Author Topic: UPS Mess  (Read 1402 times)

Afasoas

UPS Mess
« on: 13 August, 2017, 09:14:42 am »
Old rack layout:

New rack layout (excuse the dog awful picture):

As you can see a few things have changed. Biggest change is the UPS (bottom)

+ve
A whole 6U free for installation of a lab
An network enabled power distribution unit (IP PDU) so I can switch things on and off remotely. Should mean I can stop the backup server eating through 8W when it's shutdown and I don't have to keep the theoretical lab's switches switched on 24/7 to wake-on-LAN the rest of it.

-ve
"New" UPS is incredibly inefficient
The IP PDU seems to have a 10W overhead (with all the sockets enabled)
The IP PDU seems to be bricked

Hopefully the purchase of the right serial cable means I can unbrick the IP PDU. And if not, I'm getting a second one in part exchange for the original UPS.

This morning I have mainly been doing research into efficient rackmount UPSen. If I pony up for a newer APC SMT UPS, power consumption should go back to being something reasonable. Theoretically.

I'll of course be looking out for some kind of second/third hand bargain, at those sorts of prices.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
Re: UPS Mess
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2017, 01:09:03 pm »
I recognise the handiwork of UPS-Trader :)

Those UPS network cards need a special dance to gain access - which exact model do you have?
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Afasoas

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2017, 06:51:32 pm »
Well spotted squire, that is indeed UPS Traders work.

The good news is that I've got the IP PDU working! The chap I'd acquired it from had given it an IP in my networks range but it was setup in a /24 rather than a /21. Discovered completely by fluke when I tried to telnet into it from the server (which just happens to be in the same third octet as the IP PDU) rather than my desktop. All reconfigured and I'm now doing a bit of scripting with it to make it dance, before switching it over to use SSH.

Further good news is that I've snapped up a cheap SMT750RMI2U complete with one of those expensive smart card doo hickeys (RRP £350) - I suspect between selling that and the old UPS I'll cover the cost of replacement.

Afasoas

« Reply #3 on: 18 August, 2017, 09:38:53 pm »

smt750rmi2u fitted.
Claims to run a load of 65 Watts at 90% efficiency.
Power meter shows a draw of 150W, but I figure these over inflated figures might be the result of a resistive load from the UPS and actual power usage might not be as high as the apparent power usage?