Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813941 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1200 on: 07 August, 2008, 04:57:24 pm »
90 km ride with the 'Bristol Thursday Old Time Cyclists' to Priddy, on the Mendips.

Left Bitton station at 1015 and headed through Saltford, Stanton Drew, before the climb of East Harptree hill, where the only rain of the day fell on us. Then the usual sprint to the pub for lunch, arriving at 1220.
A good lunch  at the Queen Victoria, Priddy was washed down with a couple of pints of
the excellent Butcombe Blonde.

# The capes and jackets were soon removed

The lunchtime shower whilst we were refuelling, had passed and gave a dry return to Bitton station
via Chew Stoke, Chew Magna, Norton Marlewood and Queen Charlton.

CathH

« Reply #1201 on: 07 August, 2008, 05:04:07 pm »
No.  :(  I have had a painless migrane for the last 24 hours and we're off bowling and then for a meal tomorrow after work.  I'll all for cycling silly hours but the distances involved are too much.  I miss my bike.

Jane C

« Reply #1202 on: 07 August, 2008, 06:13:02 pm »
Out for a pootle about this afternoon on the lanes east of Oxford. Saw various individual cyclists out and about, plus red kites and a buzzard.

Dropped into Newington Nurseries for a cold drink and a cake at their cafe. Disappointed to find that they only had squash or fizzy water and a small selection of wrapped cakes, but I guess it is midweek. So I had a glass of orange squash and headed home for cake.

Nice ride on the lanes in the sunshine. Bit busy on the B road coming back.

« Reply #1203 on: 08 August, 2008, 12:25:51 am »
A 23m ride out to the Swan With Two Nicks near Dunham Massey. Despite the forecast, the rain held off until we were at the pub and the shower was over by the time we were ready to leave.
My hastily cobbled together front light bracket kept forcing the mudguard onto the tyre over bumps so I've spent some time since I got back trying to fix it.
It seems OK now- a quick ride out into Chorlton Ees to set up the E3, the IQ and Fenix  8) suggested that it was fine.
I should be able to see where I'm going on the Skegness ride  :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #1204 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:25:57 am »
The 25km gym run this morning was tricky - last night's storms had washed a lot of gravel and junk into the roads. The ford just outside the village was flowing well too.

Got rained on coming home - but nothing like the monsoon last night.

cometworm

« Reply #1205 on: 08 August, 2008, 10:50:13 am »
10km (plus extras for getting lost) to the pool, 30 mins swimming, then 10km back home, then 10km to the office. My new Friday routine :-)

« Reply #1206 on: 08 August, 2008, 12:52:28 pm »
Rode to the club TT course last night (15 Mi), then warmed up and did the club 10 before riding home again. I felt very well, although I had tired legs this morning. I am starting to perform on the TT and I am feeling it, esp. late in the week. Looking forward to the 25s I have lined up for the end of the season where my fast endurance will, I hope, pay.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #1207 on: 08 August, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »
yup, 30 miles of lakeland hills.  I was aiming to do honister but when i got to the bottom it was absolutely lashing it down and my brakes are dodgy enough in the dry, I didnt really fancy coming down the other side in the wet so I carried on to Langdale and then on to Elterwater, then back to Coniston.  Lovely, if a little soggy.

So no proper hill climb yet then...  ;)  :P

git!

Does kirkstone count?  a little jaunt up there and back from ambleside this morning.  **Amazing** run home :D

(quite a lot less fun on the way up)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1208 on: 08 August, 2008, 08:53:24 pm »
A lovely ride to the Inn at Whitewell and back. Memories of a former ACF ride back in 2006. We were much more sensible today and did NOT climb the Trough of Bowland, but did partake of some scrummy food and beer (Hen Harrier from the Bowland brewery) A moments lapse of concentration on the way back resulted in a delightful detour through Chipping and as we approached Kirkham, some five miles from home I got the urge to extend the ride by visiting my Mum in St. Annes. This had two bonuses, a nice cup of tea with a chorely cake and a final tally of 105km. Very satisfying.

Maladict

« Reply #1209 on: 09 August, 2008, 12:16:59 am »
yup, 30 miles of lakeland hills.  I was aiming to do honister but when i got to the bottom it was absolutely lashing it down and my brakes are dodgy enough in the dry, I didnt really fancy coming down the other side in the wet so I carried on to Langdale and then on to Elterwater, then back to Coniston.  Lovely, if a little soggy.

git!

Does kirkstone count?  a little jaunt up there and back from ambleside this morning.  **Amazing** run home :D

(quite a lot less fun on the way up)

Did you go up the hard way or the easy way?

(Fred Whitton goes the easy way)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #1210 on: 09 August, 2008, 01:43:55 am »
I suppose this is yesterday now but....

Down to Inverness and along the lower road past Foyers (the man who owns the shop- what a knob) and then back on the upper road (B862), turning off on General Wades road and down to Dunlichity.

Lovely.

H

« Reply #1211 on: 09 August, 2008, 07:07:47 am »

Did you go up the hard way or the easy way?

(Fred Whitton goes the easy way)

which way is which?  I turned right at the mini roundabout in Ambleside and it all went horridly up, then along a bit, then up some more.

« Reply #1212 on: 09 August, 2008, 08:22:44 am »
which way is which?  I turned right at the mini roundabout in Ambleside and it all went horridly up, then along a bit, then up some more.
Mike, you went up Kirkstone via "The Struggle" a.k.a. the hard way up.   :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #1213 on: 09 August, 2008, 11:06:28 am »
75km loop at 26.7km/hr average1  :thumbsup:.

followed by

A bowl of cereal and a pint of tea

shortly followed by

A bacon sarnie and a further pint of tea

That's enough fun for one day - off to cut the grass now before the rains come...

----------------------------------------------------------------
1 My knee is feeling much better.

« Reply #1214 on: 09 August, 2008, 01:41:11 pm »
Short ride to/from the Go-Ride club. The kids enjoyed today's cyclocross sessions. Miserable weather though  :(

« Reply #1215 on: 09 August, 2008, 01:47:56 pm »

git!

Does kirkstone count? 

That's a start! How many chevrons1?   O:-)

It is a beautiful region for cycling, isn't it? We should arrange an off-season yACF route or WE there. And pack some interesting hills.

1 My map indicates a few single chevrons up Kirkstone but I don't have the full climb I fear.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1216 on: 10 August, 2008, 12:13:25 am »
Pootled out to marshal a 25. Got rained on.
Didn't fancy a ride back so scrounged a lift.
Ended up feeling very ill in bed all afternoon.
 :( :sick:
Maybe I wasn't just horribly unfit but unwell with it.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Maladict

« Reply #1217 on: 10 August, 2008, 12:49:11 pm »
Rode back from Up the Uts - with the wind.  Rather faster than riding out there yesterday against it.

« Reply #1218 on: 10 August, 2008, 01:03:26 pm »
Yep, a lovely Sunday morning pootle to the cafe to meet family GruB for a cooked breakfast and in time to watch the last 6km of the Olympic road race to joyfully see Nicole Cooke triumph.

Elleigh

« Reply #1219 on: 10 August, 2008, 01:13:39 pm »
I'm planning on going out for a pootle at 4.  I am essay writing until then.

My pootle is helping me not feel hard done by for having to write essay on a Sunday.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1220 on: 10 August, 2008, 06:50:01 pm »
90 km or so through Odiham, Herriard, then through the Candovers to Alresford, and back via Bentworth, Lasham, and Golden Pot. Legs very heavy.

Saw this little group just after I set out.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #1221 on: 10 August, 2008, 07:41:56 pm »
32 miles round the lanes. Meet a couple of guys from Stockton Wheelers so rode with them for a bit. Got wet again (twice). Nearly got blown off by a gust of wind as I passed a farm gate. Front wheel lifted clean off the road. No idea how I managed to stay on, thought I was in for a skin/tarmac interface for sure.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1222 on: 10 August, 2008, 08:23:59 pm »
Out with the Tandem Club today.  Mrs. Hall announced just a few miles before we arrived at the start that she'd forgotten her cycling shoes.  She was wearing her new sandals.

Fortunately there was a cycling shop right next to the start.

Unfortunately it doesn't open Sundays. Or Mondays.

56km in splendid company (inc. Russell of this parish),  roads, bridleways, coffee, sticky buns, Boxhill, BEER, more coffee, more buns.

No p*nct*r*rs, hardly any rain.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1223 on: 10 August, 2008, 08:30:41 pm »
Hooked up with Southwark Cyclist's Locks & Docks ride at Cutty Sark Gardens this morning.

Refreshments at Firepower in Woolwich, then across the river on The Ferry and on to Beckton where the SC’s carried on Locking and Docking,
whereas Sgt. Pluck, one other and myself headed out east to the RSPB place on Avelely Marshes at Purfleet, included in which were some exploratory forays onto Ford's property in Dagenham (sadly a non-starter) and a  very hairy half mile section of the A13  :o :o :o – not to be repeated, thank you very much.

Lunch at the RSPB and we then retraced our steps, bumping into Marna and Mr.Marna disembarking as we boarded the Woolwich Ferry.

Took shelter from persistent showers in the music college in Greenwich and 53 miles later I’m back home.
A good, pootling, exploratory day out.

« Reply #1224 on: 11 August, 2008, 08:34:47 am »
We decided to ride some hills in the Peak District. We were initially going for a 50 Miler... having only a rough idea for a possible circuit.

We went out to Derby with my good friend Julian. We were a bit a late and knew that our other buddy, Marc, would be waiting for us. We tried to ride reasonably strongly, but the wind kept playing against us. Finally we mae it at the rendz-vous point where Marc... wasn't. He had already cycled up the road to Duffield. Cued a second chase; but we finally found Marc. The group swerved left in Duffield along the B road to Wirksworth; only this time we had no plan to take the climb to Kirk Ireton as we've done a bit over the lat year or so. Today we were going to Climb to Crich from Wirksworth village, heading North East along the most direct route. As Marc and I were talking shop Julian took the front; we were maybe too comfortable chatting! We took our relays soon after and became quiet. the group was working well. Upon turning at Wirksworth the road appeared *nice* at first; then we hit the climb, a long, snaking ramp around the hill. The beginning was stepp but it soon became more acceptable; except that it lasted, longer than we had anticipated. This was followed by one of the most wonderful downhills again though and, if it hadn't been for some unwanted gravel in places, it could have been perfect. We crossed the A6 and left it seconds after to climb up to Crich, leaving the Derwent valley behind. Upon reaching the top we went back to the A6 to resume our early morning chaing gang activity. We left the A6 in Milford to climb around the hills to Makeney and cut Derby's outskirt. A couple of short climbs later we were on the A6005 starting to cruise home.

A great morning. 60 odd miles at 17.2Mi/h average. Nothing special, but a good work out in good company (getting too fast!) and the type of riding I like. Nice weather too, although a bit windy!!