Author Topic: Old Roads and Drove Roads 200, 20/08/2016  (Read 25273 times)

Re: Old Roads and Drove Roads 200, 20/08/2016
« Reply #25 on: 02 August, 2016, 10:21:30 am »
And, for inappropriate_bike, don't worry about too much about GWRs bike policy. All that has happened is that the number of bikes on the train has plummeted since its introduction, and official policy is now to allow unreserved bikes on if there is space -- and there almost certainly will be space. And the staff at Didcot are very helpful.

Thanks! That is great news.

Fantastic. I thought that would be the case hence a flexible ticket for Saturday with the bike booked for the train I think I will take but able to switch without it costing stupid money.

« Reply #26 on: 02 August, 2016, 10:33:03 am »
Ooh I'm tempted by this again this year, but I think I might take the new MTB for it. It'll be a challenge to get round in the time limit, but I think I'd appreciate the MTB a lot on the military land. I'd be able to pootle along looking at the view, rather than looking out for potholes/ditches/stones to tear the tyres apart. Not that I had any problems last year on the carbon roadie, but, there was definitely a lot of looking at road surfaces and not the wonderful desolation of the big open space.

I think it'll be doable, and darned good training too.  :thumbsup: ;D
Does not play well with others

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #27 on: 02 August, 2016, 12:33:35 pm »
Got a text this morning from Mr Bond (notp) asking if I remembered what I was doing this time last year.  Yes, building treasured memories.

No more faffing, the only way to find out if I'm up to one of these rides is to try. I'm in.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #28 on: 02 August, 2016, 12:50:37 pm »
Ooh I'm tempted by this again this year, but I think I might take the new MTB for it. It'll be a challenge to get round in the time limit, but I think I'd appreciate the MTB a lot on the military land. I'd be able to pootle along looking at the view, rather than looking out for potholes/ditches/stones to tear the tyres apart. Not that I had any problems last year on the carbon roadie, but, there was definitely a lot of looking at road surfaces and not the wonderful desolation of the big open space.

You're persuading me that I may be better off on the super heavy ancient Scott MTB rather than the Condor cross bike. The Scott has several 200km brevets to its credit but is a tad slow, well it's to be expected at 14.5kg!

« Reply #29 on: 02 August, 2016, 01:32:13 pm »

You're persuading me that I may be better off on the super heavy ancient Scott MTB rather than the Condor cross bike. The Scott has several 200km brevets to its credit but is a tad slow, well it's to be expected at 14.5kg!

TBH if I had a cross bike with decent cross tyres I'd go with that, but I have either a carbon roadie or a MTB so don't have that option, and cross tyres won't fit in the roadie frame. I have a few other events coming up for the MTB so I need all the time on it I can get anyway. I suspect my biggest issue will be lack of top end gears for the road sections as it's really set up for off-road and only has a 32 t upfront, so I am likely to run out of gears on downhills and flat bits which will probably have the biggest impact on whether I can hold enough speed or not. I might see if I can sort a bigger chainring for the front beforehand.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #30 on: 02 August, 2016, 06:39:26 pm »
Having got round just fine on a fairly standard audax setup a couple of years ago (700x25 and guards), I'd probably say a cross bike rather than an MTB. It is mostly on road after all.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #31 on: 06 August, 2016, 05:50:45 am »
I'm planning to ride my standard Audax bike as I quite enjoy nursing it along tracks.  I've very fond memories of the Strada Bianchi section of the Mille Miglia, which was done on 23mm tyres  :face palm:  There's quite a few times when exploring the few bits of Hampshire and Berkshire I haven't ridden where I go up a road thinking "Where does this go?", the tarmac has run out, and I can't be bothered to turn around.  The weather over the next week or so is forecast to be dry so its unlikely to be deeply muddy. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Vigna

• always climbing!
« Reply #32 on: 08 August, 2016, 07:58:57 pm »
I've decided to give this a go, first time, just hope the off road sections are as advertised "NB: This event has ~40Km of tracks - perfectly rideable, no rutted mudfests" Planning on doing an ECE there and back to make a decent, 400k, day of it. Anyone fancy joining me riding out from south-west London??

« Reply #33 on: 08 August, 2016, 08:25:39 pm »
I'm really looking forward to this year's ride.  It will be the third time I've done it.  I just love the tracks bit, especially the Ridgeway.  Even better, I've just had confirmation from Iddu that he has no objection to me(others?) riding the Ridgeway back to Sparsholt rather than following the road route.  He does advise that some sections of the additional Ridgeway might be tougher for Audax bikes due to mud and damage by other traffic.

Here's hoping that it is somewhat drier than last year!!!
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

SoreTween

« Reply #34 on: 08 August, 2016, 08:59:54 pm »
I've been looking at the ridgeway finish too, but then I remind myself of the distance leading up to that point and go back to checking train times  :facepalm:

Is this route correct?
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/9866144

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 09 August, 2016, 08:15:18 am »
I've been looking at the ridgeway finish too, but then I remind myself of the distance leading up to that point and go back to checking train times  :facepalm:

Is this route correct?
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/9866144
Well it matches what I remember from 2014, FWIW ...   iddu hasn't confirmed if the route is the same as 2015 (or 2014). Havent seen a routesheet - probably because I haven't entered yet! EDIT: fixed that now.

The return ridgeway bit will cost you a lot of time (it doesn't even save you many yards). Some need the time, some don't.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #36 on: 09 August, 2016, 08:48:53 am »
If by the Ridgeway finish you mean coming in from the West like this:

Ridgeway - Sparsholt by paulfulford, on Flickr

I'd be a little cautious on skinny tyres: the section from "3" is steep (up and down) and very rutted at the moment. Additionally the descent - where the route above turns left down to the B4057 is steep, rutted, a loose surface and several large potholes which may be filled with green slime. Fun on a mountain bike but on a road bike after 200k?

SoreTween

« Reply #37 on: 09 August, 2016, 10:46:27 am »
Thanks folks, I want to do as much prep as I can as I'm new to this and have made mistakes trying to follow cue sheets I've tried on my own. I'm assuming there won't be massive difference when the route sheet comes out
The Ridgeway finish really is academic interest, it's the sort of trail I usually seek out but I've never done remotely this distance first. 50:50 I'll bail at Melksham before the long last leg or go to Chippenham to complete an imperial century.
The bike would be up to the ridgeway, it's a gravelly adventure thing.  Me - very very unlikely.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #38 on: 09 August, 2016, 08:44:52 pm »
Checking it on Sun, so stuff  will go out after that....no definite changes planned
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #39 on: 09 August, 2016, 08:55:50 pm »
I'm currently using 35C Vittoria Voyager Hypers on my Audax bike and loving them.  I'm also able to drop down to a 16 inch gear if I need it as I use 44/32/22 up front and 12-36 at the back.  I remember being pretty tired towards the end of last years ride compared to the year before but I suspect that that was mainly due to the inclement weather.  If the final section of the Ridgeway is likely to be more technical rather than that just makes riding it more Audacious  :)

For me the worst bit of the ride is the descent down the gungy lane (Culston Hollow) at the end of the second Salisbury plain section.

« Reply #40 on: 14 August, 2016, 09:37:28 pm »
Well I am booked in for the ride and even sorted out a campsite for the night before. I am now unsure about which bike to use. Do I take my Trek Domane 2.0 road bike with 25 tyres? Or should I strip down my Dawes Galaxy with 32 tyres?

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #41 on: 15 August, 2016, 01:25:07 am »
Well I am booked in for the ride and even sorted out a campsite for the night before. I am now unsure about which bike to use. Do I take my Trek Domane 2.0 road bike with 25 tyres? Or should I strip down my Dawes Galaxy with 32 tyres?

Welcome to the 2016 Shake, Rattle & Roll Extravaganza - sing along now ;)

32's...

No shit, Sherlock.  The Road Gophers have been out...pay attention, esp. if you go from bright sunlight to dappled shade.

If it's as nice as today y'all have an excellent ride.

Sunset over Swindon - it almost makes it look pretty ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #42 on: 15 August, 2016, 06:58:01 am »
For me the worst bit of the ride is the descent down the gungy lane (Coulston Hollow) at the end of the second Salisbury plain section.
Must be bad - the google car hasn't made it down there!

(I don't actually remember this bit - but 75miles in is often a black hole in my memory, not sure why ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #43 on: 15 August, 2016, 09:28:59 am »
I rode on 23's last year, this year im riding on 32's  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #44 on: 15 August, 2016, 09:55:34 am »
Oh Dear.  Looking like another wet one  :-[

« Reply #45 on: 15 August, 2016, 10:14:28 am »
Got the email with details etc - thank you Iddu

Very much looking forward to a big day out now  ;D (rain or no rain!)

« Reply #46 on: 15 August, 2016, 10:15:59 am »
Thanks. In that case Dave the Dawes will have a day out in the country

« Reply #47 on: 15 August, 2016, 10:34:19 am »
Oh Dear.  Looking like another wet one  :-[
[/quotde]

Iddu always uses up the good weather allocation on the route check for his events and leaves the interesting weather for the calendar riders - it's traditional!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #48 on: 15 August, 2016, 11:10:56 am »
Iddu always uses up the good weather allocation on the route check for his events and leaves the interesting weather for the calendar riders - it's traditional!

Yeah, RIIIGHT... I blame Peter teh rain god; he's entered, so you're all doomed ;D

Well I do hope you all get a better day than for the route check /helper's ride yesterday

:facepalm:

« Reply #49 on: 15 August, 2016, 11:51:44 am »
;D
Probably my wettest day ever on a bike. 
I've not volunteered to help iddu on any of his rides since!