Author Topic: Cpap vs BiPap  (Read 1764 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Cpap vs BiPap
« on: 07 August, 2017, 06:56:30 pm »
whats the differences?

I'm looking into purchasing automatic one as every time I go for the test I am just one point shy of getting one. Cpaps seem harder to get that Bipaps.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: Cpap vs BiPap
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2017, 07:10:05 pm »
CPAP is for people who can't oxygenate. BiPAP is for people who retain CO2. This is a gross oversimplification obv.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2017, 04:11:23 pm »
Hi,

I work for ResMed and I highly recommend giving us a ring if you need help.  Im not a clinician but we have plenty who can help.

Essentially a CPAP blows one continuous pressure that should be set by your sleep consultant.   A Bipap (also known as APAP) can have two levels set so you get a lower pressure blowing when you breath out.   This obviously makes everything more comfortable and increases the chance of you keeping to the treatment.   Some Apaps will vary pressure to suit you automatically.  APAP and BPAP are normally recommended for those with low oxygen levels or cardiopulmonary disorders.

Everyone should really buy a Bipap or Apap if its a private sale.   They don't cost much more than CPAP...... Which is why the NHS will normally only give you a CPAP.

For what its worth I think our Air sense 10 range of devices and the AirFit masks are about the best thing out there ...but then im biased....although I don't get paid to sing our praises in anyway.  Its just good kit.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2017, 10:44:00 pm »
At the moment my two choices are the Philips Respisonics Bipap Focus and the Resmed S9 Auto with H5i humidifier. Both are around the £350 mark excl hose and mask. I can't decide between the two. How much are they new?

I suffer from obstructive sleep apnea to the extant that anyone who shares the room with me will generally end up staying awake to make sure I'm still breathing cos I do stop for upto a minute, in which i jolt awake.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2017, 09:01:49 am »
At the moment my two choices are the Philips Respisonics Bipap Focus and the Resmed S9 Auto with H5i humidifier. Both are around the £350 mark excl hose and mask. I can't decide between the two. How much are they new?

I suffer from obstructive sleep apnea to the extant that anyone who shares the room with me will generally end up staying awake to make sure I'm still breathing cos I do stop for upto a minute, in which i jolt awake.

Are you buying this as a private patient or is the choice what is being offered by the NHS?

The S9 is a great device but it is very nearly obsolete (replaced by air sense 10)  If you get it through the nhs then this isn't a problem because if it goes wrong you will get an airsense as replacement.   If you are buying private then I wouldn't buy an S9 as the parts will start to become obsolete very soon.

Personally I don't see why anyone would buy the Phillips over ResMed.   The ResMed is a better device and I really do rate our customer service very highly.   We are a bit more expensive than the competitors but the patient backup is very good here.  We are encouraged to do everything we can to help patients get on with the treatment.   The ResMed masks are in my opinion way ahead of our competitors now and we have just launce the new series which have more testing and innovation that anything else out there.   Generally the only reason for not buying ResMed stuff will be that we are a little bit more expensive than the competitors.

I don't work in the uk side of the business but Im in the same room as the customer service team and I highly recommend speaking to them - 08009177071.   

« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2017, 09:13:22 am »
On pricing ... for a private sale we do the Autoset 10 Autoset (APAP), with a built in humidifier + heated tubing and 90 day trial of remote therapy for £636.   

The S9 Escape CPAP is now the only S9 device we sell and that is £351.   The reason it is cheap is because of pending obsolesce though.   I think the S9 Autoset used to be around £500 + £100 for humidifier.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2017, 01:48:33 am »
This would be a private sale. Sadly I'm hesitant to spend more than £300 on something I might not like.

Got any refurbs lying? :-D

Any thoughts on the Escape II?

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2017, 11:13:39 am »
BiPap is a trademark for what's called 'pressure support' ventilation.

CPAP (continuous positive airways pressure) produces a positive pressure in the airways to help keep them open during the entire breathing cycle (in obstructive sleep apnoea the airways close during inspiration). With CPAP,  the patient does all the work of breathing.

In BiPap/PS, the ventilator senses the patient's inspiratory effort and provides extra air flow to help the patient breath, in addition to the CPAP support.

Which one is best for you is something I couldn't comment on and is best decided between you and your respiratory medicine/sleep consultant.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo