Author Topic: Favourite Cinema  (Read 3273 times)

Re: Favourite Cinema
« Reply #25 on: 17 November, 2010, 05:02:13 pm »
I'm not going to say Vue Oxford, so I'll plump for Bulawayo Drive-In Cinema

Many happy memories of the Drive-in experience, sitting out next to the car listening to the mono speaker, getting there too early and boiling in the sun, buying chips from the cafe in the projector house in the 'intermission'...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26 on: 17 November, 2010, 06:31:25 pm »
They're all vile.

Chavs kicking the seats and ruining the film?  Tick.
Comedy food pricing and nazis to stop you bringing your own? Tick.
15 minutes of adverts for local curry houses and taxi firms?  Tick.
That characteristic smell of popcorn, chips, burps and farts?  Tick.
Not being able to pause a 2.5 hour film when you want a slash? Tick.

Generally I can live with waiting four months for the DVD.

OMG, I sound like Greenbank  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #27 on: 17 November, 2010, 06:47:10 pm »
Love the cinemas, hate the multiplexes (although even some of those can be OK at a push).

My first favourite cinema was The Focus in Hereford, a lovely old Art Deco cinema bulldozed in the 80s to make way for a shitty retail development called Maylord Orchards.  I saw all three Star Wars films there as well as many others.

Coming to London, I fell in love with the club and rep cinemas.  There was a time in the late 80s/early 90s when it felt like whatever film you wanted to see could be seen at some point over the month.  There are a lot fewer cinemas now and that isn't true anymore.

I loved The Scala, especially for the all-nighters of themed films.  I loved the fact that you could both buy and drink beer in there and also watch several cinema cats (I think there were at least two) jump from seat to seat in search of food or curl up and fall asleep in front of the screen.  It also showed some stuff I don't think I have ever seen anywhere else (Cafe Flesh, Thundercrack etc, etc).

The Everyman in Hampstead was fantastic, used to show brilliant themed double and triple bills at an incredibly low price.  It's because of the Everyman that I have seen Bladerunner in the cinema at least ten times, as it was often in a bill with something else good (and always worth seeing again anyway).  Sadly it got renovated and stopped showing the great themed double/triple bills and just became a bit crap.

Loved the Renoir and the Lumiere for the art house fare.  The two Plaza cinemas were great for first run films, both having a decent sized main screen, both now gone I think.

The Phoenix in north London isn't bad but I think the last of the fun cinemas has to be the Prince Charles.

If I won £Squillion on the lottery I would buy, renovate and run an old Art Deco cinema, showing a mixture of great old films and new releases.  I would keep doing that at a loss until the money ran out.

Half of the fun would be working out the double bills - I used to run the film society at uni and I used to love the double bills and the all nighters.  There's an art to putting together a great selection of films that complement each other.  Could very happily spend the rest of my life doing that were it not for the lack of £Squillion (true for everyone's dreams I'm sure).

« Reply #28 on: 17 November, 2010, 06:57:34 pm »
 There's an art to putting together a great selection of films that complement each other.

WW - DJ on the reels.  :)

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #29 on: 17 November, 2010, 07:03:24 pm »
 There's an art to putting together a great selection of films that complement each other.

I didn't say I was any good at it  ;)

« Reply #30 on: 17 November, 2010, 07:19:26 pm »

I didn't say I was any good at it  ;)

Indeed not.
Thing is, if it's something you really wanted to do. Lots. Chances are you prolly would be  ;)

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #31 on: 17 November, 2010, 08:00:55 pm »

WW - DJ on the reels.  :)

I didn't say I was any good at it  ;)

Indeed not.
Thing is, if it's something you really wanted to do. Lots. Chances are you prolly would be  ;)

Would be nice to think so.  

I think the judgement is working out films that fit as a bill together but selecting what does and doesn't follow what.  In that I think Rushmore works better after Election in a double bill (which I saw at The Phoenix years back).  Likewise you can't show Excalibur after Holy Grail if you want anyone to take Excalibur seriously (especially as the title font in Excalibur is the same as in The Goodies titles).

It's all subjective of course - the advantage of the multiple bills at the Everyman used to be that they repeated them several times per day.  So you could join in whenever and watch in the order that either time or personal taste suggested (or sleep through the middle one of it was crap).  

I reckon I would still live in North London if the Everyman was still showing films in the same way.  Apologies for threadjack, I do like the OP question.

« Reply #32 on: 17 November, 2010, 08:21:15 pm »
The Ultimate Picture Palace.

Quirky doesn't come close to describing the experience. They've recently added a small bar at the back too.

The link's a bit odd.  It says 'near Camberwell SE15', but it's of an Oxford venue.
Well Oranj is much nearer to Oxford, so I assume it's this one:
Ultimate Picture Palace | Cinema, Jeune Street, Oxford, UK
(just off Cowley Road, Oxford)

It used to be The Penultimate Picture Palace. I went there a lot in the late 70's/early 80's.
They were threatened by  Oxford Council about the films they were showing so turned themselves into a private cinema club to get round certificate issues and showed a month of banned films. It was a great place for a teenage pseud.

« Reply #33 on: 17 November, 2010, 08:34:00 pm »
Another vote for Cinema City in Norwich

Also this place used to be a youth staple

http://www.wooltonpicturehouse.co.uk/

“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #34 on: 19 November, 2010, 06:49:29 pm »
Cinema Listings | Exeter Picturehouse | Exeter

My favourite down here.

That looks great, but I really can't visualise what was there before.
In my day it was the Odeon in Sidwell street or the ABC opposite Debenhams.  The Odeon was probably my fave, it was such an impressive building for a teenage kid.

Modern pocorn-stenched litter-strewn multiplexes are the work of stan.  They don't get much of my cash.

« Reply #35 on: 19 November, 2010, 06:56:15 pm »

...In my day it was the Odeon in Sidwell street...

It's still there and well-known to local cyclists: the Sunday clubruns commence outside it.

« Reply #36 on: 19 November, 2010, 10:44:46 pm »

...In my day it was the Odeon in Sidwell street...

It's still there and well-known to local cyclists: the Sunday clubruns commence outside it.

Good News, last time I was 'Home' Exeter had changed so much it felt like a poor imitation of Basingrad (Basingstoke).