Author Topic: New York, New York...  (Read 5031 times)

ian

Re: New York, New York...
« Reply #25 on: 15 October, 2017, 11:38:26 am »
$7 isn't bad going for a beer in the US these days (mind you, $3.50 'hardhat specials' in the bar around the corner from the mothership and they don't seem to enforce the hardhat requirement – yeah, yeah, I know, take it to the helmet thread).

As you've probably learned, it's probably best not to fight with the LIR schedules and take the E, it takes longer but it's generally less hassle.

Go catch the Manhattan skyline from Gantry Plaza State Park in Queens or the Brooklyn Heights Promenade, especially at sunset, it's cool to watch the sun go down and the buildings light up.

« Reply #26 on: 15 October, 2017, 12:34:32 pm »
A single “cabin” at The Jane hotel.

Legs for scale...

https://twitter.com/andrewxclark/status/919515937757454336
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #27 on: 15 October, 2017, 06:21:35 pm »
You might, of course, simply have giant legs.

« Reply #28 on: 15 October, 2017, 06:45:02 pm »
Walked up the Hudson as far as The Intrepid thing, then inland on W46th Street. A tent pitched on the pavement just down from a place offering to discreetly armour your limo.
Massive breakfast at the Galaxy diner, eggs, bacon, potatoes & waffles with syrup. Walked up to Lincoln Centre & admired the massive Henry Moore, then down Broadway & into Central Park. Currently in the wonderful Frick Collection.

« Reply #29 on: 16 October, 2017, 08:45:24 pm »
Update from Yesterday, walked along 5th Avenue looking at shiny stuff in the shops, back onto Broadway & a beer at an open air place opposite the Flatiron. Walked back to the hotel at dusk. Read a bit & had beer & pizza in their restaurant. Quieter than last night.

Up this morning & out, not as warm as yesterday & I’m only wearing a T shirt. Down the riverside towards the Battery, with views over to the Statue of Liberty. A memorial to the (first) Korean War, and a monument to immigration.

Walked over the Brooklyn Bridge & back, then a quick wander through the financial district & back to Broadway. I’d missed breakfast so a baguette & yogurt at Pret. Turned left towards Greenwich Village , decided to sit down in a little park & realised I’m right opposite the Stonewall Inn. That explains all the rainbow flags then.

« Reply #30 on: 17 October, 2017, 06:49:01 pm »
FWIW the one time I've been to NY, it was for a four day stay, and my work was completed in around 6hrs.
I had three and a half days to kill and I walked everywhere. OK, I didn't see all of NY, but I did get to see lots.
Biggest PITA was that MoMA was being refurbished at the time, and most of their exhibits were either on remote sites or in storage.
Severally disappointing, that was.

« Reply #31 on: 17 October, 2017, 10:28:32 pm »
Dear Bob, the Met Museum is heyuuuge! 6 hours & I only saw less than half the European paintings. Will have to pay another $25 to see the 19th & 20th C stuff later in the week.

« Reply #32 on: 27 October, 2019, 12:05:25 am »
I've just realised I never uploaded my photos from this trip! 

Here they are - https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewclark/albums/72157711510897641

Slideshow button at top right.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #33 on: 27 October, 2019, 07:49:34 am »
Briliant set of pix .... everything you image is in NYC.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been there in the last 30 years BUT I'm not going again until they get rid of the (dyed) blond-haired buffoon that's running the country     :hand:

Rob