Author Topic: Lions tour 2013  (Read 7932 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Lions tour 2013
« Reply #25 on: 06 June, 2013, 07:48:15 am »
The Graun have now published places 11 to 30 and the only one of my top 10 to have appeared is John Dawes at no. 24. That's pretty harsh. It would be hard to argue that there was ever a better set of lions than the 1971 tour to New Zealand, which the Lions won and of which Dawes was captain.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #26 on: 06 June, 2013, 11:37:53 am »
The Graun have now published places 11 to 30 and the only one of my top 10 to have appeared is John Dawes at no. 24. That's pretty harsh. It would be hard to argue that there was ever a better set of lions than the 1971 tour to New Zealand, which the Lions won and of which Dawes was captain.

I suppose it depends on their definition of "Greatest".  Dawes was massively influential but only went on one tour, how do you compare that to someone who went on three or four?
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #27 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:05:49 am »
The Grauniad, along with a few elder statesmen of UK rugby, are selecting their 50 greatest lions of all time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/interactive/2013/jun/04/rugby-union-50-greatest-british-irish-lions give nos 31to 50.

I'm a bit surprised that some of those players are so low, Graham Price and Johnny Wilkinson particularly.

My guess for the Top 10:

Gareth Edwards
John Dawes
Willy John McBride
Phil Bennett
JPR Williams
Gerald Davies
Barry John
Mike Gibson
Mervyn Davies
John Taylor

Sandy Carmichael, John Pullin and Fergus Slattery must be up there somewhere as well.

Eight of my top 10 were also in the Graun's list. Martin Johnson and Brian O'Driscoll were the two I overlooked, but I'd never place either ahead of Dawes. The dominance of the Welsh side in the 1970s, and the fine Lions sides which were moulded round them, were as much a result of creative thinking about the game of rugby as the physical side, and John Dawes was at the heart of that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #28 on: 15 June, 2013, 05:10:15 pm »
Christian Wade called up as cover. Astonishing. I certainly think he's up to it but I'm surprised none the less. Can't see him starting any of the Tests but he could be a good impact sub.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #29 on: 16 June, 2013, 08:07:04 am »
Even more extrordinarily, Shane Williams has been called up for the midweek match.  I thought it was a prank story when I read it but apparently not.  It's an extraordinary move!  I guess the test side has been selected and is being protected, and I detect an element of Gatts mischief following on from the weak sides fielded by some of the Aussie sides early on in the tour.

citoyen

« Reply #30 on: 16 June, 2013, 09:53:58 am »
Extraordinary indeed.

It could be mischief but it could be purely practical - who else is available who would really merit a Lions place?

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #31 on: 16 June, 2013, 10:07:14 am »
Extraordinary indeed.

It could be mischief but it could be purely practical - who else is available who would really merit a Lions place?

I think it's just pure practicality!  Shane's already in Australia doing some commentary work!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #32 on: 16 June, 2013, 01:34:22 pm »
In other news, all those Welshmen Down Under were not available for the national side  . . .  which lost to Japan in Tokyo, 23-8.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #33 on: 18 June, 2013, 01:18:37 pm »
Oops.

(Got distracted this morning so missed the game - could only have watched on Live Text on BBC Website anyway). Probably a good thing.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #34 on: 22 June, 2013, 12:00:16 pm »
This game looks like a hum-dinger. I'm following it onthe Graun text commentary and I'm perched on the edge of my seat.

citoyen

« Reply #35 on: 22 June, 2013, 12:02:15 pm »
Fantastic first half. North vs Folau is already turning out to be an epic contest.

Also, how many Will Genias are there? He seems to be everywhere. Amazing player.

« Reply #36 on: 22 June, 2013, 12:37:51 pm »
The referees a wan&er...

citoyen

« Reply #37 on: 22 June, 2013, 12:39:31 pm »
Fan of Owen Farrell though I am, Sexton has shown today exactly why he's first choice at 10. Quality in every department.

Between him and Genia for man of the match, I reckon.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #38 on: 22 June, 2013, 01:06:57 pm »
Managed to see 10 mins near the start and the last 10 mins. Nailbiting stuff.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #39 on: 25 June, 2013, 11:59:36 am »
Today's game seems to be a bit more relaxing to watch.

citoyen

« Reply #40 on: 25 June, 2013, 03:24:57 pm »
I've got it recorded to watch later. Doesn't sound like there was much to give Gatland cause for a dilemma over his selections for Saturday though. Maybe Ben Youngs has a chance of starting ahead of Mike Philips?

O'Connell will be a big loss in the next Test. I thought he was excellent last weekend. The scrum looked a lot weaker after Jones and Corbisiero went off, but it probably didn't help that O'Connell was playing with a broken arm for the last half hour!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #41 on: 25 June, 2013, 04:03:32 pm »
Sadly, I don't get to watch it - unless there is some non-Murdoch free/internet-based channel on which to do so.

citoyen

« Reply #42 on: 25 June, 2013, 05:17:06 pm »
I bit the bullet and upgraded my Sky package to include the sports channels for the duration of the Tests. I suppose I could go to the pub or the rugby club to watch it, but then I'd be forced into sociable boozing, and I'm trying to avoid booze at the moment.

You can probably find a dodgy live stream on the internet. I sometimes watch cycling this way, though my internet connection is rubbish so it often doesn't work very well for me.

« Reply #43 on: 25 June, 2013, 06:28:49 pm »
We used to get Sky for 12 months to cover the Ashes and then cancel. After 6 months or so they'd start with the "pay half price for a year" offers. We'd take them up just in time to cover the Ashes again, then cancel again after 12 months.

The rejigged Ashes scheduling has messed up this plan royally.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #44 on: 29 June, 2013, 12:39:50 pm »
Another nail-biter...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #45 on: 29 June, 2013, 12:46:59 pm »
Bollocks!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #46 on: 29 June, 2013, 12:52:27 pm »
And bugger.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #47 on: 29 June, 2013, 01:42:52 pm »
Just finished watching it in slipped time.

Same result, I'm afraid.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #48 on: 29 June, 2013, 07:57:43 pm »
Poor line outs (including the one right down Australia's end with a few minutes to go).

George North promoted to tackling legend with that effort on Israel Folau.

citoyen

« Reply #49 on: 30 June, 2013, 10:07:45 am »
For anyone who missed it:
http://youtu.be/zVgc2JVNGaE

I have a feeling we'll be seeing that clip for years to come. He's lucky to walk away from it though - could have seriously injured himself the way he came down on his head.

Also enjoyed BOD's massive hit on Ashley-Cooper(?) early on.

I thought it was a good game. Very tense and nervy though, hence a lot of mistakes by both sides. Kind of a good thing Australia nicked it, if only because it means the last test isn't a dead rubber.