Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 638118 times)

Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #1250 on: 05 April, 2012, 03:52:41 pm »
A friend of mine is frequently seen on his Colnago mtb.

« Reply #1251 on: 06 April, 2012, 05:46:43 pm »

Still with a Campagnolo groupset on it? They had a very brief flirtation with making MTB components.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1252 on: 06 April, 2012, 05:47:58 pm »
It's not every day that you see a BMX bike fitted with a luggage rack and panniers, but someone round my way has one.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1253 on: 06 April, 2012, 05:59:13 pm »

Still with a Campagnolo groupset on it? They had a very brief flirtation with making MTB components.
In 1999 I lived in France where France, Germany and Switzerland meet.  The bike shop over the border in Switzerland had a Colnago MTB.  I'd never seen one and was tempted for the novelty value but my wallet saw sense.

Campag MTB equipment - I still have 3 chainsets in use.  They are very nice indeed.

« Reply #1254 on: 06 April, 2012, 06:02:48 pm »
It's not every day that you see a BMX bike fitted with a luggage rack and panniers, but someone round my way has one.

My mate Nigel (notorious Nigel) once fitted gears to his BMX. But then he got bored with that, so he fitted a motor instead. It was scary as fuck to ride.

« Reply #1255 on: 06 April, 2012, 06:16:42 pm »

I think so. I'll look more closely next week.

« Reply #1256 on: 06 April, 2012, 06:36:38 pm »

My mate Nigel (notorious Nigel) once fitted gears to his BMX. But then he got bored with that, so he fitted a motor instead. It was scary as fuck to ride.

From the comments on that link:

dclem says...
10:02am Thu 31 Dec 09

I think a nomination for the "Best of Darlington" awards is in order.

Anyone we know ?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1257 on: 06 April, 2012, 07:01:33 pm »
Not an interesting or unusual bike, but an interesting and unusual mudguard. Yes, mudguard. Well, mudguard fixing in fact. It was simply wedged between BB and chainstay bridge, then tied above the brake bridge with baler twine and jubilee clip, and finally had more twine running from the holes that normally receive the stays up to the saddle rails. As you can imagine, there was oodles of clearance all the way round - so much that I wonder if it really could have been an effective mudguard, but it was certainly eye-catching.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1258 on: 07 April, 2012, 02:48:40 pm »
The interesting feature of this French(?) '80s(?) bike doesn't really show on the photo; in addition to the period components (Mafac side pull brakes, Simplex derailleur, Solida crank, Maillard hubs) it has vaguely triangular tubing on the down tube. Aero, I guess.

« Reply #1259 on: 07 April, 2012, 07:54:48 pm »
A hub-geared Giant, presumably back-pedal brake because it only had a front caliper, with curious top tubes. Two of 'em, which curved down behind the seat tube to become seat stays.

It said "Via" on the frame. Locked up in Broad Street, Reading, this afternoon.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1260 on: 07 April, 2012, 09:33:01 pm »
Not so unusual as the above, but an 80s Tony Oliver in nice condition.  Camping with us.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1261 on: 10 April, 2012, 10:31:05 pm »

No idea what this is.
Getting there...

« Reply #1262 on: 10 April, 2012, 10:40:31 pm »

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1263 on: 10 April, 2012, 10:45:05 pm »
Perhaps.  I thought it might be something similar, but there's no drivetrain and the seat is not amenable to pedalling really.  Post at the front looks like it might be a part of the steering mechanism.

It's a snatched photo, because it was on private land away from the road, and I didn't feel I could get closer...
Getting there...

« Reply #1264 on: 10 April, 2012, 10:54:16 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1265 on: 10 April, 2012, 11:01:29 pm »
Very brief search:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bicycle_two_1886.jpg
Is that the White House in the background? :o

Wherever it is, the woman doesn't look very happy to be photographed awheel.

« Reply #1266 on: 10 April, 2012, 11:05:45 pm »
Very brief search:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bicycle_two_1886.jpg
Is that the White House in the background? :o

Wherever it is, the woman doesn't look very happy to be photographed awheel.

I didn't notice the background. The expressions can be accounted for by the fact of having to sit motionless for an age while the photographer worked his magic.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #1267 on: 11 April, 2012, 09:55:58 am »
Not an interesting or unusual bike, but an interesting and unusual mudguard. Yes, mudguard. Well, mudguard fixing in fact. It was simply wedged between BB and chainstay bridge, then tied above the brake bridge with baler twine and jubilee clip, and finally had more twine running from the holes that normally receive the stays up to the saddle rails. As you can imagine, there was oodles of clearance all the way round - so much that I wonder if it really could have been an effective mudguard, but it was certainly eye-catching.

I've seen it too!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1268 on: 17 April, 2012, 10:17:54 pm »
Last week (but the rider looked regular), outside the Crown at Pantygelli - a Hetchins, mainly black, with a Sturmey-Archer 4-speed hub (the shifter is about the only useful identifying feature to have come out on the photo I grabbed)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1269 on: 18 April, 2012, 09:53:11 pm »
There appears to be a rather bling Colnago with a distinct lack of mudguards in the Den. 

« Reply #1270 on: 18 April, 2012, 09:56:16 pm »
There appears to be a rather bling Colnago with a distinct lack of mudguards in the Den.
Does it have a wet owner?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1271 on: 18 April, 2012, 09:57:04 pm »
Does it have a rack with panniers full of cake? ;)
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1272 on: 18 April, 2012, 10:16:32 pm »
It has an owner who was indeed rather damp, and wearing the stripe of mud up his back with pride :D  But who has now faced and met the challenge of persuading the CrinklyBoiler to produce a bathful of water that is reasonably_hot, has rather cleaner kit drying on radiators, has been fed copious quantities of macaroni cheese and tea, declined any and all offers of cake and is tucked up in a Cub's bed (since the cubs are away so he got a free upgrade from the cat-infested sofa) complete with racing car duvet.

It is a rather nice Colnago, isn't it?  Even I can tell.... Although I don't think there has ever been a bike with so few spokes in the Den before!

« Reply #1273 on: 18 April, 2012, 10:34:38 pm »
It is a rather nice Colnago, isn't it?
Not as nice as a Master Pista X Light but still very nice. Just don't tell him I said that
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1274 on: 19 April, 2012, 08:52:24 am »
Them plastic ones ain't as good as the proper steel Colnagos ;)
Getting there...