Author Topic: Hilleberg Nallo 3GT and footprint interfacing  (Read 2093 times)

Hilleberg Nallo 3GT and footprint interfacing
« on: 04 August, 2017, 02:51:38 pm »
A while back I bought a second hand Nallo 3GT. Both times I've used it the weather has been somewhat inclement, so not a lot of opportunity to experiment with pitching technique - thought I'd try here to supplement my limited experience with it.

One of either of the two previous owners has attached bungee cord loops to the two foremost toggles that attach the footprint to the door at the end of the tunnel (ie not the side door).

I've yet to suss whether they're there simply as visual markers to help orientate the footprint, or whether they serve some useful function. Last time I used the tent I tried leaving those toggles untoggled and hooked the loops over the pegs holding out the front door of the outer. This seemed too slack, so I ended up making multiple turns around the tent pegs.

Neither time pitching the tent have I managed to get the outer particularly taught, so I was wondering if maybe slackening off the footprint sort of thing might have something to do with that.

What are other people's experiences of pitching Nallos with a footprint? Any idea what the bungee cords were intended to do?

Re: Hilleberg Nallo 3GT and footprint interfacing
« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2017, 07:32:35 pm »
Hi nikki,

I have a Nallo 2GT and keep the tent, fly and footprint attached to one another and pitch as one unit. The only exception is when the weather is wet and I want to keep the inner tent dry. Then I disassemble in the shelter of the fly and take that down last. Very handy for cycle-camping when moving on to another campsite.

If the cords across the fly from pole to pole are set to the correct length, there shouldn't be an over-tensioning issue. There's a lot of good info on the Hilleberg website, including pitching instructions. I've no idea what the bungees were used for!

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2017, 09:16:05 pm »
Thanks Martin,

I've started packing everything away as one unit after I'm back home and things have been de-mudded and dried. Much fun swearing as I try and wrangle all the fabric in my tiny flat!

Having just read through bits of the Hilleberg site I think I could benefit from paying more attention to the door straps and floor cords.

Probably what I really need to do more of though, is going camping in the summer!

« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2017, 11:19:07 pm »

« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2017, 12:20:42 pm »
Maybe; although it doesn't quite seem like the right tool for the job - which the loops the toggles are on anyway would probably be adequate for.

Took me a while to realise that configuration in the photos is how I had mine set up for most of the weekend, but with an awning over the front!

« Reply #5 on: 05 August, 2017, 01:09:13 pm »
Maybe; although it doesn't quite seem like the right tool for the job - which the loops the toggles are on anyway would probably be adequate for.
The loops would let you use the main pegs without having to move them or repeatedly unhook/rehook the toggles from the rings on the outer. Usefulness would depend on how often you had the end open, particularly at the same pitch.