Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 866331 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5725 on: 08 April, 2020, 08:16:10 pm »
A Shimano TL-PD33.  It was expensive, but nowhere near RRP.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5726 on: 09 April, 2020, 09:09:14 am »
https://www.mantel.com/uk/sidi-spareparts-strap-caliper-buckle Straps and buckles for my shoes, plus a cycle jacket.
Sidi Strap for Caliper Buckle

Sidi Caliper Buckle
Modesto Cycling 3 Jacket

[Forgotten how to do the hyperlink thing].

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5727 on: 09 April, 2020, 09:16:33 am »
A replacement (open) leather top for my Gilles Berthoud Aspin saddle. £130 later...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5728 on: 13 April, 2020, 04:48:28 pm »
An 11-34 cassette for the utility/commuter steed.  Wanted to use the £30 Evans voucher I got for Christmas, but their website kept kicking me back to login, so the dosh went to Amazon.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5729 on: 17 April, 2020, 08:16:56 pm »
An Ideale saddle. The modern version, not one from last century. I saw Katia and her Ideale saddles at PBP19. Lovely kit and the owners (+ Fred) have a much better approach to making expensive saddles (260EU including delivery) than Brooks. Concentrating on material quality, skilled assembly and durability rather than limited edition colours.

https://marksbikes.wordpress.com/2017/12/31/ideale-saddles/

I fully expect the Model 90 (similar to Brooks Pro) will end up being too narrow to suit my arse but some self-indulgent retail therapy may help lift my current mood and it may encourage them to make the somewhat wider Model 92 (similar to B17 Std) in future.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #5730 on: 22 April, 2020, 10:18:52 am »
Some actual Campag 1/4" bearings.  I have a NOS Record track hub - I don't think the seller realised it was NOS - and I foolishly replaced the balls.  In theory Grade 10 should be better than Campag's own but these hubs have a reputation for needing Campag bearings to run with perfect adjustment.  I can only get it to turn smoothly with a very small amount of play at one point.

Campag claim their bearings are grade 5 but everyone else seems to think they're grade 25.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #5731 on: 22 April, 2020, 10:39:31 am »
31.8 bullhorn bars, a suitable stem, and a suitable set of brake levers.

Will be putting my old nitto 25.4 bullhorns up on sale soon if anyone fancies them, they're good bars I just can't get them in the right size stem any more. Think they're these ones https://www.bike24.com/p294948.html?q=nitto%20bullhorn
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #5732 on: 22 April, 2020, 11:39:00 am »
crank pullers for my genesis day one.  Already have the other tools for the bottom bracket change but must have either sold or given away the crank puller

rogerzilla

« Reply #5733 on: 23 April, 2020, 10:40:08 am »
A s/h 1055 BB turned up.  Filthy, so didn't hold out much hope and it was indeed pitted, so it's going back.  Those old spindles pit if they see a drop of water, although this looks more like mechanical wear caused by loose adjustment (ball drop).

Why do eBay sellers never clean anything?

« Reply #5734 on: 25 April, 2020, 04:36:59 pm »
A s/h 1055 BB turned up.  Filthy, so didn't hold out much hope and it was indeed pitted, so it's going back.  Those old spindles pit if they see a drop of water, although this looks more like mechanical wear caused by loose adjustment (ball drop).

Why do eBay sellers never clean anything?

It's called patina.

Bought a pair of S/Marathons for the town bike.   Gotta pick 'em up from Halfords, knock twice and ask for Nellie.
Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

« Reply #5735 on: 27 April, 2020, 09:08:05 pm »
Some Cateye shiny bar tape that is a good match for the yellow Harry Quinn.  Its existing rubber tape is hanging off in tatters.

I also found a pair of 20 x 35mm M+ tyres for the Raleigh Twenty* for a mere £25.  The Marathons on there are somewhat aged now.

*which has now reached the point where the only original parts are the main frame and mudguards!

« Reply #5736 on: 28 April, 2020, 09:53:07 pm »
A torque wrench from Wiggle. 

LifeLine X-Tools Essential Torque Wrench Set

reviews said I should buy an Italian job for another £100+ but I am not even sure I need one at all, it's just these instructions that are so specific.
Move Faster and Bake Things

bludger

« Reply #5737 on: 28 April, 2020, 10:08:08 pm »
I've got that exact tool it's a goodun: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWMTWSV2/jobsworth-pro-torque-wrench-set

Not yet paid but i've asked the LBS to quote me to "downgrade" from 105 hydraulic to 105 mechanical + trp spyres.

Fed up with this fannying around. I don't want a bike I don't feel I can trust. I expect the job to cost to the tune of £250 but can probably recoup much of that by selling the shifters etc. I used spyres for ages and loved them.

Ban cars.

rogerzilla

« Reply #5738 on: 29 April, 2020, 09:23:36 am »
A set of NOS bronze brake segments for a Sachs Duomatic 102.  Rocking-horse poo.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5739 on: 29 April, 2020, 09:35:16 am »
I've got that exact tool it's a goodun: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWMTWSV2/jobsworth-pro-torque-wrench-set

Not yet paid but i've asked the LBS to quote me to "downgrade" from 105 hydraulic to 105 mechanical + trp spyres.

Fed up with this fannying around. I don't want a bike I don't feel I can trust. I expect the job to cost to the tune of £250 but can probably recoup much of that by selling the shifters etc. I used spyres for ages and loved them.

Funnily enough, I was wondering about doing the same thing.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5740 on: 29 April, 2020, 11:00:06 am »

Concur on the brakes - I bought a "build it yourself at the factory" Planet X carbon machine last August with an original spec of Ultegra hydraulic discs - haggled a deal with a "downgrade" to cable operated TRPs - easy to fit/fix repair and minimal risk of being out on the road and having no brakes if hydraulic fails. 

I get it with better braking with discs BUT why make it complicated (and more expensive) with hydraulic - to me the difference with cable disc is marginal .... doubtless there will be arguments on that point!

[When I was managing an LBS I had several customers that went back to cable discs]

Rob

bludger

« Reply #5741 on: 29 April, 2020, 11:14:36 am »
I definitely understand hydraulics for e.g. cyclocross and MTB where high-modulation braking is very valuable, but for just normal person road riding.... no thanks I'm done with this particular experiment, I feel.

Ban cars.

« Reply #5742 on: 29 April, 2020, 06:19:35 pm »
I bought a Brooks Cambian last night, bit pricey but I've only heard positive things about them.

I definitely understand hydraulics for e.g. cyclocross and MTB where high-modulation braking is very valuable, but for just normal person road riding.... no thanks I'm done with this particular experiment, I feel.

This answers my question of whether I should upgrade to hydro on my Aubisque.

bludger

« Reply #5743 on: 29 April, 2020, 11:26:50 pm »
Maybe you'd be fine with it. I think there's an awful lot of people who are very happy with theirs like Fiona Kolbinger and so on but for me my confidence in them has just been knocked to the point where I don't trust them.

Ban cars.

« Reply #5744 on: 30 April, 2020, 01:32:58 pm »
last week but it arrived today - a new bike!  Cannondale Caad13 in a probably pointless attempt to be able to keep up with the Mrs. 

My first new bike in 15 years, first hydraulic disks and first shimano (105).

Crikey it's stiff. And feels quick.  And quiet.  And much more comfy than I'd expected.  And the hoods are huge!  Only had time for a couple of miles up the road and back this morning, will try and get a longer loop in the rain tonight. 

« Reply #5745 on: 30 April, 2020, 01:36:56 pm »
Some hubs, spokes and rims to build some shiny wheels for my road bike.

Expensive kit, but it's a saving overall, as I can downgrade the old wheels to an old frame, and then I'll have a spare bike...

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5746 on: 30 April, 2020, 10:28:11 pm »
Ordered, deposit paid, a surly ECR 29+ in "Norwegian Cheese Brown". I'd prefer steel but it ges great reviews so.....

Also, really don't ask why, a 2nd hand Unicycle.  I'll need longer walking sticks if I try and ride that!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #5747 on: 01 May, 2020, 08:23:25 am »
I'm sure that I have some stabilizers in the shed that I could send you to help with the unicycle . (A penny trike) :D ;D
the slower you go the more you see

bludger

« Reply #5748 on: 04 May, 2020, 02:11:16 pm »
Payday got the better of me.

1x new stem (90mm) to replace my 110mm one for the fixed.
1x jack brown mile muncher tyre to replace a worn one for the fixed (it isn't actually worn but it will be...)
1x front light
1x rear light
1x planet X giant saddlebag as my podsacs one now needs some extra help staying put with an old inner tube, so I'm going to permanently fix it to the town bike.
1x disc brake cleaner spray

Ban cars.

« Reply #5749 on: 04 May, 2020, 02:15:31 pm »
2  x   STRONGLIGHT 130 BCD Dural Chainrings ( 46 tooth)