
Day 25: Looking at all four riders, the gaps between them continues to widen. The chances of William regaining the 3,500 miles he has lost to the others seems increasingly remote. Steve and Kurt continue at their steady pace ahead of Tommy who had a period of lower mileage days in late January.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #117 on: 26 January, 2015, 07:05:28 am »
I think William's biggest contribution to the contest will be skewing the vertical scaling of jo's graphs.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #118 on: 26 January, 2015, 07:19:04 am »
An interesting negative mileage for William on day 16 or thereabouts. Any idea why?

« Reply #119 on: 26 January, 2015, 07:33:56 am »

I think William's biggest contribution to the contest will be skewing the vertical scaling of jo's graphs.

;D

« Reply #120 on: 26 January, 2015, 07:34:35 am »
An interesting negative mileage for William on day 16 or thereabouts. Any idea why?

He didn't ride at all that day.

red marley

« Reply #121 on: 26 January, 2015, 07:37:17 am »

Good point. That was his only day of zero milage, and there was a minor bug that incorrectly joined the gap. Now corrected.

red marley

« Reply #122 on: 27 January, 2015, 06:40:39 am »
Day 26: Some mechanicals for Kurt and a short transfer during the day keeps his daily total 10 miles or so lower than his recent average. Steve keeps up his slightly above schedule pace before the bad weather forecast for later this week hits.

KieronY

• N007
« Reply #123 on: 27 January, 2015, 06:51:45 am »
Jo, what do you make of Kurt's Strava data for yesterday between 162km and 173Km? To me it looks as though he forgot to turn his GPS off whilst in the van.

« Reply #124 on: 27 January, 2015, 07:18:31 am »
All you get from the tracker is a set of positions, with no information at all about what happens between positions. The tracker page just joins the final position before the Spot was turned off to the first position after it was turned on. There's no "on" or "off" signal, so that's all it can do.