Author Topic: Garmin Edge Touring avoidance setup  (Read 2262 times)

Garmin Edge Touring avoidance setup
« on: 09 July, 2017, 08:19:54 pm »
A simple question: I have read in several places that the recommended navigation settings included disabling the options ("unpaved roads" and"narrow trails") under "avoidance settings - select items to avoid"). But I can't work out what the "disabled" setting is - there is a button that shows an orange bar when you slide it to the right and a black bar when you slide it to the left. Neither of those colours shouts out to me that it means "disabled" or "not disabled", and the manual offers so guidance - so can someone enlighten me as to which setting is which?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Garmin Edge Touring avoidance setup
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2017, 09:00:20 pm »
The bars are "switches" - black, dot to the left is OFF (i.e. disabled)

The words manual and Garmin do not go together in any semblance of logic!   Detail is notoriously poor, although much of the software is fairly intuitive.

Rob

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2017, 09:08:05 pm »

So that's a double negative.  The avoidance is disabled, ie OFF='these roads are routable'.   ???
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 09 July, 2017, 09:56:14 pm »

This is one of my UI pet hates.  It relies on colour or subtle 3D shading to make it clear what the state is.  What's wrong with good old-fashioned tickyboxes?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2017, 10:45:46 am »
The problem really lies right there in the OP:
... the recommended navigation settings included disabling the options ("unpaved roads" and"narrow trails") under "avoidance settings ...

What exactly does that mean?  Is it recommended to have unpaved roads navigable - or not?  If not (as I rather suspect), then the 'avoid' option needs to be ENabled, not DISabled.

Incidentally I know that a lot of cyclists have 'avoid U-turns' selected - seems pointless to me since U-turns are usually very easy to do on a bicycle, even when they are forbidden to other traffic.  If a U-turn shortens a route, then a cyclist should want to know about it.
Toll roads on the other hand - if you avoid toll roads don't you risk wiping out the whole of central London?
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2017, 03:05:14 pm »
Having it set to avoid U-turns means it'll show you the route that you can take as an alternative to making a U-turn to get  back on course.  Disabling that means it just tells you what you already know - that you should have gone that way.  "Avoid U-turns" makes it more informative, even if you then choose to make a U-turn and let it recalculate.