Author Topic: Organiser tips  (Read 10767 times)

Organiser tips
« on: 12 July, 2016, 09:54:16 am »
I'm organising my first brevet later this year and pretty happy with the way everything is going. All controls sorted, start list filling up nicely, promotional stuff sorted, etc.

Just wondering though, from the guys who've done this sort of thing before, if you could go back in time and give past you some advice before your first event, what would it be?

Re: Organiser tips
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2016, 09:01:29 am »
Make up a general tick list of every thing to do,

then print it off and tick off the relevant boxes when done.

Helps with the age thing.

If you want a copy pm me.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2016, 09:16:10 am »
Keep a record of food bought/used, including impulse and last-minute panic buys etc. Every time is different though - if hot, more drinks, ice, fruit, if cold, more comfort food etc. Makes it easier to figure things out next time, especially what works/doesn't work. After a few years that gets to be ingrained and easier when you scale up running a PBP qualifier  ;D

And remember your helpers will eat more than the riders  :demon:

Nice poster by the way.

« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2016, 12:28:42 pm »
Watch out for imposters. People put in block entries same paypal is the clue, and others will, if they can't ride offer the place about. Yes really happens. Apart from insurance issues it's a cheek.

« Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2016, 12:38:08 pm »
Oh and if you are taking entries o.t.l. charge a significant premium. Most of they have waited for the weather to ' be just right ' before deciding to spend a few pounds to ride. Dealing with them at the start is a significant amount of hassle.

« Reply #5 on: 13 July, 2016, 12:41:46 pm »
It's amazing how willing and helpful folk can be, when asked.

However:  don't make work for yourself.  A café in a town is easier to organise than a bod in a lay-by up a mountain.

« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2016, 04:38:33 pm »
^^^^^^^^ What they all said ^^^^^^^

Particularly on 300k rides and below - where possible use commercial controls - no worries about catering, food hygiene certs etc.. Obviously the start/arrivee might not be possible.

For 300k and longer rides, be mindful that you might have controls outside the normal open/close times. But if the event is in a warmer part of the year, 24/7 services maybe perfectly acceptable - the services at Sutton Scotney spring to mind.

For longer rides (600k+), I suppose you could plan a route to control near a travelodge/premier Inn type thing. Most motorway services have access from normal roads, the Leigh de la Mere services on the M4 have non-motorway access as standard.

As to the route, that largely depends on your location and the local catchment clientèle. Don't try and make the event something it's not. Don't be afraid to use NCRS,  local cycling by-ways etc.  Again the RA will have been done for you.

If you're likely to have a large field, don't be afraid to use a commercial caterer in a private hall, use them in the background and (say) your local club members at the front of house.

Talk to other organisers that are local to you. They will have loads of local knowledge that you might find valuable.

Be mindful of how you use commercial controls and their expectations. Be open and up-front about what you'd like from them and what you can do for them. Remember, sure they are greatful of the business - like you're greatful for not having Joe Schmo sat somewhere for hours on end. You might put £500 in their till once a year, but there are usually 364 other days when they have to make a living.

It might help get cyclists from further afield if you source for them info on local places to stay pre & post ride. This only needs to be WWW links. This can range from local camp sites to national hotel chains that might be local to the start/arrivee.

No matter what your event(s), always have a unique selling point.

I suppose in many ways organisers are a bit of a self-selecting group, but try not to let the cyclists see how stressed you might be. There's enough of that on the other side of the handlebars without you adding to it.Other than that, I haven't a clue
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Phil W

« Reply #7 on: 13 July, 2016, 05:22:55 pm »
There's an article by Tomsk about becoming an organiser (by accident) in the Spring 2013 edition of Arrivee which you'll be able to read online if you don't have a printed copy,

« Reply #8 on: 15 July, 2016, 09:02:58 am »
- Before the event, double check www.roadworks.org.uk for road closures in your locality

DESPATCHING RIDERS IS THE MOST INTENSIVE PERIOD....

- If you have small to medium sized field of riders - don't waste time handing out brevet cards. Place them in alphabetical order on a table. This will enable you to deal with entrants with complext questions. If you have a large field then recruit another person to distribute cards.

- If you have a large field, despatch the riders in groups of no more than 20 from the start gate. This will split the field and avoid problems out on the road.

- If you are using a venue with restricted parking, recruit a car park marshal.

- Self service breakfast materials will reduce demands on staffing. Eg, provision of a toaster, porridge pots with a kettle, bananas etc.

- Take extra bog roll in case the toilets run out of paper.

END OF THE DAY...

- If you are using a hall venue, recruit somebody to help clear up. After a long hard day the last thing you will need to undertake is cleaning.

AFTER THE EVENT....

ORGANISING AN EVENT CAN BE HARDER THAN RIDING THE EVENT ITSELF, so ensure that you take the following day off. Don't exhaust yourself further by completing the finisher's list as that can wait.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #9 on: 15 July, 2016, 09:07:24 am »
As new organiser myself this year I have been excited to receive entries online and a couple through the post so far.  A very recent experience at Huggy Towers leads to a tip to collect the post as it comes through the letterbox.
In an out of character act Mrs H's dog, Sydni the Shar Pei puppy, took a postal entry and ate it  :facepalm:
fortunately I have enough information legible on the form to know where it came from

Therefore if you have a similar K9 in the house I recommend that you get to the post first  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #10 on: 15 July, 2016, 10:55:02 am »
At the start, remind all the riders they should obey the Highway Code, and ride safely because the accident form is tedious. If there are any mishaps, can the Organiser have first refusal on the bike.
Nominate a rider to bring you a slice of bread pudding from the half way control. If they forget, they may as well go home because you'll rip up their card.
Announce that the best kept Brevet Card earns a free entry into your next event.

During the ride, keep your phone switched on, because you might be getting a cheap bike.
In the hours between the start and the finish control opening, go home and do some ironing.

Return to the finish half an hour before it opens. Any riders back early can be immediately disqualified for exceeding the maximum speed.

As soon as the finish time is up, put on your peaked cap and badge which says "It's more than my job's worth."

« Reply #11 on: 15 July, 2016, 11:12:54 am »
- If you are using a venue with restricted parking, recruit a car park marshal.

- Take extra bog roll in case the toilets run out of paper.

All great tips, but those two especially.

We ran a road race recently where somone had to drive 20 miles to get some toilet paper as we were perilously close to running out  ;D

The car park marshall tip is a good one too and something I overlooked. Despite being the car park marshall last time my club ran an event at this venue...  :facepalm:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #12 on: 15 July, 2016, 11:40:01 am »
Buy the amount of food that you'll definitely use, and then go out and buy more as necessary during the event, based on how many riders EOL/DNS.   

That assumes that you'll have time during the event to do this.  If you're manning controls yourself and will be busy all day, ignore me.

« Reply #13 on: 15 July, 2016, 01:07:59 pm »
What I really wanted, when I organized an event, was to see a set of income and expenditure accounts from an event of similar size, so that I had a basis on which to prepare a budget. So PM me if you'd like to see my accounts from an event with 113 entries.

« Reply #14 on: 15 July, 2016, 07:13:07 pm »
Buy food that if not used, can be taken home and put in the freezer. Cakes.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 16 July, 2016, 07:12:54 am »
What I really wanted, when I organized an event, was to see a set of income and expenditure accounts from an event of similar size, so that I had a basis on which to prepare a budget. So PM me if you'd like to see my accounts from an event with 113 entries.

£2 per rider per control visit was the LEL formula, I think. I use roughly that +50% as I tend towards the El Supremo/Mrs Doyle school of [over]feeding.
Sundry excess items can go to reward your helpers, long sell-by dates kept for your next/another organiser's event. A local old-folks home sometimes benefits from my events too...

« Reply #16 on: 16 July, 2016, 06:19:21 pm »
Yeah, I work on £2 a head when I'm doing controls for other people. The more home cooking you do, the better you can cater with that.

We're working on £3 for food at each control visit for LEL, but that's partly because on longer events people eat phenomenal amounts of food at each control.

It's easy to overestimate how much sweet stuff people will eat. It's not as much as you might think. So don't do what one organiser of a 200 I once rode did, and offer full catering at remote controls consisting entirely of cakes and biscuits.

And yes, only buy food you're prepared to eat yourself. Because you will almost certainly buy too much of something.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #17 on: 17 July, 2016, 10:24:49 am »
All the above.

What really worked on my first calendar event (back in March) as a new calendar organiser was to co-opt a couple of experienced organisers to run the desk — thank you Gareth and Tomsk  :thumbsup:  I think as a new organiser then you don't want to tie yourself to the desk, as you need to be across everything on the day, so having experienced hands do it for you is one less worry.  Experienced hands will bring any org-specific questions to you as they need to, but the other 99% of the time you just know it will get done properly and you can focus on the bigger picture and keep on top of the overall rider-experience at the start/finish.  Obviously for a fully x-rated event without a village-hall start/arrivée then you may do something different, but even a car-park start with a large field can benefit from this.

What also worked for me was being able to ask three experienced organisers specific questions about organising an event in the months leading up to the event — Tomsk, Gareth and Kieron, again thank you  :thumbsup:  I found their insight invaluable beforehand as regards preparation, budgeting, catering, etc.  Many "unknowns" became "knowns" and on the day it went very smoothly (I like to think).  I found it also helps to arrive early at other people's events and sit and watch the organiser/helper dynamics and note how they go about running the event — helping on someone else's event from setting up to clearing out also really helps. 

I think the critical time on the event is the 20 minutes before the start — there's a sudden surge in riders at the desk, all wanting a quick coffee, all crowding the space, and nobody wants to leave after the main bunch, so the onus is on you and your team to get them all seen to.  Once you're through that and the ride has started then the rest of the day is really quite relaxed, as the team can deal with riders one-at-a-time without the pressure of the start time hanging over them.  An extra pair or two of hands to get you through the surge at the start is useful — you probably won't need as many helpers at the finish.

FWIW, I checked my numbers and, although we made a small cash loss, we made a small amortised profit (after accounting for the purchase of re-usable items) — essentially a float for setting up the next event.  I went into the first event with the idea that I didn't know enough to ensure a profit, so I would accept the risk and not worry too much — gaining the experience was more important.  I now know more than I did, and I have a couple of boxes of kit (toasters, left-over disposable cups and plates, traffic cones, etc.) that I won't need to buy next time, so reducing the personal financial risk at my next event.

We spent about £2 per head on food, disposable cups and cutlery based on the number of entrants (200), of which 75% turned up so in effect that was about £2.67 per head.  We (Mrs W) cooked and baked most of the food; the only commercially bought food was the snacks, sandwich-making stuff and drinks.

The changes I'd make next time would only be in the details: more bananas and pocket food at the start and a bit less cake at the finish.  Fresh bakery rolls instead of Tesco pre-pack.  And work out how to get sandwich fillings to be less than about 70p per sandwich — pre-sliced cheese and ham is eye-wateringly expensive when you divide the pack price by the number of slices!

Oh, one more thing: keeping a detailed record of income and expenditure enables you to do two things — reminder to yourself when planning your next event and help others just setting out; and convince the taxman that you really did make a small loss (assuming you did), so no tax is payable, should they ask ...
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #18 on: 10 August, 2016, 12:21:15 pm »
Is it worth capping numbers on a first time event to help give everything its best chance to go OK?

Got around 80 entries to my ride so far, with about a month to go. Breaking even isn't an issue at this point and I think I'd rather have a well run event over a well attended event.

Or is dealing with 80 riders the same as dealing with 180?

« Reply #19 on: 10 August, 2016, 12:28:54 pm »
On my first event, I spent £1 per head on Bananas and cupcakes for the start. Hardly anyone took any so I stopped providing food.
It took me over two months to eat four dozen cupcakes from the freezer. I gave the bananas to two ladies at the craft centre who said they make banana bread.
“Use it or lose it” is the message here to Audax riders who are offered free food.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #20 on: 10 August, 2016, 12:30:28 pm »
80 entries is not the same as 80 riders.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 10 August, 2016, 12:32:27 pm »
I'm very happy to eat food that I like but can't see the point of forcing down something unappetising. Perhaps you should have offered something more tempting, Ning?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #22 on: 10 August, 2016, 12:36:00 pm »
80 entries is not the same as 80 riders.

Oh yes, I get that! Thinking out loud the other day, maybe cap it at 120, with the expectation of having around 80-90 on the start line.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #23 on: 10 August, 2016, 01:05:23 pm »
Just for some reference (as I just did my first events):

83 entries (excluding notified DNS)

62 on the road

This was on a glorious sunny day as well.

So, your cap seems sensible.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Martin

« Reply #24 on: 10 August, 2016, 11:03:33 pm »
I took over a full service event (hall start, all catering supplied including lunch elsewhere on the route) and carried it on in the same fashion as that's what the riders liked and got; it took many years effort to get and keep the team going. I still run it but it's a huge amount of work; my other events are far more humble. Keep your helpers happy work as a team and make them feel vital is key!

so my advice is start with as little requirements / overheads / helpers as possible and grow it from there. Even with zero facilities (which my 200 has) 80-100 riders is an hell of a lot to process just from an admin POV; don't assume every rider will be able to download the route sheet / gpx / find the start / pay to enter; you will get lots of emails and phone calls in the days before and on the day. Plus all those cards to order and label or hand write; make time for this among your hundred other jobs before the day! I personally think it's worth offering limited entries on the day if possible as it makes the event more inclusive and they will usually just be taking DNS places but make sure people know it's limited and preferably good to know who's coming so you can get their cards etc ready (Paypal has pretty much eliminated these if you are happy to close at midnight a day or two before)

Buy food that if not used, can be taken home and put in the freezer. Cakes.

and non-perishable stuff like tinned soup / hot dogs / chewy bars / parbaked bread (if you have the facility to bake it at the event) that can be used next year or for next week's lunch