Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3901971 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21375 on: 24 September, 2017, 07:57:57 pm »
Yesterday I got up early and set out into the dark and rainy morning, across the Severn Bridge to Chepstow for the Border Castles audax. I confess that when I got outside and found it was raining, I almost went back indoors. Riding down the hill, the rain hit me and I got pretty cold. Then I got to the flat bit and started pedalling, I began to warm up and the rain seemed a bit less. Hardly any traffic, no wind, my dynamo lights shining brightly, a lovely morning to haul yourself out of bed at urgh o'clock! In fact it was a pretty warm day, even in the mist of the Forest of Dean in the morning. So off we went for 205km of Herefordshire and Monmouthshire hilly goodness, including the famous* Star Hill. As the name suggests, taking in four castles, and it would be an easy matter to see a fifth by turning left in Raglan. In fact, anyone with a mind to and a map could probably find several more no more than a mile or so diversion from the route. My favourites being Grosmont and White; the pub in the former village, the Angel, deserves a special mention for the friendly, helpful barmaid who brought a cup of tea to the table – yeah, a pub with waitress service! – and the good-humoured crowd of locals.

Arriving back in Chepstow, there was an extremely loud rock band playing in the arrivee pub, and the organiser congratulating everyone (and explaining the 'trick question'). Then I went to get some chips, in true audax style, but the chippy was closed so I got a Chinese takeaway. Sat on a bench on the road out of town eating my Singapore vegetable chow mein (or was it chop suey?) in the dark, I could hardly even see it. I'm not really a fan of Chinese takeaway food but it tasted good in the circumstances!

I think I'll be making my own ride to visit some of the castles again, and riding this event again next year.  :thumbsup:

*Famous if you've heard of it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21376 on: 25 September, 2017, 12:13:17 pm »
Gutted I missed this, as it was my first 200km a couple of years ago. The pub in Grosmont is ace due to the lack of toilet, so you have to use the public one 20yds down the road  :o

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21377 on: 25 September, 2017, 12:38:22 pm »
They've got a toilet now but you have to go outside then through a side door, opposite the covered market (I presume that's what the stone building with an open ground floor is). Still an ace pub though.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #21378 on: 25 September, 2017, 01:36:25 pm »
4 hours jaunt across the hills and valleys of the Correze.  Got very satisfactorily lost and well overshot my objective - Segur le Chateau - before hitting a main road and discovering where I was.  I never reached Segur but enjoyed my ride.

Have done a bit of research and got some pics onto photo*ucket:

Having descended into a deep and rather gloomy valley I bottomed out at this attractive medieval bridge and stopped to take my pics.

After crossing the bridge there was this notice at the start of a rough track

In this part of France memorials to the resistance, usually shot by the roadside, are all over the place but this particular incident was a massacre.  The circumstances are described on this web page in English:

http://resistancefrancaise.blogspot.fr/2011/06/le-pont-lasveyras-16-fevrier-1944.html

Going nearly a kilometre along the rough track I found that what little is left of the mill is now a tiny museum. I didn't go in as I shall go back with more time.  There is almost no signage to the site, you either know it's there or find it by chance as I did.

* never that easy!
Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21379 on: 27 September, 2017, 07:53:23 pm »
In view of the weather, we did the last 2017 after-work ride an hour earlier than usual.  Got a bit grim as the rain set in.  Rule 5.  Colleague fell off and cracked elbow.  Soon resolved with a pint back in Swindon.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21380 on: 27 September, 2017, 07:56:08 pm »
Last of the year? October is usually lovely!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21381 on: 27 September, 2017, 08:16:26 pm »
I got a local train to Lichfield, then rode to Ashbourne.  Am now loitering within tent.  Well, technically I'm loitering within TV room, because it's absolutely chucking it down, and this has sofas and electrons.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21382 on: 29 September, 2017, 09:20:36 am »
A couple of 75-ish km rides this week, both with El Prez, one a desperate search for a coffee-shop open on a Monday, the other a trot up to our favourite Italian ice-cream shop in Dahn.  Crossing into Germany is a gluteal delight: you go from ultra-vibratory chip'n'seal to wondrous smooth tarmac, marred only by rattle-your-teeth daubs of tar on eroded forest roads. Excellent cycle tracks most of the way, though.

Also came across this excellent object in one German village:

Complete with sliding spanner, tyre levers, flat & crosshead screwdrivers, a set of Allen keys and a table of tyre pressures in metric and imperial.  Makes a nice change from gravel and verbal abuse.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21383 on: 29 September, 2017, 09:23:34 am »
There are some similar devices spotted around UK, without SKS (or other) branding. Either installed in public spaces/pavements by keen councils or in supermarket car parks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21384 on: 29 September, 2017, 10:05:04 am »
I got a local train to Lichfield, then rode to Ashbourne.  Am now loitering within tent.  Well, technically I'm loitering within TV room, because it's absolutely chucking it down, and this has sofas and electrons.
Day 2 started with my tent in a muddy puddle.  Fortunately I was able to transfer most of the contents to the TV room, where the cleaners took pity on me and supplied a bulk roll of paper towels for the stuff which, by necessity, I hadn't squirreled away in Ortliebs.  My sleeping bag remained high and dry, which is the main thing.

So, after a late start, up the Tissington Trail (surprisingly hard work fully loaded), then down (and up and down) to Bakewell.

Except just after the first down, two MAMILs on road bikes overtook, and then - through a combination of inattention and badly-timed braking - touched wheels.  MAMIL #2 endoed spectacularly, landing square on his hip, conscious, but showing no inclination to move.  I advised against dragging him to the side of the road, wrapped him in a space blanket and rounded up his bike and tools/water bottles to make room for cars to pass, while MAMIL #1 had a frustrating conversation with a 999 operator.  It seems that they really can't cope with anything that isn't a postal address - that we were at the junction of two major roads didn't seem to mean anything, and they didn't seem enthusiastic about WGS84 lat/long or OS grid coordinates.

Cue that dreadful task of talking bollocks with an injured person to make sure they were still with it, while wondering when an ambulance was going to turn up.  MAMIL #2 was delighted to hear that his bike appeared to have escaped with only minor scuffing to the shifters and a damaged saddle (I expect that YACF will be too), though I don't think he's going to be riding it any time soon.

After a while an off-duty first reponder rocked up in a serious 4x4 with flashing blue lights and teh good drugz, so I left them (and a local motorist who had stopped and put his car in a prominent position) to get on with it.

All that waiting had eaten up my lunch buffer, so the rest of the ride had to be completed using minimal-faff tactics so that I'd stand a chance of my tent drying out properly.  On that basis I took the A619/621 route from Bakewell to Sheffield, which is a right slog of a climb, but not too hideous by rural A-road standards.  Through Sheffield using a combination of out of date local knowledge and Garmin's 'helpful' routing advice, dodged Meadowhell via a bastard hill, and across Rotherham as quickly as my tired legs would manage, via a flying visit to a supermarket for supplies.

I arrived at the campsite (wrong side of the tracks south of Mexborough) with just enough time to get the tent and underside of my Downmat an approximation of dry, and opted for an early night.

It's now Friday morning.  I'm supposed to be riding to the other side of York, but instead I'm hiding in the tent while it pisses it down.  The radar image suggests that if I wait it out, I'll only have a wet outer to deal with, so I've plotted an alternative route that involves a bit less Sustrans and a bit more soul destroying road with Drax failing to get any bigger on the horizon.  Hopefully I'll be able to make up the difference...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21385 on: 29 September, 2017, 10:38:59 am »
:thumbsup:

Good luck with the weather.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21386 on: 29 September, 2017, 11:36:08 pm »
It's now Friday morning.  I'm supposed to be riding to the other side of York, but instead I'm hiding in the tent while it pisses it down.  The radar image suggests that if I wait it out, I'll only have a wet outer to deal with, so I've plotted an alternative route that involves a bit less Sustrans and a bit more soul destroying road with Drax failing to get any bigger on the horizon.  Hopefully I'll be able to make up the difference...

Didn't get moving until nearly 12.  Packed up a spectacularly wet tent, but a dry everything else.  Apart from the kit I was wearing, which was also soaked.  Gave it the beans for the duration of the ride and maaged to make Drax get appreciably bigger. Noticed a bit of a headwind as I passed Ricall post office, which seems about right for the heliopause.  Got a photo of the Voyager 1 model, whose instrument package looks suspiciously like a 1980s camcorder with a ball-cock and a Pentium2 heatsink bolted on.

Carefully resisted the temptation of the CrinklyDen, but did stop and buy (amongst other things) some kitchen roll.  Arrived at a very boggy site with about an hour of daylight remaining and was able to reduce the tent to merely 'damp'.  Have discovered welts where my shorts pad was rubbing in the wet, which is suboptimal.  No sign of trench foot, but the weekend is young...

(Photo taken the following morning, for illustration purposes only.)

I can hear nonspecifically soggy noises from all directions.  And Nye doesn't appear to have gone to sleep yet.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21387 on: 30 September, 2017, 09:52:40 am »
Oh dear.  And I got an extra dose of sunburn yesterday.  Took this on the way home (somewhere near that lump on the horizon):

[bigly]

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21388 on: 30 September, 2017, 10:12:42 am »
I haven't gone out today. Not yet anyway. I'm supposed to be past Malmesbury by now but instead I'm sitting at home wondering what's making the bubbling noises in my stomach. I reckon it's a small dragon, probably Ivor.

And Nye doesn't appear to have gone to sleep yet.
Are you stoking Nye? Or have you stolen his Mummy too?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #21389 on: 30 September, 2017, 06:52:56 pm »
I had a very last minute change of plans for this weekend (which did involve cycling).  Instead, I went out locally with the intention of cycling at least 50km (to take me over 1,000km for the month, again).  I decided to start with checking out Quietway 6 which runs not to far from me.  The whole thing isn't 'open', with Phase 1 (Mile End to Barkingside) to go live in "autumn 2017.  Less than half of that is sign-posted so far.  Some of it is nice, more is crappe, almost none of it is new infrastructure, or even old for that matter.  My personal 'favourite' of the signed but is cutting through Valentine park - which closes at dusk.  Of course there are no detour signs for when the park is closed.  On the un-signed section, it looks like there will be a lift involved!  I may post some photos later.

Just for laughs I may try Q2 (Walthamstow - Bloomsbury) tomorrow.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #21390 on: 30 September, 2017, 09:07:44 pm »

I arrived at the campsite (wrong side of the tracks south of Mexborough) with just enough time to get the tent and underside of my Downmat an approximation of dry, and opted for an early night.

There's a campsite at Mexborough? Why?
Hear all, see all, say nowt

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21391 on: 30 September, 2017, 09:54:27 pm »
Not much this week, wife has been away in Sweden, so a quick hour before she left on Sunday, an hour while we had a carer in on Friday and another hour today.  Total about 86km. Will try adn get out laid back for a couple of hours tomorrow.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21392 on: 30 September, 2017, 11:16:25 pm »

There's a campsite at Mexborough? Why?
Fishing, apparently.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21393 on: 01 October, 2017, 10:58:39 am »
On Saturday, a several of kilometres on a trike, ICE Vortex, which is quite uncommon in Oz. The property of my mate Animal, he was riding his Greenspeed. Around the same time, I had a quick spin round the Nundah criterium circuit on Aussie George's high bike, which he built himself.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

ElyDave

« Reply #21394 on: 01 October, 2017, 12:23:40 pm »
How does the vortex ride? Comfy, or spine crunching?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21395 on: 01 October, 2017, 03:35:43 pm »
A doleful 50k trot, flat as last year's pint, through maybe a dozen villages without finding a single café open.  Like crossing the effing desert, it was. I blame the guvvermint.

ElyDave

« Reply #21396 on: 01 October, 2017, 08:24:51 pm »
turbo trainer only, howling gale here of the kind to put you in a ditch.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21397 on: 02 October, 2017, 04:02:53 am »

It uses narrow Durano tyres, rather than the heavier 1.75-2.0" tyres on Animal's Greenspeed. The longer wheelbase and larger rear wheel helps the Vortex but the difference between rough and smooth blacktop was pretty obvious.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

ElyDave

« Reply #21398 on: 03 October, 2017, 02:41:16 pm »

It uses narrow Durano tyres, rather than the heavier 1.75-2.0" tyres on Animal's Greenspeed. The longer wheelbase and larger rear wheel helps the Vortex but the difference between rough and smooth blacktop was pretty obvious.

I have a 28mm GP 4 season on the rear of the M5 at 700c, and a marathon on the front 26" wheel at the mo. I tend to run the rear at lower pressure than on my upright using the same tyres for similar sorts of reasons.  You can really feel the difference round here when you get to a road that's been loved, rather than an arse end of nowhere track.

« Reply #21399 on: 03 October, 2017, 02:50:04 pm »
Cheltenham to Saul, 750 metres of climbing. Lack of fitness saw me dropped by one of the slower groups,
with whom I have ridden strongly with in years gone by. Double bass practice has taken priority over cycling
during the past 12 months. I don't regret it one bit.