Author Topic: Thinking about a Carradice Barley or Pendle  (Read 10279 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Thinking about a Carradice Barley or Pendle
« Reply #25 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:22:59 pm »
That Tubus rack is a bit too narrow for attaching a rackpack. It would probably wobble a bit or flop over.
You could replace it with something like a Tortec Ultralite, which is a bit wider (and also has a plate for bolting on a light).

They work fine with an Arkel tail rider, which is an excellent solution for Audax, probably the best.

Seconded.  My only issues with the Tailrider is that the side pockets are a little on the small side, and that (like so many otherwise excellent pieces of luggage) it uses shower-cap technology to keep the non-trivial wet stuff out.  It's quite long, though, so may not be a good match for some racks.

My favourite rack bag is the now-defunct Carradice Prima.  Enough capacity for your winter layers when it turns out not to be that wintery after all, and proper pockets for tools and stuff.  Not properly waterproof either, but that isn't really a problem for day rides.

I reckon saddlebags, while undeniably appealing to a certain aesthetic, are a terrible way to carry Stuff on a bike.  Once you're adding scaffolding to your saddle to support a larger saddlebag, you're clearly doing it wrong[1].

[1] Cantilevered luggage, while sometimes necessary, is a work of Stan.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 12 September, 2017, 10:45:55 pm »
One advantage of certain types of 'scaffolding' is that it allows instant removal of the saddlebag from the bike. This is useful on tour when you want to bring stuff in to your tent/B&B/hotel rather than leave it to get slugged, rained, stolen, messed about with by drunks or whatever might happen (but probably won't) or obviously if you actually want the stuff inside it, as well as on longer audaxes when you want to layer up, redistribute snacks, or whatever, in the warm, dry control rather than standing outside in the rain. I don't actually have either of these supports (the Bagman QR and the Carradice Classic rack – others might be available) so I can't compare the speed of removal to taking a rack pack off a rack, but expect it's quicker.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #27 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:06:06 pm »
Absolutely: the Classic rack means removal involves undoing a single fastex buckle, then lifting frame and bag away.

I'm happy enough to ride with the Pendle without support, but reluctant to muck about doing and undoing buckles *every* *single* *time* I want to fit it or take it away: I'd have considered an SQR fitting, but didn't really want to leave scaffolding on the bike when I took the bag away (nor, to be honest, to buy a new set of scaffolding for every bike I might want to switch the bag onto - given that I like Brooks saddles, I just need to ensure that each bike has one with bag loops).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:16:07 pm »
To be fair, quick-release technology exists for rack bags too.  Topeak, Racktime, probably others.

The typical four-velcro-straps of a rack bag are going to be quicker than the buckles of an unscaffolded Carradice saddlebag in most situations, especially for removal.  The notable exception being when you've got panniers in place on a rack that doesn't have separate rails for them.

The LOMO bag mentioned upthread uses an alternative attachment method that's somewhere in the middle: rack-agnostic velcro holds webbing straps that the back clicks onto.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #29 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:20:44 pm »
Does anyone regularly remove a saddlebag if they don't have one of the QR mechanisms? I doubt it. Mine just stays on the bike all the time. But then I don't really have any reason to remove it. If I were to use it in one of the situations I mentioned earlier, I might invest in eg the Classic rack.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:21:49 pm »
Does anyone regularly remove a saddlebag if they don't have one of the QR mechanisms? I doubt it. Mine just stays on the bike all the time.

This does explain why traditional saddlebag users are so inclined to leave their luggage on the bike when they stop at a control.  I hadn't really thought about it until jsabine's post above.

I tend to be using a rack bag (*rip* *rip* *carry*) or occasionally small Ortlieb panniers (*lift* *carry*), but I will leave it attached if the bike isn't going to be out of sight and I don't need to access the stuff.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #31 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:27:40 pm »
Which shows a disadvantage of easily removable luggage, whether it's rack pack, panniers, saddlebag with QR or whatever.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #32 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:31:27 pm »
I once realized half way through munching a pasty (proper one, not a Ginsters!) at a control point, that I'd left my saddlebag open. Nothing was taken. That was in Bourton on the Water, which might either increase or decrease the chance of random pilferage, I don't know.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #33 on: 13 September, 2017, 12:08:58 am »
Which shows a disadvantage of easily removable luggage, whether it's rack pack, panniers, saddlebag with QR or whatever.
I use a SQR uplift; its straightforward to thread a cable lock through the SQR frame when securing the bike.

Ref Barley v Pendle. The Barley is a dinky little bag to be sure. Whilst only a couple of litre larger, the Pendle seems much more roomy. It may be that you can do a multi-day tour with a Barley but remember you may want to get at the content sometime or maybe add to them (food supplies, whatever). I'm minded of a Barley I 'weighed' at PBP which whilst impressively small had the weight and density of a neutron star....

« Reply #34 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:44:38 am »
I really appreciate the virtual pot of 10c pieces. I think I'll give a green Barley a whirl. I've managed to find a 2nd hand one on here that I can afford.

I'm off now to choose which badges I'll clip to it.

Then again, when I was a teenager, I got paid by classmates to write their names on their bags in Iron Maiden or Def Leppard font. Hmmm.

« Reply #35 on: 14 September, 2017, 11:55:27 am »
Thank you to the person from this parish who sent me my new (to me) Barley. I shall look forward to filling it with senseless goodies.

Samuel D

« Reply #36 on: 14 September, 2017, 12:08:15 pm »
How about a picture when you attach the scaffolding? Unless I’m mistaken, we’re still waiting for a photo of your Spa Elan!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 14 September, 2017, 12:25:02 pm »
One factor with the Bagman is that you need sufficient saddle rail clear behind the seatpost to attach it. I can't find anything about this on Carradice's website but from what I've heard elsewhere it's something like 10 or maybe even 15mm. Perhaps a Bagman user here could confirm/deny/give correct figures?

« Reply #38 on: 14 September, 2017, 12:40:31 pm »
I've done 2 PBP's, without bag drops, and many 600's with a Pendleton mounted on a quick release Bagman. Plenty big enough. The quick release allows you to whip it off and use it as a pillow when the sleep fairies catch you by surprise. Yes, you do need about 15mm of rail behind the seatpost to mount it but for those of us who use a leather saddle this is rarely a problem because it's hard to get the seat far enough back to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

« Reply #39 on: 14 September, 2017, 12:42:10 pm »
Should be Pendle. Bloody Spellchecker!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

« Reply #40 on: 14 September, 2017, 05:43:40 pm »
How about a picture when you attach the scaffolding? Unless I’m mistaken, we’re still waiting for a photo of your Spa Elan!

(NOTE The Barley is capable of portaging an entire bay tree. See 3rd pic)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 14 September, 2017, 05:54:32 pm »
Excellent! Looks good. And as it can carry a whole bay tree, you won't need anything more for work?  :D

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #42 on: 14 September, 2017, 05:59:55 pm »
...Everything else goes in the main bag, except I use the handy D-ring loops on top of the bag with some Zefal toe straps to strap on my raincoat (which frees up more space in the bag). I don't think the Junior has the D-rings on top.
It looks like only the Barley,Camper, Lowsaddle, Carradry and the Super Cs have D-rings on top. The Nelson, Pendle, Cadet and College have leather slots for the same purpose, and the Junior is their only bag without any provision for strapping things on top.

Samuel D

« Reply #43 on: 14 September, 2017, 06:46:32 pm »
The ensemble looks great, right down to the posh headlamp. That whole bicycle is bursting with the spirit of adventure.

I’m still a little unclear about the size difference between the Barley and Junior. Carradice gives implausible figures for capacity versus width at those links, although capacity is a vague concept with these bags anyway.

Thinking about a Carradice Barley or Pendle
« Reply #44 on: 14 September, 2017, 08:18:12 pm »
The ensemble looks great, right down to the posh headlamp. That whole bicycle is bursting with the spirit of adventure

Thank you. Very happy with the lamp. It has been a joy slowly putting this bike together so it looks right. Just realised I've got a matching, little Stanley thermos that I can strap to the top. That flexibility to lash extras to the bag and it's overall look was important. Some of the plain Carradice bags look like camera bags to me.

Excellent! Looks good. And as it can carry a whole bay tree, you won't need anything more for work?  :D

It shall be on display on the Tasty Cheddar. This was my 1st Audax a year ago and you were the first person to come over and chat. You are a mentor of sorts

I'm swapping the bay tree for a medlar as it works much better with cheese. You can help me out the Gorge.

« Reply #45 on: 14 September, 2017, 10:01:37 pm »

« Reply #46 on: 14 September, 2017, 10:59:12 pm »
I’m still a little unclear about the size difference between the Barley and Junior. Carradice gives implausible figures for capacity versus width at those links, although capacity is a vague concept with these bags anyway.

IIRC Carradice do something​ idiosyncratic like quote the dimensions of the main compartment only, but give the capacity of the main compartment + pockets. All part of the charm.

« Reply #47 on: 15 September, 2017, 12:33:13 am »
Interesting that people are saying the Barley is ok up to 300k. I have used my Barley on every single audax I've ever ridden including PBP and LEL. You just need to be very considered about what you put in there- I wouldn't want to be lugging more stuff than that on a long ride anyway.

You can always strap a waterproof on top if you want to.

I personally like the side pockets for items I want to grab quickly such as energy bars, my small lock, some latex gloves in case chain needs touching etc.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #48 on: 15 September, 2017, 09:23:58 am »

It shall be on display on the Tasty Cheddar. This was my 1st Audax a year ago and you were the first person to come over and chat. You are a mentor of sorts

I'm swapping the bay tree for a medlar as it works much better with cheese. You can help me out the Gorge.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggh! You're doomed! You're actually the second person to refer to me as a mentor in an audax context, which is ironic given I'm the least audacious audaxer in existence. I should start a new form of cycling, tentax – as in tentative, not camping. Though camping's good too... Anyway, I'm now looking forward to a pint with you at the Lamplighters!

« Reply #49 on: 15 September, 2017, 11:38:30 am »