Author Topic: How not to treat a serious injury  (Read 1185 times)

How not to treat a serious injury
« on: 03 September, 2017, 07:16:03 am »
I thought I'd share an experience in the hope that what I've learnt through getting it wrong might prevent someone else making the same mistakes I did. I'm sitting here about to go out for a ride, the first in several weeks.

Rewind to March last year, went off to my normal Thu night badminton group. Stretches before I left, followed by a stiff walk there (about a mile), then a group stretch before we started. First two games pretty energetic. Third game, was caught out anticipating a rear court shot, the blighter popped it just over the net. " I can get there", I think to myself, change direction and take a giant stride towards the net, reaching as I go.

As my left foot plants, BANG. There is a distinct jolt in my left knee which gave way under me and I end up in a heap on the deck. Playing partners report hearing alternately a popping noise or a crack. All I heard was a whimpering noise from me. It was agony, just above the knee to the outside, at the base of the largest quad.

I was helped off the court, clearly this was serious so it was reported to the centre staff and, refusing offers of help,I set off to limp the mile home (Mrs DF was out with the car). Limp is ambitious, I could barely put one foot in front of the other and took 45 minutes to negotiate about 750 yards with little pigeon steps at which point I called Junior DF to come and meet me to help. To his credit he took one look and called his mate who came out, picked us up and took us home? By this time the knee was pretty much seized and agony to bend the smallest amount. Slapped an ice pack on it, Mrs P arrives and I refuse the suggestion of a trip to A & E, preferring to go to bed.

Next day, pain was much better but I could properly limp off to the doctor. There was a distinct yellow bruise , much lower than the site of the injury, below the knee on the outside of the calf. Odd, well away from the obvious site of injury. Doctor diagnoses torn quad and I go off to physio, who confirms 3 distinct pull sites in the Vastus Lateralis, the big bugger on the outside of the thigh. He couldn't explain the bruising below the knee, though. 3 months of physio and I am all cleared, never really happy, the knee has good days and bad but I start riding again, nothing dramatic but 25 mile rides are fine. I have a distinct squidgy lump about the size of an acorn at the site of the original injury.

Fast forward to May this year and I'm training for LEL, a couple of 200's in the bag and I'm on the Lincolnshire Poacher 400, after about 100km the ride climbs steadily from Barton to Louth. Low gear, spin. BANG. The bluddy knee lets go again and i bale, knowing I've just lost LEL (and the rest of the audax season). The squidgy lump is now the size of a walnut.

This time I use my employers private medical cover, mri and ultrasound scans are carried out and a distinct void is identified in the tendon at the base of the VL, actually where the tendon joins the muscle. 4 weeks of immobilisation, then several cc's of fluid are drawn from the tendon and the squidgy lump has almost gone, followed by a steroid jab. And another 6 weeks of immobilisation.

So, here I sit about to go out again.

And the learnings?
1. Walking home on the night of the injury was pig headed in the extreme and I should have gone to hospital straight away. This was obviously a serious injury.
2. The GP diagnosis was incomplete, the injury was more complex than first thought.
3. I should have challenged the lack of explanation about the bruising below the knee.
4. I should not have accepted the squidgy lump as being ok.
5. I shouldn't have been riding with doubts that the problem was fixed.
6. Above all, treat injuries with the respect they deserve to avoid them becoming bigger injuries.

Safe riding all

Re: How not to treat a serious injury
« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2017, 02:07:57 pm »
Thanks for sharing your pain!  I hope your ride went well and that there are many more miles ahead.

I was struck by the similarities of my own current completely different situation, particularly:

1.  I completely underestimated a problem (in my case for a couple of years)
2.  GPs may not have the time or inclination to solve cycling issues
3.  Ignoring something can lead to much bigger problems

My own problem started as a saddle chaffing issue.  I thought lots of Sudocreme and all will be fine, just ignore the blood and pain.

After a year or so it had not healed, had turned into scar tissue and caused lots of pain, swelling and discomfort.  A couple of trips to the GP tried to address possible fungal infection and prescribed various lotions, mostly over the counter.  No success.  I stuck to short but frequent rides and postponed efforts to build up to longer Audaxes, but continued to average 150 miles/week year round.

Lots of expense on shorts and saddles to try and get some level of comfort.  Never more than very minimal relief.  ZeroAQS does keep the surrounding skin soft and supple.

To cut a long story short, I too decided to use the company medical insurance and am lined up to have what is now an ulcer or abscess removed under general anaesthetic, followed by six weeks off the bike.

Of course, I only have myself to blame.

Treat early, treat often!  You often have to insist to medical professionals and yourself.