Author Topic: Should I sell?  (Read 1688 times)

Should I sell?
« on: 23 August, 2017, 08:55:59 pm »
Many of you already know that very soon I will be forsaking the 3t Morphe drops on my much loved and used Thorn Audax (753 708 653 531c tubed) bike and going flat bar for the last year or two of my solo riding.  I have been toying with the idea of mounting the bike on the wall at home as I already have virtually all the parts necessary to build up it's replacement.

However, opinion seems divided and some folk say that a decent bike should be ridden and not simply displayed.  Out on the road today we bumped into a small local ctc group and one of them admired the bike.  I jokingly asked if he wanted to buy it and immediately another in the group jumped in and expressed an interest.

I really don't know what to do.  I love the bike and would so love to have it on the wall but I also know that it rides like a dream and would be cherished by somebody who was going to use it on a regular basis.

What would you do and why?     

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Should I sell?
« Reply #1 on: 23 August, 2017, 09:23:16 pm »
Sell it. It's a bike, meant to be ridden not gather dust on a wall

« Reply #2 on: 23 August, 2017, 09:25:08 pm »
Sell it. It's a bike, meant to be ridden not gather dust on a wall

+1

Mount the most memorable photograph of it and hang that on the wall instead!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 23 August, 2017, 09:45:30 pm »
Wot they said.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2017, 09:59:49 pm »
I don't think it is that easy, and it is going to get harder.

First, this is nothing to do with the cash. it's all to do with your memories and feelings.

If you think that the person who is buying it will appreciate it as much as YOU WANT IT TO BE APPRECIATED, then pass it on. If not, mount it on your wall, look at it and remember the good times. The value to you hasn't stopped just because you've stopped riding it.

Of course if you don't have room for it, then whatever works to shift it.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2017, 11:00:43 pm »
Keep it pros:
Your memories

cons:
Somebody is going to have to dust it.
Do you really want to look at something every day and say "If only"

Sell it pros:
The money
Bikes are meant to be ridden let it run free

Cons:
It's yours dammit.

What would I do? Probably leave it in the garage too long while I failed to make a decision.

« Reply #6 on: 25 August, 2017, 11:42:10 am »
Think of the dusting :hand:

For memories, photos are better. And easier to dust.
Move Faster and Bake Things

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #7 on: 25 August, 2017, 11:59:21 am »
If you want to put it on the wall, then do that. It depends what's going to make you happier.

If you sell it to somebody, will you get more satisfaction out of knowing that it's being used?

If you want to put it on the wall, then do that. I think that sounds fairly awesome, I'd love to see it. It would be a talking point and a constant reminder of the time you had riding it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 01 September, 2017, 08:08:44 pm »
Not a photo of the bike but a photo of you riding it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9 on: 01 September, 2017, 08:20:11 pm »
I've finally made a decision which I hope is the right one.

The frame came to me after our terrible burglary in 2012 and it got me back on two wheels.   Without that frame I would have probably not got back on the bike as I'd been off the saddle for about four months and didn't feel like cycling.   Now I'm moving to a different frame and a flat bar instead of drop bar setup but I'm still riding.  So, the bike will be stripped of what I need to get the other frame rolling and the rest will go for sale in the hope that somebody will take it over, ride it, love it.

Long after I go blind I will have many happy memories of riding Sloe (black Thorn) so I will not need a sentimental dust trap to remind me.

« Reply #10 on: 01 September, 2017, 08:32:40 pm »
Good choice PB. I'd probably flog it, I hate getting sentimental about things. But things can be important.

Hope it finds a good home.